Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,856 times

Advertisements

^^. Yeah. I through out some general suggestions, but companies get no free CONCRETE ideas or consulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
By "free consulting," I mean being presented with "mock" problems or issues and explaining options to remedy them. Also other related practices pertaining to the industry.

I can pick up on when this is happening, and I am always mindful not to get into the application of the knowledge (how, tactics, methodologies, measurements, etc.).

Still, it does suck and make one feel used.
I'm pretty sure that is also illegal to have someone doing useful work unpaid. Even with internships they are cracking down on abuses.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:02 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,800,319 times
There are places that don't disclose salary until they make an offer. I wouldn't say it's that uncommon. That said, it's also a fine to ask for a range at this stage.

Best of luck

Old 01-12-2015, 01:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
That doesn't sound like free consulting or unpaid useful work, but a test of sorts to see what you're capable of.

In marketing research, candidates are sometimes asked to look at data and put together a report, followed by a presentation. It's on work that's already been done, not work we haven't gotten around to and want someone to do for free.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:17 PM

26 posts, read 61,019 times
Round two of the interview is typically an acceptable time to ask about salary. I am not in HR however at the company I work for (which is rather large) I am a part of the college recruiting team and am responsible for interviews and screenings. When prospective interns/coops ask about salary, we always respond that we are in line with market conditions. Typically we do not give out salaries until an offer is made for entry-level positions.

On the reverse side of things, for a highly technical position (such as a new Trader or CFO), salary and incentive compensation is obviously discussed prior to making an offer. I think it really depends on the level of position you are applying for.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:37 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,155 times
What kind of job is this? I find it ridiculous that a company needs that much time to decide on a candidate.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:42 PM

26 posts, read 61,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
What kind of job is this? I find it ridiculous that a company needs that much time to decide on a candidate.

As questioned, it does depend on the type of position. At the company I work for we typically do a phone screening, in-house interview with HR (or on-campus interview for interns), and finally a 4 hour interview, including the direct supervisor, two managers, and the controller (this is for financial related roles).

So I do not feel the company is too out of line with their requests.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:16 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
I think it was fine to have asked for a salary range at this point, but I also would not want to work for a company that considered it reasonable to send an email over the weekend saying they wanted me there on Monday morning for another interview. I think that is a sign that they don't treat their employees with respect and that isn't going to get better once you start working there. At this point, there is a good chance you won't hear back from them, and who knows whether it's asking the salary or because you didn't jump when they said jump. But either way, I think it's a lucky escape, as this does not sound like a good place to work.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think it was fine to have asked for a salary range at this point, but I also would not want to work for a company that considered it reasonable to send an email over the weekend saying they wanted me there on Monday morning for another interview. I think that is a sign that they don't treat their employees with respect and that isn't going to get better once you start working there. At this point, there is a good chance you won't hear back from them, and who knows whether it's asking the salary or because you didn't jump when they said jump. But either way, I think it's a lucky escape, as this does not sound like a good place to work.
I agree. If they are this thoughtless with people not even on their payroll, imagine how they treat employees. You would probably be E-mailed Saturday and told to come in to work on Sunday.
I think the OP's response was professional and sensible at this stage. Ball's in their court now to treat this as a serious negotiation or forget about it. My gut feeling is that it's a really low-paying job, they know it and they are trying to, as someone else suggested "suck you in."

Old 01-12-2015, 05:30 PM

179 posts, read 268,646 times
A company I worked for used to run ads and have us batch up work and give each applicant a batch to do for a "test". There was NO job. Just a way not to have to pay to get the job done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search