Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 03:16 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Did any of you read this story?

Florida pastor oversees Quran burning - USATODAY.com

I am speechless, maybe because the whole thing is so ridiculous, or maybe because I can't stop laughing.

I mean, after they found the poor Quran guilty, they had to decide how to punish it, and they actually considered drowning it or having it face a firing squad.

Since our Supreme Court has decided there is nothing wrong with burning the American flag, I don't see any problem with burning a Quran. How do you all feel about this?

P.S. I just read the story again. It said the 'trial' took six hours! Can you believe the people stayed around that long? It sure is fun being an American, isn't it?
It's completely juvenile and retarded behavior. Yet another reason why I don't want to be a christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 04:05 PM

659 posts, read 1,102,182 times
If they had put it in front of a firing squad, I hope they'd at least have the decency to offer it a final cigarette.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:26 PM

124 posts, read 166,691 times
I don't know why this is even news.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:06 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I burned one of my bibles....Is that bad?
well i hope you were green about it and used the ashes for fertilizer.

doesn't that mean you are going to roast in hell..

Old 03-23-2011, 10:42 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
I didn't burn it all at once...I used it up gradually over the winter to light my fireplace.....My bad!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
It is just a book, but you are totally missing the point on this. If it were you, or me, just plain dudes who did this, no big deal. But here is a guy who calls himself a man of god, a theologist, a PASTOR, THIS is what makes this such a horrible thing. Do you NOT get that?
It doesn'y surprise me at all that a Christian pastor did it, especially since he's the same one who threatened to do it before. I don't think it's a "horrible" thing, any more than burning any other book is, but it is a silly amd stupid thing. He is attempting to show what a great Christian he is by burning a book which he considers evil and sacrilegious, and most likely wants to inflame Muslim passions. What a doofus.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
Very poor taste. How would that pastor like it if someone burned a photograph of his daughter? That is the best analogy I can think of. The Quran is very special and dear to the hearts of Muslims and represents the Word of God to them which is priceless in their estimation. Similarly, a photograph of the pastor's daughter would be very special and dear to the pastor's heart and represents his daughter who is priceless to him.

It is just disrespectful, rude and uncalled for; and I am saying this as an atheist. The Quran may be just a book to us just like a photograph of some stranger is just a photograph to us, but both mean a lot more than "just a book" or "just a photo" to the people who cherish them. Why go out of your way to emotionally hurt other people? It is just cruel and disgraceful.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:20 AM

124 posts, read 166,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Very poor taste. How would that pastor like it if someone burned a photograph of his daughter? That is the best analogy I can think of.
I think a better analogy would be that of Muslims burning the Bible.

And wait... I think that just might happen. In fact, it happens all the time. So while I think it's stupid of this "pastor" to publicly burn a Koran, why they utter hypocrisy on the part of the Muslims?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGeorge View Post
I think a better analogy would be that of Muslims burning the Bible.

And wait... I think that just might happen. In fact, it happens all the time. So while I think it's stupid of this "pastor" to publicly burn a Koran, why they utter hypocrisy on the part of the Muslims?
That is a very good point, David.

We are supposed to accept people that may offend us by burning the American flag or a Christian bible, but then we are supposed to tiptoe around other people because we might offend them by burning a Quran.

In general, I think people who get offended easily take themselves a little too seriously.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Eh, it's just a book. One that has been reprinted many times over since the burning. It's not a one of a kind artifact. In short, I could not care less. Burn away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam