Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
you guys who like craigslist: do you just search a specific phrase for whatever your specific profession/niche is, or do you search all listings? (I ask because I have a business degree and all of my work experience is in a warehouse, and eventually supervising the warehouse
Personally, I didn't search by keyword or phrase. I just kept clicking on the categories of different jobs that I was looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM

29,825 posts, read 24,913,395 times
I have found two jobs using Craigslist, one working with mentally retarded people in their homes, and the other working at a fabrication shop. Both paid respectably, but did not require college. I think for those with college degrees, your better off looking at career builder. CL seems good for things to fill in gaps, not so much for career jobs.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:46 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
I think Craigslist works for very specific jobs like this one (http://baltimore.craigslist.org/trd/2441042031.html - broken link).

Quote:
NEED NICET PERSON (BALTIMORE)

Date: 2011-06-14, 8:40PM EDT
Reply to: job-rhwdr-2441042031@craigslist.org

LOOKING FOR NICET CERTIFIED PERSON IN WATER BASED INSPECTION AND TESTING. GROWING COMPANY LOOKING FOR QUAILIFIED PERSON TO JOIN OUR TEAM. MUST HAVE A NICET III. PLEASE CALL MIKE AT STRONG POINT TECH. INC.

443-799-3473
Misspellings and all this ad is legit. The company is identified and there is a phone number.

But this job is very specific, looking at the registry there are a total of 29 people in Maryland that has the basic qualification. I suspect pay is probably in the range of $25 to $35/hr but I am sure they all certified people are working so I wish them luck.

Some jobs are legitimate but stink like this one (http://houston.craigslist.org/trd/2428870392.html - broken link). $18/hr and you provide the truck? That's insulting, forget you, buddy.

Some postings, like this one that somehow ended up on Craigslist, I dunno about but smells fishy to me. I think it is a recruiter because they either have a very large project needing some very specific people (checking the registry there's only nine (9) Level IV's in New York state) and why so many? Sending a resume here would land a job but why would anyone want to when they can just go direct?

I would imagine non-specific jobs, such as receptionist, salesmen or "account representative" are full of misleadings.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:26 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
everytime i send a resume for a friend it comes back. they never give you a fax number, phone number or anything.

hey my bro wants a job, it shouldnt be a nightmare to simply send a resume.

I hate craigslist.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:48 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
everytime i send a resume for a friend it comes back. they never give you a fax number, phone number or anything.

hey my bro wants a job, it shouldnt be a nightmare to simply send a resume.

I hate craigslist.
What do you mean it comes back? You mean the email gets bounced back to you? I have never had that happen to me.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:59 AM

577 posts, read 1,759,252 times
I use it and have had interviews with legit companies from it. You just have to look for the ones that list an email and company name... Usually I go to the company website though and apply through there if possible though. I've found Indeed.com to be the best so far though.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:01 PM

386 posts, read 1,052,294 times
really? I've found indeed.com to be pretty much worthless, jobs out of date, never hear back, etc

Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
All Indeed does is scrape other job sites and regurgitate them. Similar S/N ratio to Craigslist, but you will find somethign sometimes that is worthwhile. On Craigslist, you are weeding through scam and insurance jobs, at Indeed, you might run across the same job thats been posted 9 different places and pulled in by Indeed.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,663 times
Agree with the rest...too many scam jobs on CL to make it worthwhile for professionals...my uncle got a carpentry job on there so I think for blue collar jobs this is a win. Indeed is so out of touch but it does collect jobs posted on company websites which aren't found through the typical careerbuilder and monster type channels.

It's funny how all this technology is supposed to make searching easier but you're so far removed from real people it just makes the situation so frustrating.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
Agree with the rest...too many scam jobs on CL to make it worthwhile for professionals...my uncle got a carpentry job on there so I think for blue collar jobs this is a win. Indeed is so out of touch but it does collect jobs posted on company websites which aren't found through the typical careerbuilder and monster type channels.

It's funny how all this technology is supposed to make searching easier but you're so far removed from real people it just makes the situation so frustrating.
And a whole field of people who get paid to screen, interview etc... that really are disconnected from a person's actual ability to do a job.

It's not just the tech, it's a bureaucratic corporate overlay. The tech just enables it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search