Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:07 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,955,265 times

Advertisements

Well- it didn't turn out in my favor, unfortunately.

The guy knew what my friend and I were there to talk about so he pulled us aside to talk. He apologized for telling both of us that we had a job, and admitted he was a little embarrassed about the situation. Basically, to make a long story short, his sales manager nixed the idea. Why? Because the manager recently made the decision to no longer train anyone without the industry experience. It used to be that those without the industry experience would work during the day and do the course at night for a few months, but they got rid of that program. Apparently it was too expensive relative to just hiring someone that already knows the business.

I could tell he wasn't going to change his mind, so I didn't push it at all. My friend, on the other hand, was furious. (he worked there 20 years ago, so he felt he had the experience) He started pushing his cousin that he was the owner, so he should just tell the sales manager to hire us anyway. The cousin didn't want to do that. As the conversation got heated, I interrupted them, told the cousin I understood his position, and told him if anything ever changed I'd be interested in revisiting the opportunity. I think he appreciated that I didn't push him- seemed like it, anyway. I then excused myself from the conversation.

I spoke to my friend later. Apparently he is no longer speaking to his cousin- there are a ton of hard feelings and he doesn't respect his cousin anymore, etc etc blah blah blah. Bottom line is neither one of us is getting the job.

Pretty anticlimactic, huh?

edit to add: The cousin actually seemed like a pretty nice guy to me. Maybe one of those 'people pleaser' types that got caught in a situation where he either had to **** us off or his manager. He seemed a little upset and really uncomfortable, so I actually kind of felt bad for the guy. It was really a weird feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:09 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,607,697 times
Wow, props for coming back and actually telling the truth. Sorry it didn't work out.

On to the next!

Old 11-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Wow, props for coming back and actually telling the truth. Sorry it didn't work out.

On to the next!
Yeah, it's not the long dramatic story everyone was waiting for, but that's what happened.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:14 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,689,775 times
It's a wise business person who allows his department heads to do their jobs without interference.

Kudos to you for being smart enough not to push the guy.

We predicted it wouldn't change the outcome, but at least now you have your answer.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:16 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,263,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Well- it didn't turn out in my favor, unfortunately.

The guy knew what my friend and I were there to talk about so he pulled us aside to talk. He apologized for telling both of us that we had a job, and admitted he was a little embarrassed about the situation. Basically, to make a long story short, his sales manager nixed the idea. Why? Because the manager recently made the decision to no longer train anyone without the industry experience. It used to be that those without the industry experience would work during the day and do the course at night for a few months, but they got rid of that program. Apparently it was too expensive relative to just hiring someone that already knows the business.

I could tell he wasn't going to change his mind, so I didn't push it at all. My friend, on the other hand, was furious. (he worked there 20 years ago, so he felt he had the experience) He started pushing his cousin that he was the owner, so he should just tell the sales manager to hire us anyway. The cousin didn't want to do that. As the conversation got heated, I interrupted them, told the cousin I understood his position, and told him if anything ever changed I'd be interested in revisiting the opportunity. I think he appreciated that I didn't push him- seemed like it, anyway. I then excused myself from the conversation.

I spoke to my friend later. Apparently he is no longer speaking to his cousin- there are a ton of hard feelings and he doesn't respect his cousin anymore, etc etc blah blah blah. Bottom line is neither one of us is getting the job.

Pretty anticlimactic, huh?

edit to add: The cousin actually seemed like a pretty nice guy to me. Maybe one of those 'people pleaser' types that got caught in a situation where he either had to **** us off or his manager. He seemed a little upset and really uncomfortable, so I actually kind of felt bad for the guy. It was really a weird feeling.
I would follow up with a note thanking him for his candor and re-iterating your interest in the role if things change or if you somehow gain experience.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,701,639 times
Kudos to you for coming back in and being honest about the whole thing. More points as well for actually listening and not cornering the guy. Just maybe he will give you another shot down the road, without the help of your friend who it sounds like is probably never going to work there.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's a wise business person who allows his department heads to do their jobs without interference.

Kudos to you for being smart enough not to push the guy.

We predicted it wouldn't change the outcome, but at least now you have your answer.
I think he really did want to hire us, but you could tell he wasn't going to go against his manager. The thought that popped in my head is that if the economy comes back over the next couple of years and they can no longer afford to be so choosy, I'll be able to call this guy if I ever need a job and he'll probably give it to me. At least, I hope.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I would follow up with a note thanking him for his candor and re-iterating your interest in the role if things change or if you somehow gain experience.
That's a good idea. I will do that.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:28 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,400,555 times
How is it that you do not have the industry experience I thought you stated a few days ago that you are currently in the same
industry hence the reason the guy could hire you immediately without checking certifications, references, etc, simply because he is the owner of the company and can do what he wants to do no matter what anyone else in the company tells him.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:29 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,786,933 times
Glad to see you didn't go the hardline route. From my first post in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123
You're not going to pressure him into this by cornering him. Your stance of "it's harder to blow off a person standing right in front of you" may be true, but it's going to make it much uglier and more definitive when he does it.

He obviously doesn't want to hire you right now. The reasoning behind that is something for him to know and it isn't something he wants to share or he probably would have. Maybe the company is about to perform layoffs because of some missed targets. Maybe he's keeping up appearances with the car but is really struggling financially and doesn't want to let that out.

Whatever the reason, no good will come from trying to corner someone and demand either a job or an explanation for why they won't hire you. Maybe things will change in the future and he'll reach back out to you once things clear up, but if you burn the bridge by pressing too hard, you're likely to regret it in the future.
You got to see first hand how both approaches play out. You may be able to talk to him again, or he may be able to connect you with someone else in the industry who can offer you a job. Your friend did not go that route, and has now thoroughly burned a bridge.

You definitely made the right call by not pressing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search