Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 04:34 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Yep.

Stay home and get drunk, visit Wal-mart, or have a great dinner at a -1 star restaurant.

All the things that make Jax the 'unique' top notch destination, or place to live, that it is.
Yup - I shop at Walmart all the time . Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,353 times
We had a great time at Harmonious Monks a couple of weeks ago! They had a fantastic Dixieland style band that night.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM

589 posts, read 850,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Yup - I shop at Walmart all the time . Robyn

On very rare occasion, I also shop at Wal-Mart, (Target is light years better) but never as entertainment or 'something to do.' Only out of necessity.

Although, I guess a case could be made that some of the Wal-mart shoppers can be pretty entertaining, in their own right.

Funny Pictures at WalMart Hey There Sweet Cheeks!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 AM

5 posts, read 7,045 times
Hi there;

I am a 5'4", 125lbs, 46 year old woman who loves to exercise, play tennis and ping pong, swim, windsurf, scuba dive, ride a bike, snow/water ski...and about to move to Jacksonville as I have a job offer....your posts are so discouraging...Go to Home Depot or Lowe's? I think not! I want to dance, have fun and live my life...What I won't do is that I won't get S#!T faced drinking in bars...You guys described Jacksonville as a place to wither and die...maybe I should not leave New York City for it has been the greatest place for me to live.. (

Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altinokz View Post
Hi there;

I am a 5'4", 125lbs, 46 year old woman who loves to exercise, play tennis and ping pong, swim, windsurf, scuba dive, ride a bike, snow/water ski...and about to move to Jacksonville as I have a job offer....your posts are so discouraging...Go to Home Depot or Lowe's? I think not! I want to dance, have fun and live my life...What I won't do is that I won't get S#!T faced drinking in bars...You guys described Jacksonville as a place to wither and die...maybe I should not leave New York City for it has been the greatest place for me to live.. (
The first thing you need to know is there is water skiing in Jacksonville but NO snow skiing. I am sorry.

The second thing is that you are NOT hearing from the majority of people who do all the things you like to do but maybe with fewer venues than in NYC.

The third thing you need to keep in mind is that the people who are constantly dumping on Jacksonville for the most part live very low lives and would like everyone to join them in their misery. You can always tell who they are because on balance they have not one positive thing to contribute. Ignore them.

The fourth thing is if you look in the NYC Citi-data forum you will also find very unhappy people who hate life in NYC. I used to be one of them.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:15 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Hi there;

Well, I wouldn't compare Jax to NYC as it's NOTHING like that but there is plenty to do. My wife and I are both just over 40 and we find plenty to do around here which we enjoy. We have things we can do with our boys (10 and 6) as well as by ourselves when we want to go out and be adults.

We're from just outside of NYC and it's certainly not the same but it's a lot of fun. We enjoy going to the beach, plenty of parks around here and there are quite a few places people, "our age," can go for a fun time out without having to get so drunk you can't walk.

You're also not far from Orlando (about 2 hours) for nice weekend getaways with PLENTY to do. Savannah isn't far and there are other places not far from here worth making a weekend trip for.

It's a much more laid back lifestyle here than NYC. But we enjoy it.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Hi there;

I'm 65 and moved here 16 years ago. There is plenty of stuff to do in terms of physical/outdoors activities. Looking at your list - we have Y's with excellent exercise facilities - also a JCC (have never tried a gym) - and great tennis - swimming facilities - and places to ride bikes. I don't know anything about ping pong or windsurfing (we do have the ocean - so you're probably ok on that score - we get more wind than waves). Also don't know much about water skiing (although I've seen people water skiing in the ICW).

We obviously don't have any snow skiing - but there are some very active ski groups in Florida that arrange group ski trips. There's a Jacksonville Ski Club. I can't get the links to copy and paste correctly - but I know it's there .

In terms of scuba diving - we have it here - but I wouldn't recommend it. Diving is better in parts of SE Florida - but it's *much* better in parts of the Caribbean - like the Cayman Islands. It's not unusual for dive shops to organize dive trips - although you can do them on your own.

I think you'll find slimmer pickings in terms of the nightlife scene you seem to want - but I'm not the best person to discuss that. My husband's and my dancing nights out ended about when disco did .

And - of course - if you're a straight 46 year old woman looking for a relationship with a guy about your age - you won't find it any easier here than elsewhere. Curiously - you'd probably have an easier time of it if you're gay - even in Jacksonville. OTOH - if you're willing to go out with older guys - you might do ok. But - if that's part of your game plan - I suggest taking up golf in addition to continuing with your tennis (note that this is a great golf area). The only women I know here about your age who wound up in steady relationships/marriages with guys met them playing golf. Robyn

Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,883,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
In terms of scuba diving - we have it here - but I wouldn't recommend it. Diving is better in parts of SE Florida - but it's *much* better in parts of the Caribbean - like the Cayman Islands.
Subjective. I used to dive almost every weekend off the coast of NJ and enjoyed that just as much as my diving in the Caribbean and the Coral Sea/Great Barrier Reef. It all depends on what kind of diving you like.

It's certainly easier to dive the farther South you go--better visibility and less turbulent water (usually). But it's not necessarily better. Just depends on what you're after.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:52 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post
Subjective. I used to dive almost every weekend off the coast of NJ and enjoyed that just as much as my diving in the Caribbean and the Coral Sea/Great Barrier Reef. It all depends on what kind of diving you like.

It's certainly easier to dive the farther South you go--better visibility and less turbulent water (usually). But it's not necessarily better. Just depends on what you're after.
I gotta side with Robyn on this one. Just returned from diving at Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman and I have also done the Bahamas and I gotta tell ya there are no waters in Florida or anywhere else in the US that compare with the clarity of those Caribbean waters. But I also understand that the translucence of sea water is not the only factor that matters to the deep water diver ... although it does help.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetRick View Post

I liked diving in really really warm water with good visibility and interesting things to see. No drift diving (I was never good enough/strong enough to drift dive - couldn't handle emergencies that might arise). For example - I once went snorkeling in the Red Sea off the beach in Eilat (my husband and I were supposed to go diving - but he got sick - so I just did the snorkeling off the beach). Great visibility - terrific stuff to see. But that water was SO COLD - even with a wet suit.

Note that this is something we used to do when when we younger. We hung up our fins a couple of decades ago. Apart from some physical problems my husband had that limited our diving - I get pretty bad reactions to things like bug bites and similar. And I was always somewhat clumsy in the water (even worse in boats handling tanks). On my first open water checkout dive in the Keys - I landed both knees first in a heap of fire coral. Can you say OUCH underwater ? Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville