Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 AM

105 posts, read 90,667 times

Advertisements

In Hadith, he says to kill dogs.

So what's up with such hatred?

Also, if you live in Muslim countries and if you have a dog, do people really see you as some kind of filth?

Old 07-17-2016, 08:26 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
I follow many Muslims in the Middle East on Instagram and most of the people I follow have dogs. Though, they are animal rescuers and most take in the animals they rescue.

Please don't paint with such a broad stroke. There are many Middle Eastern Muslim people that love all animals; they might not own dogs, but they don't hate them or want to kill them. In a religious sense dogs are seen as unclean because cleanliness is emphasized in Islam, and there are many that don't own dogs for that reason. However, in Islam harming an animal is haraam or forbidden.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:43 AM

105 posts, read 90,667 times
So all Muslims are vegetarians?

Old 07-17-2016, 09:01 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,066,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyjobs View Post

Also, if you live in Muslim countries and if you have a dog, do people really see you as some kind of filth?

That is one of the biggest misunderstandings passed down.

For Beginnings look up the history of Salukis and Afghan Hounds. Two breeds of dogs developed almost exclusively by Muslims. Also still raised by Muslims in Muslim counties.

As for the hadith there was an instance in which Muhammad(saws) was asked if there were animals it was permissible to kill on site. There were 6 witnesses 5 of them related that Muhaamad(saws) stated "Mad Dogs" (rabid dogs) as one of the animals permissible to kill on sight, the sixth witness related it as "Dogs" that is the hadith non-Muslims typically quote.
Unaware that 5 other witnesses stated "Mad Dogs" not dogs in general.

Bukhari:

004.054.532- Beginning of Creation - - - -
Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar
Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful of a person in the state of Ihram to kill any of these five animals: The scorpion, the rat, the rabid dog, the crow and the kite."

004.054.531- Beginning of Creation - - - -
Narrated 'Aisha
The Prophet said, "Five kinds of animals are mischief-doers and can bekilled even in the Sanctuary: They are the rat the scorpion, the kite,the crow and the rabid dog."

Also from Bukhari:

004.056.673- Virtues and Merits of the Prophet (pbuh) and his Companions - - - -
Narrated Abu Huraira
The Prophet said, "While a dog was going round a well and was about to die of thirst, an Israeli prostitute saw it and took off her shoe and watered it. So Allah forgave her because of that good deed."

008.073.038 - Good Manners and Form (Al-Adab) - - - -

Narrated Abu Huraira
Allah's Apostle said, "While a man was walking on a road. he became very thirsty. Then he came across a well, got down into it, drank (of its water) and then came out. Meanwhile he saw a dog panting and licking mud because of excessive thirst. The man said to himself "This dog is suffering from the same state of thirst as I did." So he went down the well (again) and filled his shoe (with water) and held it in his mouth and watered the dog. Allah thanked him for that deed and forgave him." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving the animals?" He said, "(Yes) There is a reward for serving any animate (living being) ."

Old 07-17-2016, 09:11 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
So all Muslims are vegetarians?
No. The only time a Muslim can kill an animal is for food. Muslims wouldn't be eating dogs or cats, anyway.

It makes me laugh - people jump on the "Islam is horrible because they hate dogs and want to kill them" bandwagon, yet they don't flinch with Chinese practices.

In China, during the Yulin festival dogs are killed and eaten. It's disgusting.

http://time.com/2891222/yullin-festival-dog-meat-china/

Old 07-17-2016, 09:26 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,480 times
Quote:

Seems that it contradicts itself, the quran confirms the Godly authority of the Bible:

Surah al-i'Imran 3:3 He has revealed this Book to you, setting forth the truth and confirming the earlier Books, and earlier He revealed the Torah and Gospel

But the Bible says not to be cruel to animals but that the righteous regard them. Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

Hadith 3811 Abdullah (b. Umar) (Allaah be pleased with them) reported: Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) ordered the killing of dogs and we would send (men) in Medina and its corners and we did not spare any dog that we did not kill, so much so that we killed the dog that accompanied the wet she-camel belonging to the people of the desert.

So you decide, was it a righteous or a wicked thing to kill all those animals? Mind you, these weren't sacrifices God ordained, before you throw that back at me. This is just purposeless animal slaughter.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,163,840 times
OK, let's look at the hadith ... what Muhammed is documented to have said and done. This is not the quran.

"From Bukhari Vol. 4, #540

Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar: Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed.

From Abu Dawud #2839

Abd Allah B. Mughaffal reported the apostle of Allah as saying: Were dogs not a species of creature I should command that they all be killed; but kill every pure black one.

The Hadith's note for #2839 says, "The prophet did not order the killing of all the dogs, for some are to be retained for hunting and watching. He ordered to kill the jet black ones. They might be more mischievous among them.

From Muslim #3814

Ibn Mughaffal reported: Allah's messenger ordered the killing of dogs and then said, "what is the trouble with them (the people of Medina? How dogs are nuisances to them (the citizens of Medina)? He then permitted keeping of dogs for hunting and (the protection of) herds. ...[and for] for the protection of cultivated land.

From Muslim #Number 055

Ibn Mughaffal reported: The Messenger of Allah ordered killing of the dogs, and then said: What about them, i. e. about other dogs? and then granted concession (to keep) the dog for hunting and the dog for (the security) of the herd, and said: When the dog licks the utensil, wash it seven times, and rub it with earth the eighth time.

From Muslim #3813

Abu Zubair heard Jabir Abdullah saying: Allah's messenger ordered us to kill dogs and we carried out this order so much so that we also killed the dog roaming with a women from the desert. Then Allah's apostle forbade their killing. He said: "It is your duty to kill the jet-black (dog) having two spots (on the eyes) for it is a devil.

The note for #3814 says,

"The Hadith gives us an idea why the prophet commanded to kill dogs. There must have been an excess of stray dogs and thus the danger of rabies in the city of Medina and its suburbs. The prophet therefore ordered to kill them. Later on when it was found that his Companions were killing them indiscriminately, he forbade them to do so and told them that only the ferocious beasts which were a source of danger to life should be killed. The word "Devil" in the Hadith clarifies this point. Here devil stands for ferocious.

HOWEVER THE REASONING WITHIN THE NOTE ABOVE IS INCORRECT – READ BELOW.

From Muslim #5248

Maimuna reported that one morning Allah’s Messenger was silent with grief. Maimuna said: Allah’s Messenger, I find a change in your mood today. Allah’s Messenger said: Gabriel had promised me that he would meet me tonight, but he did not meet me. By Allah, he never broke his promises, and Allah’s Messenger spent the day in this sad mood. Then it occurred to him that there had been a puppy under their cot. He commanded and it was turned out. He then took some water in his hand and sprinkled it at that place. When it was evening Gabriel met him and he said to him: You promised me that you would meet me the previous night. He said: Yes, but we do not enter a house in which there is a dog or a picture. Then on that very morning he commanded the killing of the dogs until he announced that the dog kept for the orchards should also be killed, but he spared the dog meant for the protection of extensive fields or big gardens.

COMMENT

These Hadith tell the story of Muhammad's order to kill dogs. Muhammad said he would like to have all dogs killed. He wanted them killed, NOT because packs of dogs were tormenting the citizens of Medina, but rather, because a puppy stopped the mighty angel Gabriel. Muhammad’s solution was to kill the dogs. He first said he wanted all dogs killed but then made exceptions for dogs that are used for farming, hunting, or watching (outside). Further, he ordered that all black dogs be killed and called them "a Satan".

Muhammad and Dogs

So this is why Muhammed wanted dogs to be killed. There is more to be learned from the link above.

Today many Muslims act against dogs.

Warning: I could not watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1qJ85V0PGc

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUsglowoELY

Old 07-17-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Seems that it contradicts itself, the quran confirms the Godly authority of the Bible:

Surah al-i'Imran 3:3 He has revealed this Book to you, setting forth the truth and confirming the earlier Books, and earlier He revealed the Torah and Gospel

But the Bible says not to be cruel to animals but that the righteous regard them. Proverbs 12:10 A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

Hadith 3811 Abdullah (b. Umar) (Allaah be pleased with them) reported: Allaah's Messenger (sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam) ordered the killing of dogs and we would send (men) in Medina and its corners and we did not spare any dog that we did not kill, so much so that we killed the dog that accompanied the wet she-camel belonging to the people of the desert.

So you decide, was it a righteous or a wicked thing to kill all those animals? Mind you, these weren't sacrifices God ordained, before you throw that back at me. This is just purposeless animal slaughter.

A misuse of Hadith, which quite frequently happens by both Non-Muslims and Muslims. Ahadith are not intended for general, individual purposes, they are to be used as sources of Islamic Jurisprudence under the Madhabs and following the consensus of the ulemah (Recognized Scholars) None of the Madhabs call for the killing of dogs nor forbids the owning of dogs.

However, we are for bidden to keep any animal in captivity, not just dogs, except for those raised for food or other non-pet purposes and even then they must be provided with free range daily.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:40 AM

2,049 posts, read 1,065,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Quote:
This is just purposeless animal slaughter.
Dogs killing is from the Muhammad command

The goal
It is that the dogs were a big problem at that time
During the night
The function of the dogs are alert when they feel any strange movement
That is, it was an early warning
Because Muhammad and his group were sending invasions night
To enemies
And also for other reasons
They were a danger to those combat Islamist groups

For this reason, Mohammed gave the order to kill the dogs
So you can group of Ntiv night raids
But he was a prophet of God
It must be orders from God, the source of which Jibril

Chatter was carrying this trend
The legality of this matter to Combat

I think Muhammad was a combat school
Because modern warfare depends on hitting the means of early warning
But today radars
In the era of Muhammad were dogs is the best means of warning
It was therefore necessary, destroy them

Also in other matters
No room to mention here out of respect for the public taste

Old 07-17-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasn sawresho View Post
Dogs killing is from the Muhammad command

The goal
It is that the dogs were a big problem at that time
During the night
The function of the dogs are alert when they feel any strange movement
That is, it was an early warning
Because Muhammad and his group were sending invasions night
To enemies
And also for other reasons
They were a danger to those combat Islamist groups

For this reason, Mohammed gave the order to kill the dogs
So you can group of Ntiv night raids
But he was a prophet of God
It must be orders from God, the source of which Jibril

Chatter was carrying this trend
The legality of this matter to Combat

I think Muhammad was a combat school
Because modern warfare depends on hitting the means of early warning
But today radars
In the era of Muhammad were dogs is the best means of warning
It was therefore necessary, destroy them

Also in other matters
No room to mention here out of respect for the public taste

That is probably true.

One needs to keep in mind that during the time of Muhammad(saws) dogs on the Arabian peninsula were not pets. They were basically used for protection, warnings or as war weapons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.