Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 03:32 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Should we be worried about the rampant growth of any religion? Is the western world terrified by the spread of Christianity or Mormonism>?
I don't see this example as being particularly valid. Islam represents about 1/3 of the world's population. Mormonism represents 2/10 of 1%. But, as to the question, I'm not worried about the growth of Islam or any other religion. If my Muslim friends and neighbors are representative of their faith, I'd be happy to have more like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 05:31 PM

439 posts, read 345,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I came across this article :Islam: The world's fastest growing religion - BBC News
This isn't a hate thread on Islam or any other religion. I am all for equal rights and i like how we are distancing from an androcentrism culture, but it does worry me since it is such a radical religion...
Is it really though?
Because being in the Christian forum, some don't seem to have a fundamental knowledge of the basic foundation of Christian beliefs.
Or even the basic biblical definition of CHRIST or CHRISTian

Do you think that maybe Muslims do not have the basic foundation to their beliefs? Do you think it's possible they may not even study the Koran?

We have no Muslims where I live except these people who own the pizza place. She seems really nice and normal, her comments seem to indicate she is not radical whatsoever. She wears the muslim garb though, nothing wrong with that

I need to locate the Koran online to even participate in this discussion further.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:56 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
Is it really though?
Because being in the Christian forum, some don't seem to have a fundamental knowledge of the basic foundation of Christian beliefs.
Or even the basic biblical definition of CHRIST or CHRISTian

Do you think that maybe Muslims do not have the basic foundation to their beliefs? Do you think it's possible they may not even study the Koran?

We have no Muslims where I live except these people who own the pizza place. She seems really nice and normal, her comments seem to indicate she is not radical whatsoever. She wears the muslim garb though, nothing wrong with that

I need to locate the Koran online to even participate in this discussion further.
You should. It's always good to find common ground and find ways to live in peace and harmony between all faiths.

I personally grew up in an English missionary school where we had a Church within our school.
We were kids and there was no difference between a Muslim and Christian. We used to play and study together. We even went to the Church with my Christian friends.

Even today, we have monthly interfaith meetings between Christians, Muslims and Jewish communities where I live.

A positive mindset towards other faiths is where it starts to join hands and fight the evil.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:52 PM

3,640 posts, read 42,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You should. It's always good to find common ground and find ways to live in peace and harmony between all faiths.

I personally grew up in an English missionary school where we had a Church within our school.
We were kids and there was no difference between a Muslim and Christian. We used to play and study together. We even went to the Church with my Christian friends.

Even today, we have monthly interfaith meetings between Christians, Muslims and Jewish communities where I live.

A positive mindset towards other faiths is where it starts to join hands and fight the evil.
First of all, it is important to understand one's own religion. Then it is also important to understand others' religion if we are to live and interact with each other peacefully.

I wasn't born in the West but have lived here for over half a century. I have studied the Qur'an as well as read the Torah and the Gospels. This has helped me to find the common ground between Muslims, Christians and the Jewish faith.

People should not try to find the differences before finding the common ground.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:23 PM

226 posts, read 161,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
I don't believe there is anything to be worried about. Different religions, some of them radical, have always existed. Also, there have always been extreme radicals in every religion, and those seem to be the ones others believe represent the entire faith.

Rather than worry, I would suggest we all go about our business, trust in God, be tolerant of others, appreciate this beautiful world we live in, with all its differences, and spread peace.
Extreme radicals in every religion? Really? No exceptions? The content of the religion doesn't make a difference? Extreme radicals just pop into being because of other factors that have nothing to do with the religion?

Also, who really believes that radicals "represent the entire faith"? To me, that looks suspiciously like you are misrepresenting what people are likely to say. You might see someone say, "the radicals represent the *authentic* faith". (Which may or may not be correct.) But I haven't noticed people saying that radicals represent the *entire faith* (as if every single follower was identical and extreme). Or if a few people would make that comment, it's obviously not coming from anyone who bothered to think about it for more than a second.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resigned View Post
Read about Islamic Culture, History and Muslims' politics when Muslims were superior. see what they have done at that time? the outcome you gonna get depends on the authenticity and credibility of resources you use.

I guess this path is the one you should hit alone and relieved from Media and hatred provokers.
Historically non-Muslims were brutally oppressed as second class citizens under Muslim rule so...

Old 12-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalif View Post
Mahatma Gandhi, statement published in “Young India”, 1924:

“I wanted to know the best of the life of one who holds today an undisputed sway over the hearts of millions of mankind… I became more than ever convinced that it was not the sword that won a place for Islam in those days in the scheme of life. It was the rigid simplicity, the utter self-effacement of the Prophet the scrupulous regard for pledges, his intense devotion to his friends and followers, his intrepidity, his fearlessness, his absolute trust in God and in his own mission. These and not the sword carried everything before them and surmounted every obstacle. When I closed the second volume (of the Prophet’s biography), I was sorry there was not more for me to read of that great life.”

Quotes : Mahatma Gandhi on Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) - navedz.com
What volumes was he working from? A relatively modern work at that time? Or did Ghandi have access to early Islamic sources about the life of Muhammad? (Was he reading a modern apologist work which distorted things for him.)

Old 12-17-2017, 01:57 AM

3,640 posts, read 42,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProcess View Post
What volumes was he working from? A relatively modern work at that time? Or did Ghandi have access to early Islamic sources about the life of Muhammad? (Was he reading a modern apologist work which distorted things for him.)
Not sure which volume of Muhammad's life Ghandi was reading from but his quote was published in Young India (periodical), 1928 Volume X.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:16 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,622,182 times
You know most Christian sects don't allow homosexuality, right? The few churches that allow it is trying to get more members, I would think. Have you read the Bible? The Bible can be just as violent as the Quran.

I converted and honestly, the rules of Islam aren't different than the rules my Italian Catholic grandparents taught me. My great aunt married an Italian Catholic man in the 1940s and she was not allowed to do anything. She was not allowed to work, she was only allowed to dress modestly, couldn't talk to men, had to rear the children. It's not the religion, it's culture. Culture tends to tie into religion. When I first converted, my grandma wanted to read a bit about it. She didn't think Islam was radically different from her beliefs. Yes, some were, but mostly not.

People are people. Some people are good and kind, others not so much.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
You know most Christian sects don't allow homosexuality, right? The few churches that allow it is trying to get more members, I would think. Have you read the Bible? The Bible can be just as violent as the Quran.
You would be mistaken, jess. The Christian churches that "allow" it, as you put it, do so because we don't believe one's sexuality is reflective of anything different from the color of your eyes or your ability to lift heavy things. It's what you were born with. We don't believe that God is particularly concerned with people's physical attributes, including their sexual orientation, but rather with what type of people they are or strive to be.

It's not a matter of "allowing". It's a matter of acceptance and inclusion because we believe that's what Jesus taught us to do. And it certainly has nothing to do with "trying to get more members". That's rather insulting, and frankly, I'm surprised to hear such a disparaging assessment of other people coming from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I converted and honestly, the rules of Islam aren't different than the rules my Italian Catholic grandparents taught me. My great aunt married an Italian Catholic man in the 1940s and she was not allowed to do anything. She was not allowed to work, she was only allowed to dress modestly, couldn't talk to men, had to rear the children. It's not the religion, it's culture. Culture tends to tie into religion. When I first converted, my grandma wanted to read a bit about it. She didn't think Islam was radically different from her beliefs. Yes, some were, but mostly not.

People are people. Some people are good and kind, others not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam