Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:11 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,429 times

Advertisements

So in 1095 days of being unemployed she has averaged sending 1.1 resumes per day. When I was unemployed for 548 days (3 years ago) I averaged 8 resumes per day. Out of the over 4000 resumes I sent about 3/4 were out of state. I finally had to move back home to Wyoming to find gainful employment. After 3 years she should be looking elsewhere and really looking to go to work. State job services in every state offer free classes to retrain/stay current on skills. This is what I did and earned a degree in Business and several certs in Material Management, all free and paid by the state of NC! We have resources and must seek those resources. I also have a faith in GOD and prayed constantly and with humility and when I listened and followed he led me here. It was not an easy decision but GOD was there to catch me as I stepped over the cliff. Do not get me wrong....it was hard. I had to move Mrs. EIAFJAM across the country away from her family and away from my 2 daughters (we are empty nesters). If you have faith in GOD it can be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 01:43 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,607,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post
I think the potential employee's actions and activities during their period of unemployment is a very interesting and important indicator of the applicant's mind set and work ethic.
i know it will never change but what i feel what should be more important is what the person is doing now, not what they did back then

Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
^^^ yawn.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Those classes are expensive, and trying to teach yourself is not the best route. An outlook class is over$300, and powerpoint is over $400. The dept of labor is not helpful, they just direct you to expensive classes, there are no free classes for those skills-which do not take long to learn.
Google free classes and attend the ones held by churches, non-profits, and volunteers.

Here is the first link for a google search in Atlanta. There were many free classes.
http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%..._resources.pdf

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Google free classes and attend the ones held by churches, non-profits, and volunteers.

Here is the first link for a google search in Atlanta. There were many free classes.
http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%..._resources.pdf
Thank you. You were more helpful than the GA dept of Labor in Fulton Co.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:44 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
i know it will never change but what i feel what should be more important is what the person is doing now, not what they did back then
Are you a hiring manager?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM

97 posts, read 265,736 times
21 months and i was still considered employable. Took me a bit to learn how to "market" myself. Just finally started a new job Wednesday. Granted, its a temp posituon... but it pays more than UI benefits and food stamps!

Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
The other popular advice on this board is Volunteer work-lol No unemployed has time for no violunteer work especially when it will cost money to get there. The focus is finding work.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Agreed. Past 6 months starts to throw a red flag. I am at 6 months right now and I explain to prospective employers that I have been aggressively looking for a job, have received a couple of offers I turned down, because they were low ball offers, and I had to take a few weeks to help my elderly Mom get a nursing aide, all true.

It's only a flag if you let it be flag

Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
My mother is a school librarian and every year during summer she has a 3 month long employment gap (well, not technically, but she isn't working) and she doesn't do anything work related during that time. She does stuff around the house and goes on a weekend trip here and there. If she applies for another job tomorrow, no one will question her annual 3 month gaps in working.

Yet, if someone is laid off and does nothing for 3 months that person will be labelled lazy, unmotivated, and his application will be put in the circular file. Why isn't a teacher or librarian considered lazy and unmotivated? A lot of them don't do anything for months, yet they aren't judged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search