Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabirdlover View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! My husband has been dealing with these migraines all his life. I feel bad for the poor guy! A good doctor is much appreciated. :-)
So have I, my entire life. And these arent "headaches" like normal people think of them. Its a big misconception & many do not understand whats involved with migraines (family, employers, etc). Its a debilitating complete body sickness (extreme pain, throwing up constantly, dizziness, etc). It sucks. But I did recently get a treatment that actually works.

I've been going to Neurologists my whole life, so IMO all they really end up doing in the end is trying out different drugs on you (and charging you a boat load of cash per consultation). Yeah, they'll ask a lot of questions, get you some MRI's, other tests, etc. And I do recommend that stuff to weed out anything you might not know about. But in the end, its usually about tying out different treatments & seeing what works.

Can I ask what he's already tried? I'll tell you what worked for me is a simple "cocktail" drug of butalbital, aspirin, caffein (that's generic Fiorinal). Its cheap & effective. I get something like 100 of them for $20 w my insurance. I take a couple if Im even feeling the slightest chance that one is coming on & it almost always knocks it out before it even starts.

Also another I tried is Maxalt MLT. They're new & a "designer drug" thats VERY expensive, but they seem to help people as well (although was hit or miss with me). What happens is, they are dissolvable tabs that you put in your mouth once you feel like a migraine is coming on & it shrinks the blood vessels in your head to kill the migraine before it starts. But if one is already upon you, its too late. And you could end up eating your entire supply rather quickly if you have frequent ones. And like I said, they're very expensive to be doing that & you only get so many.

And I'll tell you another (although I'm sure some people will have a problem with it) is marijuana. If you can get the right strain it can work wonders for this type of pain. I know plenty of people that this has helped (me included). It relaxes the muscles in your head & neck area (where most of the pain starts). Also gives you your appetite back as well if you have nausea. It can mean the difference between being functional & being bed-rideen for the day. But I personally got tired of dealing with shady people to have to get some (and paying ridiculous markup). Thats what government prohibition of a plant gets you I guess.

Anyways, if you need anymore info, let me know. Hope your hubby gets better.

Last edited by KerryB; 08-12-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 PM

86 posts, read 174,581 times
A really great doc. (My daughters and sister in-laws former doctor)
Dr. Thomas Murry His office has moved from where it was on University Blvd and Beach, but where to is not coming to mind, But I know he does rounds at Brooks rehab and he has his private practice.
Great man, and great staff.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
According to the medical records of Florida - Dr. Thomas R. Murray is not a board certified neurologist. He is not board certified in anything. If one wants to find the credentials of any doctor in Florida - they can be found here:

Healthcare Practitioner License Search

Old 08-12-2010, 11:11 PM

86 posts, read 174,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
According to the medical records of Florida - Dr. Thomas R. Murray is not a board certified neurologist. He is not board certified in anything. If one wants to find the credentials of any doctor in Florida - they can be found here:

Healthcare Practitioner License Search

Nope does not list him as a Neurologist.
But did you bother to look at everything else it DOES say about him.

One way or another. I was just trying to be helpful. And gave her a name for her husband. He was great to my little girl and great to my sister in law (Who both had/have major brain injures)

Once again, I wish you luck in your search, and hope your husband gets the help he needs.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:25 AM

72 posts, read 464,638 times
My husband recently saw Dr. Boylan at Mayo Clinic. We had an excellent experience with him & he is very, very thorough.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:48 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not only rude,but ugly to View Post
Nope does not list him as a Neurologist.
But did you bother to look at everything else it DOES say about him.

One way or another. I was just trying to be helpful. And gave her a name for her husband. He was great to my little girl and great to my sister in law (Who both had/have major brain injures)

Once again, I wish you luck in your search, and hope your husband gets the help he needs.
Yes - I did see the other stuff. And when I had time to look him up today - well he isn't a neurologist at all. Nor does he hold himself out as being a neurologist. He works as a physiatrist (rehab doc). Right kind of doc for your daughter and SIL. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville