Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 01:47 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,197,167 times

Advertisements

Hello. I was having lunch yesterday with a friend who lived in Jacksonville and Jacksonville Beach in the mid 1980's. He told me the entire area was pretty vile and tawdry (with the exception of Ponte Vedra Beach).

Anyway, I told him that the Mayo Clinic now had a location in JAX and that I understood lots of technology type companies such as AT&T now have large facilities in the area.
My Mom (elderly) keeps talking about possible relocation to JAX and the wonderful things she has read and I am a touch concerned and need info. from locals.

My question. Is most of Jacksonville now more upscale and the "tawdry/vileness" he mentioned either gone or banished to a "bad section" of the city?

Is JAX on par with, let's say, Milwaukee (which has a pretty nice, vibrant/upscale downtown these days with highrises and great suburbs)?

Last edited by soulful; 09-11-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 03:45 PM

278 posts, read 664,802 times
Parts of Jax have improved since the 1980s. Parts of Jax have deteriorated since the 1980s.

Jax Beach is certainly much cleaner, safer and more vibrant than it was in the '80s. Downtown has a few businesses but not much real activity and it certainly isn't vibrant or upscale. I wouldn't consider it dangerous though crime exists... think of it less as a "downtown" and more as a "giant office park." There are a couple highrises and one totally unfinished highrise. The surrounding areas like Springfield and Riverside have improved since the 1980s - Springfield is still undergoing some gentrification. Keep to the "historic" area and you're fine. The rest of it is still a ghetto though I don't know that it's as bad as it was in the 1980s.

Sprawl and "prepackaged" housing developments have absolutely exploded since the 1980s. I don't know whether you'd consider that a good thing or a bad thing. Typical Jax mindset is to move on from anything that isn't "nice" anymore and expand out, build new stuff, and continue the cycle. So inner city areas like Arlington fall apart while new housing and retail developments are built off Kernan, Hodges, etc...

Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 PM

Is the area around the Whole Foods a trendy, happening sort of area?

I asked because I know typically Whole Foods puts their locations in that sort of area.

And what about the area around Mayo Clinic?

thanks

Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,277,446 times
No. Mandarin, where Whole Foods is located, is a sleepy bedroom suburb.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,566,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
Hello. I was having lunch yesterday with a friend who lived in Jacksonville and Jacksonville Beach in the mid 1980's. He told me the entire area was pretty vile and tawdry (with the exception of Ponte Vedra Beach).

Anyway, I told him that the Mayo Clinic now had a location in JAX and that I understood lots of technology type companies such as AT&T now have large facilities in the area.
My Mom (elderly) keeps talking about possible relocation to JAX and the wonderful things she has read and I am a touch concerned and need info. from locals.

My question. Is most of Jacksonville now more upscale and the "tawdry/vileness" he mentioned either gone or banished to a "bad section" of the city?

Is JAX on par with, let's say, Milwaukee (which has a pretty nice, vibrant/upscale downtown these days with highrises and great suburbs)?
The 80s were 20 years ago. I would say a lot has changed. I think Austin was the mayor in 89...and since him Jax has had 3 different guys afterwards.

Old 09-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
The 80s were 20 years ago. I would say a lot has changed. I think Austin was the mayor in 89...and since him Jax has had 3 different guys afterwards.
Yes. I am not surprised the politicians have changed

Old 09-11-2011, 06:01 PM

443 posts, read 895,955 times
Quote:
The 80s were 20 years ago.
Uh...the 80s were 31 years ago. Time flies when you're having fun, huh?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
Uh...the 80s were 31 years ago. Time flies when you're having fun, huh?
Evidently time passes by slower on the International Space Station.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,718 times
JAX got the Internet since then too

Old 09-11-2011, 09:18 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
JAX got the Internet since then too
We did? I hadn't noticed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville