Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:03 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times

Advertisements

Protesters, upset that a Muslim group was holding a conference at a Texas conference center owned by the local school district, showed up last night waving flags and signs telling attendees, “Go home and take Obama with you.”

The conference, entitled “Stand With the Prophet Against Terror and Hate,” was being being put on as a fundraiser for a Chicago-based Islamic group, Sound Vision, and approximately about 500 attendees were expected, reports NBC-DFW.

Holding signs saying “You are not Americans. Don’t fly our flag,” protesters complained about the Garland Independent School District allowing the group to use the facility.

“We pay our taxes to that school, and I don’t want them here,” one woman, Lavona Martindale said.

Another protester, identified as Greg McKinley, said, “We’re here to stand up for the American way of life from a faction of people who are trying to destroy us.”

McKinley added, “If they want to live their life like the middle east, they can go back to the middle east.”

“I want for people to see that we are kind peaceful people,” explained conference attendee Page Spence. “We’re not here to fight, we’re not here to argue. We’re just here to show that we’re Americans too.”

SOURCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 06:02 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,549 times
Not cool. Were they allowed to have the meeting? I hope so. I don't think the story said if they did have the meeting or not.

It's nice to see in the comments that most people realize how wrong the protesters are.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
Not cool. Were they allowed to have the meeting? I hope so. I don't think the story said if they did have the meeting or not.

It's nice to see in the comments that most people realize how wrong the protesters are.
Yes the comments did help me understand that there still is hope

Old 01-18-2015, 09:27 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
I thank God that we live in a free country where we can protest against these types of things. Otherwise we would live in fear as does much of the muslim world in the middle east. Long live freedom!!!

Old 01-19-2015, 05:10 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,350,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Protesters, upset that a Muslim group was holding a conference at a Texas conference center owned by the local school district, showed up last night waving flags and signs telling attendees, “Go home and take Obama with you.”

The conference, entitled “Stand With the Prophet Against Terror and Hate,” was being being put on as a fundraiser for a Chicago-based Islamic group, Sound Vision, and approximately about 500 attendees were expected, reports NBC-DFW.

Holding signs saying “You are not Americans. Don’t fly our flag,” protesters complained about the Garland Independent School District allowing the group to use the facility.

“We pay our taxes to that school, and I don’t want them here,” one woman, Lavona Martindale said.

Another protester, identified as Greg McKinley, said, “We’re here to stand up for the American way of life from a faction of people who are trying to destroy us.”

McKinley added, “If they want to live their life like the middle east, they can go back to the middle east.”

“I want for people to see that we are kind peaceful people,” explained conference attendee Page Spence. “We’re not here to fight, we’re not here to argue. We’re just here to show that we’re Americans too.”

SOURCE
Yeah...my past boss was born in Iran. He had a German accent and was very likeable. He was a landscape surveyor. He'd have to go onto people's private property to measure. Sometimes they'd ask questions like "Why didn't they send an American out?"

Not only did he have American citizenship...he was the only one who worked for his company except for his assistants, so sending "an American" out would not be an option.

We went to measure in St. Louis one time and I'd forgotten a hat, which was important to keep the glare from my eyes. He made me wear this goofy cowboy hat. I sometimes wonder if it was so at least one of us would look extra patriotic and 'Murican so we wouldn't have to worry about angry, overzealous self-described patriots as much.

He did say it was worse in Germany though.

Unfortunately, I cannot apologize on behalf of stupid people who are not me. I wish I could though.

I have a buddy who came here from Pakistan with his family immediately after the World Trade Center attacks. He couldn't speak English and was ten years old at the time. Needless to say, he did not have a pleasant experience. He's quite friendly and a huge socialite though. Personally, I like to hide in my cave and avoid human contact 23 of the 24 hours per day if at all possible. He likes to be around as many people as possible, constantly. People give him these weird looks...and it bothers me, because this is a very friendly outgoing person who, if he had his way, would probably be best pals with everyone on Earth except while they're drinking, smoking or playing with pets. This guy is not a threat. I'm more of a threat. I am a quite shady-looking, frequently unshaven character who kind of twitches. If someone assumes I'm planning on blowing up a building...yeah, okay. That's understandable. Not this social butterfly born in Pakistan though.

He says he's stopped caring what others think and just tells his opinions to everyone. He doesn't think anyone should drink alcohol or smoke...and that makes sense. His diet, which is mostly vegetarian, is probably healthier than that of most people in the U.S., because he only eats halal food, and most restaurants don't sell halal meat. I had two dogs until they passed away, but we both think that oftentimes it's unwise to get a pet. People get dogs sometimes because they see a cute new toy, rather than a living animal, and then they realize that this is not a toy.

I disagree with a few of his views...but despite that he plans on getting an arranged marriage if he cannot meet someone here, I've met many Christians I've disagreed with more about than this guy.

Last edited by Clintone; 01-19-2015 at 06:11 AM..

Old 01-19-2015, 12:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I thank God that we live in a free country where we can protest against these types of things. Otherwise we would live in fear as does much of the muslim world in the middle east. Long live freedom!!!
Agreed about having freedom, even when it entails the freedom to show what buttheads we can be.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:58 PM

I am almost certain that those protestors are among the most frequent to holler "Muslims never speak out against violence"

Since the protestors were objecting to a conference condemning violence by radical Muslims, does that mean they support terrorism by radical Muslims?

Old 01-19-2015, 06:35 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,787,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Since the protestors were objecting to a conference condemning violence by radical Muslims, does that mean they support terrorism by radical Muslims?
Unfortunately, Woodrow, I think they do. In the same way Isis, Al Qauida, and the Wahabbists support and encourage kneejerk, indiscriminate killing by western nations, the same way they need offensive cartoons and books. You cannot really expect your people to begin killing and oppressing another group until you have removed their humanity sufficiently.

Thus, we get "the Protocols of the Elders of Zion", the rhetoric of the Orangemen, the Carlisle Indian School, the treatment of Africans as subhuman, the label of the Great Satan, and the accusation that all Muslims are terrorists. It is much easier to generate the public hatred necessary to oppress others if you can goad then into acting offensively. Wholesale lies are much harder to pull off...

-NoCapo

Old 01-19-2015, 08:33 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,893,139 times
I have seen some videos from the conference and everyone seemed to be behaving very peacefully, just like Americans are supposed to.

Some of the protesters were holding signs against sharia law and one guy in the conference said he wanted to have sharia law established in the United States. People are entitled to express their opinions.

None of us should be too upset when people disagree with us.

Last edited by hiker45; 01-19-2015 at 08:50 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 04:42 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,759,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I have seen some videos from the conference and everyone seemed to be behaving very peacefully, just like Americans are supposed to.

Some of the protesters were holding signs against sharia law and one guy in the conference said he wanted to have sharia law established in the United States. People are entitled to express their opinions.

None of us should be too upset when people disagree with us.
The article made it seem like all the protesters were not very nice, and did not say anything about Sharia Law. I agree that everyone should be able to express their opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam