Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:14 AM

140 posts, read 111,971 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Iowa. We are from Nevada where there is a huge illegal immigration population. Can anyone tell me if illegal immigration is much of an issue in Iowa. How about drugs, crime, taxes, etc. Anything else, good or bad, that you could tell me would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 10-28-2007, 12:27 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,540 times
depends on the city really. Council Bluffs, Sioux City, and Ottumwa (plus a few others that are escaping me) will have quite a few illegals. Also those towns have a decent amount of crime (not necessarily violent crime) and drug use, can't be solely blamed on the illegals of course. Head to places like Iowa City and Des Moines and you'll see some drug use but generally confined to the college crowd and mostly alcohol and marijuana.

Being born and raised here in Iowa City I couldn't live anywhere else in the state, and I'd take a pretty decent sized pay cut to stay in the area.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
In Central Iowa, Perry and Marshalltown have problems with illegals from Mexico and Central America. Much of this is due to the packing plants who will sometimes hire illegals because they're willing to work for the wages Americans aren't willing to work for (not the jobs Americans aren't willing to do...). Both of these places (and other packing towns in Iowa) have both illegal immigrants and legal immigrants.

Des Moines's South and/or East sides have problems with illegal immigrants, especially around the SE 14th area. Over the past few years we're seeing some MS-13 graffiti, but who knows how serious it really is.

Although we do have problems in this department, we are still faring better than most of the United States in this respect. Who knows what will happen in the future, but I can assure you we're getting there slower than Nevada.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 AM

884 posts, read 1,034,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
depends on the city really. Council Bluffs, Sioux City, and Ottumwa (plus a few others that are escaping me) will have quite a few illegals. Also those towns have a decent amount of crime (not necessarily violent crime) and drug use, can't be solely blamed on the illegals of course. Head to places like Iowa City and Des Moines and you'll see some drug use but generally confined to the college crowd and mostly alcohol and marijuana.

Being born and raised here in Iowa City I couldn't live anywhere else in the state, and I'd take a pretty decent sized pay cut to stay in the area.

Council Bluffs has very few illegal’s. Actually, C.B. has very few Mexicans for that matter. Maybe what you are thinking of is South Omaha? Many Mexicans from South Omaha shop in C.B. also.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:21 AM

310 posts, read 1,282,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Council Bluffs has very few illegal’s. Actually, C.B. has very few Mexicans for that matter. Maybe what you are thinking of is South Omaha? Many Mexicans from South Omaha shop in C.B. also.
I don't know really, last time I was there I was helping an old friend with some housework (new deck etc) and went to Menards and Home Depot and in stereotypical movie fashion there were about 40 illegals (this is an assumption that they were illegal) standing around asking for work in very broken english.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
I don't know really, last time I was there I was helping an old friend with some housework (new deck etc) and went to Menards and Home Depot and in stereotypical movie fashion there were about 40 illegals (this is an assumption that they were illegal) standing around asking for work in very broken english.
Wow, I've never seen that before. That pisses me off actually. Something needs to be done about the illegal’s. Maybe the Mexican Gov't can get off their asses and create some jobs. I'm so tired of this immigration crap.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Wow, I've never seen that before. That pisses me off actually. Something needs to be done about the illegal’s. Maybe the Mexican Gov't can get off their asses and create some jobs. I'm so tired of this immigration crap.

They can try to create some jobs or at least stop encouraging their citizens to cross the border. Their government has issued maps, pamphlets on how to safely cross the border and "survival kits" to Mexican citizens to get them across the border. It works out in their favor because they get some of their poorest citizens off their hands and usually end up getting a boost to the economy via money transfers back to family members in Mexico. Do a google search on how the Mexican government aids illegal immigration, it's a little disturbing.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:56 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
well let's not forget that our govt hasn't exactly been too keen on closing up the borders. It is not by coincidence that immigration has exploded the way it is. If american employers were not hiring them or giving them drivers licenses, medical insurance and whatever else, they would not come. I don't blame the immigrants for coming. They just want to find work to feed their families. I do blame corporate america as well as all the mom & pop shops who hire them to save money instead of paying americans more money. it's all about greed.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
well let's not forget that our govt hasn't exactly been too keen on closing up the borders. It is not by coincidence that immigration has exploded the way it is. If american employers were not hiring them or giving them drivers licenses, medical insurance and whatever else, they would not come. I don't blame the immigrants for coming. They just want to find work to feed their families. I do blame corporate america as well as all the mom & pop shops who hire them to save money instead of paying americans more money. it's all about greed.

I agree with you. Our government hasn't done much to fight illegal immigration since the 50's. If greedy business owners wouldn't hire them, they wouldn't come here. I don't blame them for coming here either, it seems like a no-brainer for them. I'd place more blame on those who hire illegals. You can't really expect a foreign national to say "you know, my being here really hurts America so I think I'll stay home", but you expect a little more loyalty from your own citizens.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:17 AM

I'm in agreement also. I think the first step to solving this is figuring out how the Mexican gov't can manipulate its economy in a way it can at least start creating more construction trade jobs for the short term. I know their tourism industry is booming right now and that is helping but they need more. I don't know enough about Mexico's economy to really get into specifics but what they are doing right now isn't working.

Call me racists or whatever you want but I for one am tired of living with a huge influx of Mexicans. I don't know what it is, maybe the rise in violent crime, the foreign language on a daily basis or how all their vehicles have a giant spoilers and itty bitty tires on them. Anyway, I guess it's a waist of time discussing it because nothing will ever be done about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa