Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM

459 posts, read 2,227,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Not necessarily. It depends on what type of tax you are talking about.
The net effect: Taxes in Iowa are every bit as high as in Minnesota. Where Iowa may have a slighly lower sales tax and personal income tax, Iowa more than makes up for by having an exponentially higher property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 AM

33 posts, read 134,580 times
Hm. Ames is coming out of this discussion pretty well. Thanks all for the comments. Any other Ames-ians able to chime in?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:22 AM

28 posts, read 121,083 times
I haven't lived in Ames, but did live in a southwest suburb of Minneapolis. We could not wait to leave Mpls and return to Iowa (in the Iowa City area which would be somewhat more similar to Ames given the University communtiy). First of all, the traffic was awful in the Twin Cities. I mean bottleneck, one foot on the brake one on the gas type stuff. Despite being 23 miles from downtown Mpls, the drive took anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 hours (or more if there were accidents or slick roads). I know, we should have lived further in towards Mpls if we were going to work downtown, but having lived in Iowa all my life to that point, I couldn't fathom a 23 mile drive taking that long, but that's another conversation for another day. Having to leave our home before 7 AM and not getting back until maybe 7 PM daily takes its toll. Saturdays in MN for us were spent doing the types of errands (picking up the dry cleaning, shopping, etc) that we are easily able to do after work in Iowa. I know that sounds trivial, but it does add up after a while. Prior to living in MN, we lived in the Quad Cities area of Iowa and we realized that we actually did MORE in Chicago when living in the QC (even though it's 3 hrs away) than we did in the twin cities while living in a Mpls suburb.

Even though I have not lived in Ames (and I'm a Hawkeye), I would definitely live in Ames over any Mpls suburb. You can visit many places within a 3-4 hour drive from Ames, but when you live amongst it all in the big city, you have hassles and expenses. For us, the daily routine was just too much. Living is just plain better in Iowa but sometimes it takes going away to realize it.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:21 AM

603 posts, read 573,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartmanfamily4 View Post
We have the opportunity to move to Minnesota or Iowa and after doing some research online I really would prefer Minnesota. Our 2 children are 4 and 5. There seems to be more to do with children in MN than in Iowa. Also, we would like to live outside the city in a small home town. A good place to raise a family. We love the water, snow, biking, hiking, parks, etc. My husband is leaning towards Ames, Iowa and I am trying to convince him that moving to Minneapolis, MN would be a better all around experience, good schools, quaint towns, houses to choose from, Lakes, Parks, etc. Any advice or opinions on our two choices?
In general, Iowa is a much friendlier place than Minnesota. This holds true for both Minneapolis and smaller outlying communities.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM

603 posts, read 573,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
In general, Iowa is a much friendlier place than Minnesota. This holds true for both Minneapolis and smaller outlying communities.
I'm going to second this. Minnesota is probably the least friendly midwestern state I've been to (and I've been to them all except for North Dakota). It's more like the northeast, except that people are passive-agressive instead of in your face. If you have a choice, go to Ames.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
I'm going to second this. Minnesota is probably the least friendly midwestern state I've been to (and I've been to them all except for North Dakota). It's more like the northeast, except that people are passive-agressive instead of in your face. If you have a choice, go to Ames.
Well, thank you for coming back and reaffirming a post you made over 2 years ago

Old 04-10-2012, 12:44 PM

249 posts, read 504,411 times
I will say this as a former resident of both Ames and the Twin Cities (city and suburbs). Ames likes to think it is progressive and a very well-planned city but in the end everything new is just ugly apartments and suburban houses on the fringe of town. I am saying this because my in-laws own a farm near the town and experienced some "growth-management" issues with the city of Ames. After all of the headaches and "planning" Ames ends up just like every other suburban town in the country. They like to think they are doing so well and being conscience but drive to the west side of town and tell me S. Dakota Ave is attractive and unique. At least in MPLS you have many new things taking shape.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 AM

14 posts, read 33,415 times
Quote:
That happens actually everywhere in the US, especially toward foreigners or gay guys in colleges, even more liberal like in Chicago. I knew one guy who had few "great" guyfriends but in the end when they learned that he is gay, they stopped talking to him, did not want to see him in any party or charity event actively involved by their friends or been just plain mean. Although these guys were not primarily from Chicago or its suburbs but rather from small towns in Midwest. The guy never hit on them, and one of them even "hit" on him once by bumping onto him when he sat on couch watching tv. And most friends he made weren't staying long with him because his English is a second language, mostly fluent but had a thick accent.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Quote:
this is perhaps the lamest attempt ever to validate one's own post because no-one else would. I'll be back in 2014 to sanction my post as proof.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:12 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,195,089 times
It sounds like Movingrightalong is less friendly than both most Iowans and most Minnesotans and the repost after no validation demonstrates it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa