Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 10:30 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,310,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's a wise business person who allows his department heads to do their jobs without interference.

Kudos to you for being smart enough not to push the guy.

We predicted it wouldn't change the outcome, but at least now you have your answer.
Yes, I'm in agreement. Hopefully all the discussions on here helped make the OP realize that his own confrontation with the guy wasn't going to be in his best interests long-term. It never is.

About the CEO of the HVAC. Imagine you are the Sales Manager and doing your job, and all the sudden for personal reasons the CEO overrides your best recommendations. Most people with any self-respect will not take that kindly and it hurts the business, and you can easily end up losing that great employee over something like this. All the jobs I left over the years, I can honestly say I never left any of them because of money. It was initially how I was being treated. But as a result of going to the better job, I always got a raise.

OP, onward and upward!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 10:34 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How is it that you do not have the industry experience I thought you stated a few days ago that you are currently in the same
industry hence the reason the guy could hire you immediately without checking certifications, references, etc, simply because he is the owner of the company and can do what he wants to do no matter what anyone else in the company tells him.
I never said I was in the same industry. Look at my first post, I said the opposite. I said I have a ton of sales experience, which I do.

And yes, he can hire anyone he wants. But in this case, he is not going to because I don't think he wants to step on his sales managers toes.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Yes, I'm in agreement. Hopefully all the discussions on here helped make the OP realize that his own confrontation with the guy wasn't going to be in his best interests long-term. It never is.

About the CEO of the HVAC. Imagine you are the Sales Manager and doing your job, and all the sudden for personal reasons the CEO overrides your best recommendations. Most people with any self-respect will not take that kindly and it hurts the business, and you can easily end up losing that great employee over something like this. All the jobs I left over the years, I can honestly say I never left any of them because of money. It was initially how I was being treated. But as a result of going to the better job, I always got a raise.

OP, onward and upward!
Yeah, I hear you on this one. For me, actually meeting the guy and seeing it written on his face was important. I tried to put myself in his shoes, and I do see he was in a bad position.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:42 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,310,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
That's a good idea. I will do that.
I recommend you send it postal mail to him for a few of reasons. It is more personal that you took the time to do that. Also, he is likely upset with his cousin over his reaction, so a day or two before your letter arrives will allow for a cooling off period. This way, you alone look like the more serious professional to be considered for a future opportunity. Postal mail of a written letter is harder to ignore than in e-mail which can be deleted in a second.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
I recommend you send it postal mail to him for a few of reasons. It is more personal that you took the time to do that. Also, he is likely upset with his cousin over his reaction, so a day or two before your letter arrives will allow for a cooling off period. This way, you alone look like the more serious professional to be considered for a future opportunity. Postal mail of a written letter is harder to ignore than in e-mail which can be deleted in a second.
Agreed.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:54 AM

709 posts, read 769,850 times
Thanks for the update. It makes perfect sense the owner didn't want to over-rule is sales manager. But why was he out of touch for so long? Was he embarrassed that he had to rescind the job offer?

Old 11-05-2014, 10:59 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,718,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Yeah, I hear you on this one. For me, actually meeting the guy and seeing it written on his face was important. I tried to put myself in his shoes, and I do see he was in a bad position.

Finally! Some logic!

Glad to see you got an answer one way or another, regardless if it was the one you were hoping for. Sometimes it happens. The old saying of "when one door closes, another opens" is more true than you know though. Who's to say he won't hear about someone needing a sales guy and recommend you now because you handled a tough situation with tact? You may still benefit from this (which was a lot of our points from the start) so don't give up on it.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymclure View Post
Thanks for the update. It makes perfect sense the owner didn't want to over-rule is sales manager. But why was he out of touch for so long? Was he embarrassed that he had to rescind the job offer?
I think that's it in a nutshell. As I said, he looked very uncomfortable. It's kind of human nature to ignore a situation and hope it goes away. Still, I'm glad I talked to him. Will it turn into anything down the road? Probably not, but anything is possible.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:17 AM

101 posts, read 141,834 times
Well, I apologize for writing that I thought you were trolling. Sucks that it didn't work out, but I'm sure something will come up. Best of luck.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random856 View Post
Well, I apologize for writing that I thought you were trolling. Sucks that it didn't work out, but I'm sure something will come up. Best of luck.
Thanks. I know I like to argue, maybe there is a job out there for a professional debater!
Any takers?
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search