Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,002,075 times

Advertisements

We are not aware that there is a segment of the Muslim community who goes Moderator cut: deleted if anyone says a bad thing about Muhammad, the Koran or Allah. They WILL threaten and/or kill you if they can. Moderate Muslims, while probably not going to such crazed lengths, will admit that no one, even OUTSIDE, their numbers should say a bad word about Muhammad, the Koran or Allah, considering such things blasphemous. Now, I don't expect them to freak out about the Bible or the biblical god being ridiculed, but why is it they don't get all crazy about the beating the Jesus guy takes DAILY on the net, in print, on TV, in art, etc? Isn't Jesus supposed to ALSO be one of their great prophets? Not trying to give them any bright ideas, but where are the fatwahs?

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2009 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
We are not aware that there is a segment of the Muslim community who goes Moderator cut: Orphaned if anyone says a bad thing about Muhammad, the Koran or Allah. They WILL threaten and/or kill you if they can. Moderate Muslims, while probably not going to such crazed lengths, will admit that no one, even OUTSIDE, their numbers should say a bad word about Muhammad, the Koran or Allah, considering such things blasphemous. Now, I don't expect them to freak out about the Bible or the biblical god being ridiculed, but why is it they don't get all crazy about the beating the Jesus guy takes DAILY on the net, in print, on TV, in art, etc? Isn't Jesus supposed to ALSO be one of their great prophets? Not trying to give them any bright ideas, but where are the fatwahs?
Thank god (or Allah) we don't live in a totalitarian theocratic regime.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2009 at 05:52 AM..

Old 10-29-2009, 06:13 AM

No other replies from the Muslim members here?

Old 10-29-2009, 07:31 AM

Moderator cut: Orphaned

Where was the insult? Am I wrong when I say that there are SOME ("a segment") in the Muslim community who lose their minds and seek to kill people who blaspheme (their determination) their prophet, book or god? We have NO evidence of it I take it?

(this was the response in the Netherlands to someone these guys claimed insulted their prophet Muhammad)

My question STILL stands. Why aren't they as berserk when it comes to insulting Jesus, another one of their great prophets? VALID question!

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2009 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 07:58 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Whew, rock stars

Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
No other replies from the Muslim members here?

Probably because you are pretty disrespectful...... There are many peaceful Muslims who abhor those who act like that. Who live in peace with there neighbors. But like other religions they have folks who are fundamentalist and see the world in black and white. I have attended 2 synagogues in my area that not only have outreach to the Muslim community but share space with the Muslims so they will have a prayer space.

These Muslims are just ordinary Americans who just want to worship, raise their children, be successful and live in peace.

Islam is not the only religion with people who act in absolutely violent ways. It is just the most recent. There have been others in history. But in the race to condemn Muslims folks seem to forget that.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post

Probably because you are pretty disrespectful...... There are many peaceful Muslims who abhor those who act like that. Who live in peace with there neighbors. But like other religions they have folks who are fundamentalist and see the world in black and white. I have attended 2 synagogues in my area that not only have outreach to the Muslim community but share space with the Muslims so they will have a prayer space.

These Muslims are just ordinary Americans who just want to worship, raise their children, be successful and live in peace.

Islam is not the only religion with people who act in absolutely violent ways. It is just the most recent. There have been others in history. But in the race to condemn Muslims folks seem to forget that.
Why does EVERYTHING disparaging against religion have to fall under 'disrespectful?' Where was I being disrespectful to these 'peaceful Muslims' who 'abhor those who act like that?' I CLEARLY mentioned 'A SEGMENT' of the Muslim community who threaten to kill anyone who raises one peep of objection or open criticism to their prophet or religion. Then I pointed out that even the moderate Muslims, in private, will tell you that it is blasphemy to say a bad word about Muhammad. NO, they might not call for your head or hunt you down, but they feel it is wrong to say something bad about their prophet. My question then is, why isn't there there the same rabid anger from radical Muslims about the constant insulting and ridiculing Jesus gets DAILY on the internet, in print, on TV, in art and elsewhere? Valid question, is it not?

My post was not to discuss the bad apples compared to the good ones in religion. I am aware that is the set up and I am not even defending Jesus on a Christian level. I'm simply asking why is there outrage when it is Muhammad being hammered, but none when it comes to Jesus?

Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 AM

Moderator cut: Orphaned

This is what I don't get. The hypocrisy of the matter, but I figured I would ask as the question just popped into my head recently after watching the video associated with the pic I posted up top. I've been following the developments in western Europe with the recent issues with officials and those in the Muslim community. While I a quite sure most Muslims go about their business in peace, their radical fringe don't take too kindly to anyone having anything bad to say about their religion or prophet. I just want to know why the same anger they show when Muhammad is questioned/ridiculed not shown for Jesus another one of their great prophets?

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,041,654 times
Quote:
Where was the insult? Am I wrong when I say that there are
Quote:
SOME ("a segment") in the Muslim community who lose their minds and seek to kill people who blaspheme (their determination) their prophet, book or god? We have NO evidence of it I take it?

(this was the response in the Netherlands to someone these guys claimed insulted their prophet Muhammad)

My question STILL stands. Why aren't they as berserk when it comes to insulting Jesus, another one of their great prophets? VALID question!

Moderator cut: Discussing moderator actions. Asking a question is one thing but being insulting is the issue.

I'll give you my opinion:

I think you ought to take a look at the history of Christianity towards the Muslims. Most Muslim nations are dictatorships that are horrific and the leaders in order to keep any of the population (which is not an educated population) from seeing that point the finger at the West. That has set up an us verses them mentality. Now add in that the West has military in several Muslim countries and there have been many many innocents killed.

All of this comes from a sense of powerlessness, feeling like they are under attack,their religion and their Prophet. Islam is about 1400 years old and Christianity was not a loving religion when it was 1400 years old give or take a couple hundred years. Id say it was a pretty violent religion and both Judaism and Islam can attest to that I am sure.

After 9/11, I went to the local mosque because it had been attacked. Women in that community couldn't walk or be safe. Innocent people were attacked. People were rounded up, homes invaded. There are people who were taken to foreign countries to be interrogated by others so our country would not have to carry out the kind of torture other countries don't have a problem with. There are many people in Gitmo who aren't terrorists, yet they have been there for years without even a lawyer.

I think there are many reasons the Muslim world is seething with anger at the West

Last edited by june 7th; 10-29-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 09:21 AM

204 posts, read 683,580 times
Quote:
Thank you for that opinion and I actually agree with you!

What the mod deleted was not something disrespectful toward anyone's religion. She/he deleted a slang word for "going crazy" even though I did not spell out the word. Hope that clears it up as nothing was said in outright disrespect to Muslims.
As usual, people are so quick to judge without getting all the facts.

cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Islam