Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:51 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times

Advertisements

[quote=InsaneInDaMembrane;11395873]Thank you for that opinion and I actually agree with you!

Glad my post helped. I just wish other horrific histories weren't forgotten as folks run to condemn all Muslims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:01 AM

217 posts, read 693,013 times
i dont support the slandering of any prophet of allah, includng jesus..but the majority of the slandering of jesus comes from your fellow christians, and not from other groups...the majority of the people who make jokes and satire about jesus on tv are your own people...

Old 10-29-2009, 12:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Moderator cut: Orphaned post

Nothing of a religious or other intensely personal subject "deserves" to be ridiculed. People turn to ridicule when they can't get people to belive their point of view through their own merits or that of the material.

People CAN believe what they want, whether you want them to or not. I'll think for myself, thank you. The insulting bigot thing doesn't work for me.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 01:05 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,071,386 times
They are afraid to answer, the spanish inquisition might show up and kill whole villages.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:35 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,005,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
They are afraid to answer, the spanish inquisition might show up and kill whole villages.
It's a valid question, no? Where is the outrage from the Muslim community when their [one of the greatest] prophet(s) [Jesus] is made the butt of every joke imaginable? Why is the outrage ONLY reserved for Muhammad who I understand is not worshiped by Muslims?

Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM

>>>Where was I being disrespectful to these 'peaceful Muslims' who 'abhor those who act like that?' I CLEARLY mentioned 'A SEGMENT' of the Muslim community who threaten to kill anyone who raises one peep of objection or open criticism to their prophet or religion.<<<

>>>Then I pointed out that even the moderate Muslims, in private, will tell you that it is blasphemy to say a bad word about Muhammad.<<<

>>>"Moderator cut: deleted Moderate Muslims, while probably not going to such crazed lengths, will admit that no one, even OUTSIDE, their numbers should say a bad word about Muhammad, the Koran or Allah, considering such things blasphemous. <<<

Thus according to you no Muslim should tell someone who says bad things about their Prophet, God or religion has a right to tell you they are being blasphemous? Disrespectful?

I think there are plenty of Christians who would react in the same way if they feel their religion is being attacked. I imagine there might be a few who would act violently and others who would tell you that what is being said is blasphemous . Christianity also uses the work blasphemy, so its not just Islam.

blas‧phe‧my plural blasphemies [uncountable and countable]
RRC something you say or do that is insulting to God or people's religious beliefs taken from blasphemy - Definition from the CHRISTIANITY topic - RELIGION AND THOUGHT

" Blasphemy in Islam constitutes speaking ill of Muhammad or of any other prophet mentioned in the Qur'an, or to claim that there is more than one god or that Jesus Christ (the son of Mary) is the son of God (5.017), or to speak ill of God, or to depict any of them in image." From the Wikipedia

But basically your tone is what is the issue, you are not just asking the question innocently. You are asking it in a way then when you get a response you behave as if you are being somehow misuderstood.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:12 PM

My question STILL stands. Why aren't they as berserk when it comes to insulting Jesus, another one of their great prophets? VALID question![/quote]

I would suppose that they have their plate full being defensive about their religion and their Prophet. And the reality that they feel under fire by those who are clearly attacking their Prophet. I see more negative depictions of Muhammad then Jesus. There are plenty of Christians who can come out and defend Jesus....... I just get the feeling that you just want to argue....

Old 10-29-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
>>>Where was I being disrespectful to these 'peaceful Muslims' who 'abhor those who act like that?' I CLEARLY mentioned 'A SEGMENT' of the Muslim community who threaten to kill anyone who raises one peep of objection or open criticism to their prophet or religion.<<<

>>>Then I pointed out that even the moderate Muslims, in private, will tell you that it is blasphemy to say a bad word about Muhammad.<<<

>>>"Moderator cut: deleted Moderate Muslims, while probably not going to such crazed lengths, will admit that no one, even OUTSIDE, their numbers should say a bad word about Muhammad, the Koran or Allah, considering such things blasphemous. <<<

Thus according to you no Muslim should tell someone who says bad things about their Prophet, God or religion has a right to tell you they are being blasphemous? Disrespectful?

I think there are plenty of Christians who would react in the same way if they feel their religion is being attacked. I imagine there might be a few who would act violently and others who would tell you that what is being said is blasphemous . Christianity also uses the work blasphemy, so its not just Islam.

blas‧phe‧my plural blasphemies [uncountable and countable]
RRC something you say or do that is insulting to God or people's religious beliefs taken from blasphemy - Definition from the CHRISTIANITY topic - RELIGION AND THOUGHT

" Blasphemy in Islam constitutes speaking ill of Muhammad or of any other prophet mentioned in the Qur'an, or to claim that there is more than one god or that Jesus Christ (the son of Mary) is the son of God (5.017), or to speak ill of God, or to depict any of them in image." From the Wikipedia

But basically your tone is what is the issue, you are not just asking the question innocently. You are asking it in a way then when you get a response you behave as if you are being somehow misuderstood.
Blasphemy is in the eyes/ears of the beholder/listener, Jazzy. No Muslim or Christian consulted me to ask me to get my opinion on whether I agree with this or that being blasphemous but yet I am forced to agree with them on what I had no part of??? If I believe Muhammad was schizophrenic (hearing voices) and I say so based on the evidence (he claimed he heard voices), I have no right to say that OR am I being disrespectful by stating a valid observation? This is an example of what I am talking about. Not a wise idea, I'm sure, to say that in Saudi Arabia, but what if I said it in a book being critical of Muhammad?

Their reality (believing Muhammad is ABOVE criticism) is not mine nor does it have to be mine and vice versa. I don't have to ask the question innocently. It is a valid question regardless and as with Christians, if folks KNOW they have a SOLID rebuttal, grounded in truth, honesty and/or true common sense there would have been no shortage of setting me straight but I think the hypocrisy of the matter is too obvious and is best ignored.

I realize people get all bent out of shape about disrespect to their religion because it is as personal to them as their skin color. I prefer to think a belief is NOT off limits to criticism or even ridicule if warranted. What I prefer NOT to do is disrespect the individual, call them names, curse them or think myself better than they are. I realize this is a very fine line because somehow, the belief is part of the person and it is taken personal.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I see more negative depictions of Muhammad then Jesus.
Where do you live??? Did you see what happened when the Danes published not so glorious pics of Muhammad? Did you see what happened to Geert Wilder when he criticized Islam? You remembered what happened to Salman Rushdie when he published those passages from the Koran that were left out (Satanic Verses)? Those are a few notorious examples but they are by far fewer that the ridicule Jesus and Christianity gets just by taking a casual browse on the net.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir_Abdul View Post
i dont support the slandering of any prophet of allah, includng jesus..but the majority of the slandering of jesus comes from your fellow christians, and not from other groups...the majority of the people who make jokes and satire about jesus on tv are your own people...
Yes you are correct and do you see thousands of Christians marching in the street? Do you see them calling for the death of those who they perceive to have to have slandered?

That's the difference. The United States allows for freedom of speech, freedom of religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam