Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 11:19 AM

253 posts, read 123,842 times

Advertisements

It's obvious that some commenters have learned (sic) about transgenderism from tv talking heads or ideological websites (or worse, the other guys at the tavern), rather than from authoritative medical and/or human psychology sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 11:23 AM

6,633 posts, read 4,310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
It sounds to me like its more confusing to the adults than to the kids. Kids don't care. They literally do not care.

I am so tired of this "think of the children" nonsense. George Carlin was tired of it, as am I. Its a vessel for intolerant grown ups to spew their own intolerance or ignorance.

We live in a nation where a reality TV star was president, and people politicised wearing masks for who knows what reason. That to me, is far more confusing than the fact that some people change their sex.
Thankfully, there are people in this world who still do think about what’s best for our children. If people want to change their sex, that’s up to them, and I don’t have a problem with it. I just don’t think it’s in the best interest of elementary school-age children to have a man (who talks like a man) dressed like a woman teaching them.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:02 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Thankfully, there are people in this world who still do think about what’s best for our children. If people want to change their sex, that’s up to them, and I don’t have a problem with it. I just don’t think it’s in the best interest of elementary school-age children to have a man (who talks like a man) dressed like a woman teaching them.
And I'll say this, as a gay married man, who plans to adopt children (the horror!) if my child, at a very young age, told me they were transgender, I would listen to them, but explain to them that they are still very young, and may not understand what that means yet, but I will still listen to them with respect. I don't believe that a 7 year old knows for sure that they are trans because as a gay man, I had no idea what gay was at 7 years old. And I certainly will not have my child go through any sex change procedure while they are underage. However... I am also fully aware that every transgender adult in the year 2023, was at one point, a child. Whether they knew they were trans at 7, I doubt, but I am sure there were signs. Its a complicated thing to deal with as both a child and a parent... but no teacher will ever influence them to "be trans." I also don't believe that a teacher, trans or otherwise, should be pushing "being trans" on any children.

But... simply being trans and a teacher, does not mean the same as pushing it on children. I also don't think children are going to gravitate to everything about a teacher lol. I loved a lot of my teachers but I had no desire to live their lives.

I would be more concerned about Iowa's high obesity rate. I mean, what if my child has an obese teacher? Are they going to be influenced into stuffing their faces with cheeseburgers? Obesity can be very dangerous. I would rather my child be transgender than obese. Hmmmm.....

See how ridiculous this sounds? Are you against teachers in wheelchairs also? I mean, wouldn't wanna encourage a child to break their legs!

Old 02-06-2023, 09:05 AM

77 posts, read 135,608 times
Quote:
I am so tired of this "think of the children" nonsense. George Carlin was tired of it, as am I. Its a vessel for intolerant grown ups to spew their own intolerance or ignorance.
Just out of curiosity, say a white bald male with swastikas tattooed on his forehead driving a car that had white power and NRA stickers all over the bumper were to be your child's teacher, would you not be concerned? If you would be concerned, does that now make you a hypocrite?

I think people have a right to be concerned with whomever teaches their children, especially people who fall out of societal norms. I'm not saying that the OP is a bad person or uncapable of teaching children, but I would probably be concerned until I had a chance to meet them in person and judge for myself. Likewise, I would feel the same way about a white supremacist.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:05 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
It’s not a question of not being able to teach. Children are influenced by teachers, especially young children.
Then it’s ok if I don’t want a Christian teaching my kid because I don’t want their beliefs to influence my kid. Right?

Old 02-06-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthenderson View Post
Just out of curiosity, say a white bald male with swastikas tattooed on his forehead driving a car that had white power and NRA stickers all over the bumper were to be your child's teacher, would you not be concerned? If you would be concerned, does that now make you a hypocrite?

I think people have a right to be concerned with whomever teaches their children, especially people who fall out of societal norms. I'm not saying that the OP is a bad person or uncapable of teaching children, but I would probably be concerned until I had a chance to meet them in person and judge for myself. Likewise, I would feel the same way about a white supremacist.
Yea, lets compare being transgender to a Neo-Nazi.

You have no argument here, sir. You are comparing a person simply being trans, to someone who believes a dangerous hate filled ideology. Also, I don't like the NRA, but I wouldn't give a toss if someone had an NRA sticker. White power is a different ball game. Again, you're comparing apples to anvils.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:53 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,358,184 times
Quote:
The issue here is teachers can be very influential in a child’s development, especially in younger children This influence can be indirect. I guess it all depends on whether you want your child to be exposed to this. I would never allow my elementary school age child to be taught by a trans person, but to each, his/her own..
And what exactly is your fear? Your children understanding from an early age that there are all types of beautiful, caring humans?

No one in the LGBTQ+ community is out there trying to convince children or others to "become" something they are not. People in this community understand more than most that one's orientation isn't a choice. They are there to say, "It's okay. You're not alone."

Old 02-07-2023, 06:44 AM

565 posts, read 472,761 times
I had to run to the store for more popcorn and soda. What did I miss?

Old 02-07-2023, 08:16 AM

77 posts, read 135,608 times
Quote:
Yea, lets compare being transgender to a Neo-Nazi.

You have no argument here, sir. You are comparing a person simply being trans, to someone who believes a dangerous hate filled ideology. Also, I don't like the NRA, but I wouldn't give a toss if someone had an NRA sticker. White power is a different ball game. Again, you're comparing apples to anvils.
You are assuming beliefs for the person in my scenario but not for the transgender person (who you assume doesn't have contrary beliefs). Can't someone with a Nazi tattoo on their forehead have a child's best interest at heart? You are judging them by appearance, EXACTLY like others on here have done for the transgender person. You are every bit part of the problem that you are crying out against. You want only people you judge acceptable to teach children but not someone that other people might deem acceptable that goes against your beliefs.

My point to all this isn't that the transgender person shouldn't teach our kids. My point is that I understand why people might be a bit leery without getting to know them first, exactly as they would someone with a Nazi tattoo on their forehead. That doesn't make them backwards, ignorant or racist. It makes them a concerned parent wanting what was best for their child, exactly what you said you were tired of hearing used as an excuse.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthenderson View Post
You are assuming beliefs for the person in my scenario but not for the transgender person (who you assume doesn't have contrary beliefs). Can't someone with a Nazi tattoo on their forehead have a child's best interest at heart? You are judging them by appearance, EXACTLY like others on here have done for the transgender person. You are every bit part of the problem that you are crying out against. You want only people you judge acceptable to teach children but not someone that other people might deem acceptable that goes against your beliefs.

My point to all this isn't that the transgender person shouldn't teach our kids. My point is that I understand why people might be a bit leery without getting to know them first, exactly as they would someone with a Nazi tattoo on their forehead. That doesn't make them backwards, ignorant or racist. It makes them a concerned parent wanting what was best for their child, exactly what you said you were tired of hearing used as an excuse.
One is LITERALLY based on political/ideological belief, the other is a gender identity. "You are assuming the beliefs of the person in my scenario," homie... they are literally EXPRESSING their beliefs with their tattoos and bumper stickers. Its not like the trans person has a "hammer and sickle" tattoo and is teaching the communist manifesto.

A trans person can literally be a neo-Nazi as well. Being trans simply means being trans. Has zero to do with beliefs. Most trans people just wanna be accepted and respected. They aren't pushing anything.

Also, as a gay person who is not 100% white, neo-Nazis are literally against my very existence. Its actually disrespectful to use that as a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa