Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 12:00 PM

7,640 posts, read 8,713,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Curious how they plan to test the vaccine. Are they going to purposely try to infect those that received the test vaccine?
I read that the first person (a mother of two) was injected vaccine that does not contain the virus. something called mRNA vaccine. I'm ignorant as to why without the virus component it's called vaccine, though.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:07 PM

806 posts, read 604,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post
No one knows but they just delivered the first dose of coronavirus vaccine to a human. If they don't get the virus it is a success, if they form other problems then stocks can fall. This is a major step. It is out of question how far they are to mass produce this vaccine for everyone.
I know someone working on this in Seattle. If it follows normal FDA channels it will take a year and half to get approved. Considering this is an emergency situation and there is a good chance it comes back end of year again I hope they allow some experimental use of it way before.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:17 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,667,720 times
Just put almost $50k into income stocks today.

3...2...1...blast off!

Eat my expended rocket fuel, negative nillies!

Old 03-17-2020, 12:28 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,555,413 times
Vaccines are given to healthy groups of individuals at highest risk (health workers) and then they will compare them to colleagues who did not get the vaccine. If it's blinded, neither groups will know whether they got the placebo or the vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Curious how they plan to test the vaccine. Are they going to purposely try to infect those that received the test vaccine?

Old 03-17-2020, 03:33 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
"Even if the research goes well, a vaccine would not be available for widespread use for 12 to 18 months, said Dr. Anthony Fauci of the U.S. National Institutes of Health."

Way too much has shut down for me to get bullish.

Last edited by sholomar; 03-17-2020 at 03:41 PM..

Old 03-17-2020, 05:29 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,005 times
For thos not into pure stocks, how about ETFs and mutual funds? is now a good time to buy? Likes of ITOT...?

Old 03-17-2020, 08:21 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I read that the first person (a mother of two) was injected vaccine that does not contain the virus. something called mRNA vaccine. I'm ignorant as to why without the virus component it's called vaccine, though.
A vaccine doesn't need a virus or bacterium to be called one. All it has to do is stimulate the immune system's production of targeted antibodies. In this case, the vaccine codes for the spike protein of the coronavirus. The mRNA for the spike protein on its own is harmless. The body uses the mRNA to make the protein, the immune system makes antibodies against it, and when the actual virus attacks, the immune system recognizes it based on the spike protein.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:03 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,059,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Here comes the moonshot. I am predicting new highs in stocks by mid-May. Sounds crazy but people also said the same thing about my market correction prediction in early 2020 and my call back in 2019 for a deflationary recession by July 2020.

Bearishness is extreme now. Watch how quickly the tables turn here. The Fed and central banks around the world are engaged in record easing as I have predicted would happen. The virus is the excuse for this easing, but major cracks in liquidity were starting to show in late summer 2019. When the hysteria over the virus diminishes that record easing is still in place. Extremely bullish in the shorter-term for stocks.

If you follow my posts on here I predicted a correction in early 2020 where the little grasshoppers would get fried. Then we have a final moonshot in equities due to extreme CB intervention. It will be a quick manic run up over the course of the next few months. Then after the manic high wears off we get a 50+% bust in equities on the back half of 2020 into 2021. It will be absolutely brutal.

Watch and see!

I recently posted in the Las Vegas forum how this is possible, but it will be absolutely horrible if it does. If this happens, it will be because of currency devaluation. It would be the exact same situation that happened in Venezuela. In other words, the DOW would be at 100,000, but a gallon of milk would cost $1,000. I do not see the 50% drop in this scenerio . Just to be clear, I am not saying any of this is going to happen, just that it is a possibility.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:09 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Nah... I'm short, I have a nice profitable trade, and I'm staying short.
Bought DOG on Mar 6.
The economy will be badly injured by this virus. Not just the US - the world. Today's rise was, I believe a bull trap. The bulls saw the market increase, they all rushed in, and the market resumes its drop.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:25 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Nah... I'm short, I have a nice profitable trade, and I'm staying short.
Bought DOG on Mar 6.
The economy will be badly injured by this virus. Not just the US - the world. Today's rise was, I believe a bull trap. The bulls saw the market increase, they all rushed in, and the market resumes its drop.
Agreed. We're in shutdown at the moment. I can still see things bouncing back if we all are able to leave shutdown quickly, but this is one hell of a gamble.

I'm not pulling my money, but I don't think I'm adding any more until August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing