Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 PM

89 posts, read 78,847 times

Advertisements

I interviewed for two jobs at the same institution. One pays double what the other does. I know I gave a great interview both times, but I only got an offer for the lower paying one.

I debated whether or not to even take it. I thought, well, they must know what they are doing. The chosen candidates must have more experience, etc. They probably don't even bring people in from the outside except for entry level. I think, OK, I'll take it, swallow my pride, work my way up, show them what I can do, and go for a promotion as soon as I can.

Day 2 of training--in which I am killing it--I realize I am in the same training group as the two people selected for the two higher paying jobs. I won't get into details, but I felt like I was punched in the gut. I went home and cried that night, and I don't ever cry. No WAY they have a PhD or even a Master's like I do, as they can't be more than college aged. One person is basically mute and completely antisocial, in dress and behavior, and the other wears combat boots and tights with holes in them to the training for a PROFESSIONAL job. When asked who is new to the organization, they both raise their hand. Oh, and neither is bilingual, which is what the job posting listed as "strongly preferred." And they're also about 20 years younger than me. BUT I am still in my early 40s, great work experience, impeccable references, bilingual. I look much younger than I am and wore a suit or a professional outfit each day of training last week. I smiled, I chatted, I shook hands, I was rainbows and sunshine.

WTF!

I was kind of OK with the lesser job until I saw who they picked over me. It's like seeing the guy who dumped you with a woman who is not even half of what you are. Actually that happened to me in high school, and this is worse.

I thought about it really hard all week, because I didn't want to quit out of emotion, but tonight I sent my boss a very polite email expressing my confusion, politely explaining all of the above and that I am not a good fit in that lesser position.

I am waiting to hear back, but I know he is going to more or less say 'I'm sorry you feel that way, nice knowing you.'

I am gutted. To know you deserve a job and not get it is one thing, but to SEE who did and know they are so underqualified and yet you were still passed up. I am so sad. And now unemployed again, but really, it barely paid enough for gas, so it's no big loss. I could go work at Target part-time and do better. And I probably will.

I guess I don't have a question. I just want to say that if you don't get the job, don't always assume it's because you don't measure up. I just saw it with my own eyes this week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 10:46 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
I feel for you. I really do, because I've lived that very situation three different times, but worse. In my worst case, the team lead left and I was assigned as acting team lead in addition to my job. This went on for about 9 months before they actually did the formal hiring process. I applied for it which would be a promotion doing the job I was already doing very well but they picked this young guy. My boss didn't even have the guts to tell me face to face. I actually learned from some team members the morning before the boss made the big announcement of who he hired with me sitting in the room. Total slap in the face.

Well this hot shot young guy they hired was a total idiot. He knew nothing about engineering, not even basic terms that a freshman would know. So I had to now work under this guy knowing he had been given the job I had earned. Only good thing is he wasn't there long before he weaseled his way into another promotion and out of my hair.

The only advice I can give, if you can stomach it, is to do a good job at what you're doing and wait for them to blow it.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:55 AM

tnff, thank you for sharing your story. That's awful. I know exactly how you felt, sitting there, watching a clown get your position, and feeling like everyone in the room is silently dismissing you.

Yeah, I already sent the email saying I was not happy. I'm sure it's over. I would have stayed, but for many reasons it's not worth it. I would literally rather go bartend or work in retail, because at least I wouldn't be miserable inside the whole time. I am smart, nice, loyal, and really good in my field, but I just don't have whatever it is that people need to play the office politics game and win. I get trampled on every time, so I think I just need to get a different kind of job. I got on the scale this morning and over the course of one workweek (5 days) I gained a pound and a half. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I lost 25 pounds at the beginning of the year (it was HARD), reached my goal weight, and promised myself no matter what I would not gain it back (for health reasons). I have managed to keep off every pound for 8 months ... until this BS this week.

Sudden weight gain and daily headaches since I started this job. Gee, do you think my body is trying to tell me something? This weekend I am sitting around in my fuzzy robe "recovering," as if I'd had a flu or something. What a week. What a learning experience.

Thanks to all for reading and responding. Just sharing this disappointment with others has helped a lot.

Candy (OP)

Old 12-12-2015, 12:28 PM

13 posts, read 9,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyphd View Post
tnff, thank you for sharing your story. That's awful. I know exactly how you felt, sitting there, watching a clown get your position, and feeling like everyone in the room is silently dismissing you.

Yeah, I already sent the email saying I was not happy. I'm sure it's over. I would have stayed, but for many reasons it's not worth it. I would literally rather go bartend or work in retail, because at least I wouldn't be miserable inside the whole time. I am smart, nice, loyal, and really good in my field, but I just don't have whatever it is that people need to play the office politics game and win. I get trampled on every time, so I think I just need to get a different kind of job. I got on the scale this morning and over the course of one workweek (5 days) I gained a pound and a half. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I lost 25 pounds at the beginning of the year (it was HARD), reached my goal weight, and promised myself no matter what I would not gain it back (for health reasons). I have managed to keep off every pound for 8 months ... until this BS this week.

Sudden weight gain and daily headaches since I started this job. Gee, do you think my body is trying to tell me something? This weekend I am sitting around in my fuzzy robe "recovering," as if I'd had a flu or something. What a week. What a learning experience.

Thanks to all for reading and responding. Just sharing this disappointment with others has helped a lot.

Candy (OP)

I'm sorry to hear that you were passed over for the position you wanted. On Monday morning you should you should talk with your boss. I mean you can address the issue head on by letting him know again why you would be a great fit for that role or something similar to that position. Tell him that you don't feel your current role allows you to add as much value to the company that your capable of adding (provide examples ). Or that you don't mind working your way up and would like feedback on things that you can improve (skills he may have felt you didn't have at the initial interview) so that you don't get passed up for any possible promotions.

It's going to be ok, enjoy the weekend and rewrite your game plan as to how your going to achieve landing your dream job. That's what life is all about, us adapting and chasing our dreams! Sending positive thoughts your way

Old 12-12-2015, 01:28 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Having a PhD does not automatically make you better for the job. Without knowing particulars about the jobs, the other candidates' degrees and experience, how everyone did in the interviews, etc., etc., no one can say with any accuracy whether you were screwed over or not, although I understand why you think you were.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:38 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Is it possible they only look young?

Also, the combat boot clad gal could possibly have an advance degree from the likes of Berkeley or another prestigious university!

You just can't judge a book by its cover! Trust me!

Old 12-12-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhoping View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you were passed over for the position you wanted. On Monday morning you should you should talk with your boss. I mean you can address the issue head on by letting him know again why you would be a great fit for that role or something similar to that position. Tell him that you don't feel your current role allows you to add as much value to the company that your capable of adding (provide examples ). Or that you don't mind working your way up and would like feedback on things that you can improve (skills he may have felt you didn't have at the initial interview) so that you don't get passed up for any possible promotions.

It's going to be ok, enjoy the weekend and rewrite your game plan as to how your going to achieve landing your dream job. That's what life is all about, us adapting and chasing our dreams! Sending positive thoughts your way

Thank you for the suggestions and positive thoughts, I appreciate that a lot right now. I do need to rewrite my game plan for sure.

Candy

Old 12-12-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Is it possible they only look young?

Also, the combat boot clad gal could possibly have an advance degree from the likes of Berkeley or another prestigious university!

You just can't judge a book by its cover! Trust me!
I agree with you 100%, but it's not the appearance. I would never judge anyone by their appearance.

(However, I do think what you wear on your own time vs. what you wear while representing the organization should be two different things. I'd love to wear pajama bottoms to work, for example, but even if allowed I would not do that out of respect for my organization.)

I spent a lot of time with these people this week and it's the behavior that tips me off. No eye contact with anyone, afraid or unable to contribute to the group discussion, not one innovative thought or question, and just generally amateurish. You can't get through a graduate program in my field--and especially not from Berkeley or the like--without being at least a little assertive and confident.

If Combat Boot gal had said or done anything worthwhile over the last five days, believe me, I would not be giving her the side eye at all.

Thanks
Candy

Old 12-12-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Having a PhD does not automatically make you better for the job. Without knowing particulars about the jobs, the other candidates' degrees and experience, how everyone did in the interviews, etc., etc., no one can say with any accuracy whether you were screwed over or not, although I understand why you think you were.

No, I know that. I don't think having a PhD makes me better. At all. I feel very lucky that I was able to finish that degree--I had time and support back then--and there are a lot of other people out there who would have one too if not for limitations like time and money. I am proud of it as a personal accomplishment, but I feel I was very lucky to get to finish it.

I am not an elitist a-hole, believe me. One time I said to a famous TV chef, "Congratulations on your success at such a young age," and he said something like, "Well, I worked really hard." I was turned off by that because a lot of this people break their backs their entire lives and have nothing to show for it. Yes, hard work is part of it, but you also have to be thankful for the opportunities that come your way that other people don't necessarily get.

Anyway, what I think is "great" performance may not be great to someone else. It took me a long time to learn to be confident, as I am naturally self-deprecating and self-doubting, but maybe I came off as arrogant and they didn't like that.

Maybe the successful candidates are really amazing in some way; it's possible.

Thanks for your thoughts. All points of view are appreciated

Candy

Old 12-12-2015, 04:01 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Ok, I would like to apologize ahead of time if my words offend anyone.

Based on my experience, having advance degrees and experience do not automatically make one better for the job.

I've noticed that too many these days with advance degrees feel that they are more capable than they really are just because of their advance degrees. I'm a middle manager. Among those who have worked directly under me have been guys with masters and many years more experience than I do in this profession. When upper management people come around to visit and find out how little experience I have compared to some people here, they always comment you seem to have a lot more experience than that. I always answer nope I've only been doing this that long.

I keep trying to explain to people. It's not how much you've worked. It's not how hard you work. It's not how many degrees you have. It's not even how many years of experience in the field you have under your belt. Too many people these days feel entitled to positions that they aren't capable of fulfilling.

Anyone who's ever hired people know what I'm talking about. Most of the time, you can't really tell how well someone will perform until you've hired him and watch him perform. I've only been doing this a few years and my boss tells me my work is a lot more precise than the guy my company just let go. That guy has a double masters and has been doing this for 15+ years.

Please understand I'm not belittling experience or education. Just know that you are the worst judgment of your own capabilities. We as human beings tend to have an overinflated ego, and that goes for me, too. That's why we have to rely on feedbacks from other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search