Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:07 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

OMG lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 08:25 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
OMG lady.
LOL! I love the immigrant status we've obtained. I barely got out during the potato famine myself, those were some rough days...

Old 11-12-2015, 10:00 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
LOL! I love the immigrant status we've obtained. I barely got out during the potato famine myself, those were some rough days...
Donald Trump is going to round us all up here shortly anyway.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:08 PM

8 posts, read 13,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Thank you. Your comment meant a lot to me. Especially because you came out of "lurker status" to make it. I think that some people who post here don't realize what the lurker/poster ratio is here. On other chat boards too. It is usually estimated at 20/1 or even more.

And I am sorry that 2 posters here - who are both recent "immigrants" to this area - attempted to vilify or impugn you for making your first post here. Even for something as silly as whatever name you chose to post here. I don't think they're indicative of the people who live in this area as a whole. Who - for the most part - are pretty friendly people IMO. I know that if anyone came out of lurker status - even just to diss me - I would find a better/more friendly way to respond to whatever that long term lurker posted. Robyn
Meh, they don't bother me. I joined this forum back in April; never felt the need to post but learned a lot about real estate in FL. Being from the north, I never heard of CDD's. My husband and I are retiring here; one of my sons lives here with his family. Two of my children are JU grads; it's one thing to be a parent who visits here vs buying property and making this area home.

It's nice to read here and get people's opinions on builders, neighborhoods etc and it's very beneficial to get facts.

Oh, and I know how to spell 'yankee'. My name is derived from the breeder of the dog we got in 1998.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:39 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,340,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And I am sorry that 2 posters here - who are both recent "immigrants" to this area
You've only been here what, 20 years, to some of us that makes you a " recent immigrant" also. But we are to polite to point that out, as there is no excuse/reason for name calling.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:37 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
You've only been here what, 20 years, to some of us that makes you a " recent immigrant" also. But we are to polite to point that out, as there is no excuse/reason for name calling.
FWIW - I realize that a lot of JAX/Duval County has a lot more "natives" than most parts of Florida. And - yes - I have "only" been in this part of Florida for 20+ years. But I have lived and worked in the state for 40+ years (as an adult). My work involved travel throughout the state (traveled around the state a lot on pleasure trips too) - and I think I have learned a fair amount about Florida and various parts of the state over the course of 40+ years. My first trip to JAX was in 1971 - which is before many people here were born. So I have seen a lot of changes in this area. Especially in a place like PVB - which - not that long ago - was pretty much a place where people "from town" either spent some time at the beach in the summer or hunted. I also think I have a fair amount of perspective about the nature of development in Florida. I remember when Dadeland Mall in Miami was at the "end of civilization" - and Boca Raton was almost empty. There are those of us who would like to see this metro area avoid the fate of other parts of Florida that were developed in a haphazard way - without much regard to how they would wind up.

And I guess what puzzles me most is why people talk about me - and not more about JAX and the metro area. Is it perhaps because most people are just wrapped up in their day-to-day lives - and don't get out more? When we first moved here - many people who live here (in PVB) would proudly announce that they never "crossed the ditch". Which I always thought was a ridiculous POV. They all sounded like they were ready for nursing homes (even if they were 35). I think there are those of us here - myself included - who have a healthy curiosity about where we live - and our area of interest extends beyond our little neighborhoods. We explore the area when we get a chance. We read about it too. Why are there only about 10 people active in the current "Everbank" thread - and not 50+? I think downtown development affects the quality of life for all of us in the metro area. And - when I asked a rhetorical question about whether some posters in this thread had ever been in OP - the response I got was deafening silence. I suspect the majority of posters in this forum who don't live in OP have never been to OP. Anyway - let's get back to talking about Florida - not me. Robyn

Old 11-22-2015, 06:02 PM

105 posts, read 107,760 times
Clay county I have been told is very corrupt by inept hick politicians who do what they are told by the money guys.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:24 PM

581 posts, read 921,340 times
^^^^ Useless hot air from Florida Heat

Old 11-23-2015, 07:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,574,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Heat View Post
Clay county I have been told is very corrupt by inept hick politicians who do what they are told by the money guys.
Take out the word "hick" and that could describe any county/city/state. And really does it matter if the politician has a Southern accent or not?

Old 11-23-2015, 09:27 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Take out the word "hick" and that could describe any county/city/state. And really does it matter if the politician has a Southern accent or not?
I would hardly call someone like John Thrasher (who got his start in Clay County and who I had contact with from time to time when he was general counsel for the Florida Medical Association) a hick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_E._Thrasher

That's one thing I learned pretty fast when I moved to Florida. Don't confuse a slow talker with a slow thinker .

Also - although I can't speak for every county in Florida - when it comes to the 2 counties I've lived in - Miami/Dade and St. Johns - they've had their fair share of corruption cases. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville