U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,221,218 times
Reputation: 62049

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
you guys are completely ridiculous..so someone insults me and I cant fire back?..and if I do it's why I didn't get a job.Think about your thought logic...did you graduate from college?

What does graduating college have to do with any of this?
You think you are so smart because you graduated college?
Let me tell you, some of the people who post here have more degrees than you had baby teeth.
People here have street smarts, life experience, wisdom, knowledge and understanding that is beyond anything you can fathom at your age and with your lack of life experience.

Be a smarty mouth tart if you want, do what you want it is your choice but don't look down on those who are actually trying to guide you and tell you exactly how the real world is whether you like it or not.

By the way, almost anyone can be book smart and that is worth about as much as the piece of paper that degree is printed on when compared to real world life experience..........

NEXT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
 
3,492 posts, read 4,954,544 times
Reputation: 5383
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
well im assuming I didn't get it , so the purpose would be to tell them how unprofessional and an ass he was. Who cares if he reads it , doesn't read it or if he laughs at it. At least he knows I sent it and for me ,that's all that matters. I obviously wouldn't sent it until after I didn't get it , but I doubt theyll even call
Bad decision making.

I am professional in interviewing, but I would not even consider hiring someone showing this level (lack) of reasoning ability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 10:04 AM
 
333 posts, read 326,369 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
One time I was kept waiting in the lobby for 90 minutes and every time I asked the Receptionist about how much longer I would wait, she just got angry and told me to be patient. Finally I told her I had another appointment and left.

I found out the address of the President of the Company and wrote him a nice professional letter and told him that his Manager and Receptionist should have treated me better and I was hoping for some type of reply. A few days later I got a call from the President to discuss my experience and he was very nice and promised me when I came in again I would be treated with respect. So I came in again and talked to the man who had kept me waiting. He was very cold and distant and just put me through the motions and a week later I got a rejection letter.
Wow, that's just rude by the hiring manager. He was obviously called out for his incompetence by his superior, so he took it out on you. It's not the first time I've heard something like this. It's sad how some people struggle accepting personal blame for their actions, and try to find a scapegoat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 10:17 AM
 
62 posts, read 65,762 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Bad decision making.

I am professional in interviewing, but I would not even consider hiring someone showing this level (lack) of reasoning ability.
another dumb response..I didn't send the email..which would by your logic indicate that I have good decision making skills?

to the person who commented on my college remark , it was more to suggest his lack of reasoning skills , not book smart. He made an assumption that because someone criticized me here and I made a comment back that that was the reason I didn't get the job. Thats poor reasoning skills. Also , Im the smart mouth but you say that someone has more degrees than my baby teeth . That is the stupidest analogy Ive ever head. Please someone with that many degrees comment here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 10:24 AM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,221,218 times
Reputation: 62049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
another dumb response..I didn't send the email..which would by your logic indicate that I have good decision making skills?

to the person who commented on my college remark , it was more to suggest his lack of reasoning skills , not book smart. He made an assumption that because someone criticized me here and I made a comment back that that was the reason I didn't get the job. Thats poor reasoning skills. Also , I want someone to comment who has 10 degrees?...I guess that would be more than my baby teeth...what a great analogy.

Your attitude is what is going to hinder your ability to get and/or keep a job.

Let's not forget YOU are the one who posted the thread asking for advice.
Does it seem practical and logical for a college graduate who knows so much to do that?
Ask random strangers on a public forum what you should do?
Did you use your expert reasoning skills and real life experience when you decided to start the thread?
Did you find somewhere in one of your books that posting an issue like this on a public forum is a good idea?
Didn't you make the "assumption" that you would read answers that you would like?
Didn't you make the "assumption" that you would not read answers that you didn't like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
 
62 posts, read 65,762 times
Reputation: 23
I agree I shouldn't have made the thread. I just wanted to see if others have written emails like I wanted to before. BTW , another poor reasoning response. The way someone acts on a forum is no indication of how they act in real life. I'm sure if someone came up to you and called you a name or was disrespectful , would you respond like I did or walk away?And no , I dont mean fighting physically , but you would almost certainly respond verbally , correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 11:30 AM
 
Location: The Carolinas
2,003 posts, read 2,017,708 times
Reputation: 6083
Alright, without getting into too many of the details: No, don't send an email. The world is VERY small. The @ss inverviewing person probably has many friends in similar positions in other companies. (TRUST ME ON THIS. A good friend of my manager at my company ended up being my wife's manager at another company. What are the odds, right? Bigger than you think!)

You gain nothing by doing it, except personal satisfaction. If that's what you want, write out a letter and put it in an envelope, leave it on your desk, but don't send it. It will give you the same feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
 
912 posts, read 1,249,567 times
Reputation: 2275
Definitely don't send an email.

Even if, as you say, this job is not in your preferred industry -- one thing I have learned in the nine years since I graduated college (and ouch, that went fast!) is that you literally never know when you're going to encounter someone again, and what position you'll be in.

Without sending an email, your interviewers will likely not remember you six months from now -- with that email, chances are good they'll remember your name even if not your face...and you don't want that unless it's in a positive way. What happens if one of them switches to a job in your preferred industry and you interview with them 1.5 years from now? Once they see your name, they'll wonder...and seeing you will likely jog the memory.

I know it sounds far-fetched, but it absolutely does happen, and more often than you'd think. The professional working world is a small one in most places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Richmond, VA
2,704 posts, read 4,652,547 times
Reputation: 4389
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions2255 View Post
another dumb response..I didn't send the email..which would by your logic indicate that I have good decision making skills?

to the person who commented on my college remark , it was more to suggest his lack of reasoning skills , not book smart. He made an assumption that because someone criticized me here and I made a comment back that that was the reason I didn't get the job. Thats poor reasoning skills. Also , Im the smart mouth but you say that someone has more degrees than my baby teeth . That is the stupidest analogy Ive ever head. Please someone with that many degrees comment here.
Popping off in this forum whenever you disagree with someone is actually indicative of your personality. It's not necessarily indicative that you're unprofessional, but it does indicate you are combative.

You may think you don't show you have a combative attitude outside of this audience, but I'm suggesting you very well may. As long as you know that and are willing to live with the consequences, well, it's your life to live as you choose.

Rip on me if it makes you feel better, but I didn't come here looking for advice and then start attacking those who provided it. Sometimes good advice doesn't come packaged in the neat way you'd like it to be. My initial comment was serious: your messages here indicate an attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM
 
3,764 posts, read 3,501,755 times
Reputation: 8933
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Popping off in this forum whenever you disagree with someone is actually indicative of your personality. It's not necessarily indicative that you're unprofessional, but it does indicate you are combative.

You may think you don't show you have a combative attitude outside of this audience, but I'm suggesting you very well may. As long as you know that and are willing to live with the consequences, well, it's your life to live as you choose.

Rip on me if it makes you feel better, but I didn't come here looking for advice and then start attacking those who provided it. Sometimes good advice doesn't come packaged in the neat way you'd like it to be. My initial comment was serious: your messages here indicate an attitude.
I agree; I thought only us Baby Boomers were this spoiled and entitled!

Now I'm curious to hear the other side's story. Perhaps from their perspective he was a "bad fit".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top