Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times

Advertisements

What *is* a long interview for you? In the past I've had as little as 15 minutes or as much as two hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 11:41 AM

26 posts, read 61,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
It has been my experience that companies who do the long interviews and multiple interviews, always pay low. Every time I have been to the first interview and it lasted more than 1 1/2 hour, or I was asked to come in for a second interview, in the end when they revealed the salary it was low. I have never accepted a job that had a long interviewing process. The best ones have always been the ones where both the interviewer and I knew within 15-30 minutes I was the right fit for the job and we simply cut to the chase.

I will have to offer contrary experience to this. I find the interviews that last 30 minutes or less typically pay low or don't offer much growth. Whereas my current position I had a phone screening, a 30 minute interview with HR, and finally a 4 hour interview with 4 different supervisors and higher. The pay was much higher than anything around here (this was for an entry level accounting position 6 years ago). I had just got out of college and was making more than a lot of people in the work force for 5+ years in other companies.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,292 times
Default Courtesy

You are absolutely within your right to get a range at this point. They may be trying to determine if they can afford you, or if you are a good fit for their culture. Exact salary may be variable, and they are looking for the right value they want to place on your skill set.

Personally, when I call to set up interviews as a hiring manager I ask a couple immediate questions: Are you still looking? Do you understand where we are located and you can get here? You realize the pay range for this position is $xxx to $yyy correct? If the applicant knows this up front, we both save ourselves from wasting time. This is called courtesy. Unfortunately it is missing in much of the world today.

I agree with others who say the company will continue to take advantage of you if they expect quick turnaround and after hours responses. I would not lose sleep if they do not get back to you and offer the information you have requested.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:03 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
You are absolutely within your right to get a range at this point. They may be trying to determine if they can afford you, or if you are a good fit for their culture. Exact salary may be variable, and they are looking for the right value they want to place on your skill set.

Personally, when I call to set up interviews as a hiring manager I ask a couple immediate questions: Are you still looking? Do you understand where we are located and you can get here? You realize the pay range for this position is $xxx to $yyy correct? If the applicant knows this up front, we both save ourselves from wasting time. This is called courtesy. Unfortunately it is missing in much of the world today.

I agree with others who say the company will continue to take advantage of you if they expect quick turnaround and after hours responses. I would not lose sleep if they do not get back to you and offer the information you have requested.
What is even worse is when the salary range stated is way above what the hiring manager will actually pay.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,716 times
They did get back to me with the salary. It's higher than I expected, actually. Now I have to determine what to do next. They said there are still likely 2-3 more interview rounds. I'm also a bit put off by asking me on a weekend, via email, to show up Monday a.m. for an interview.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
5 interviews! That would put me off even more. 2 Interviews fine, 3 maybe, 4 heck no learn how to make a decision.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:49 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
What kind of position is this? Is it high level management? 5 interviews is insane.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:50 PM

384 posts, read 508,117 times
I once went through the entire interview process, including being brought to their location and interviewing with multiple departments and multiple people in each department. Heck, they even had me stay an extra day and had a realtor show me around the area looking at places to live.

All of that without a clue what the job paid. Only did that because A: I was young, and B: If there were going to go to this much trouble/expense I was pretty certain it would pay better than what I had at the time.

When the offer finally arrived (after getting mailed to the wrong address the first time, delaying things a week - which freaked me out), it was higher than I had expected, so I took it!

I do remember thinking it was weird that salary hadn't come up, but again, I wasn't happy at the old place and I already had a job so I didn't see much to lose in the process.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:00 PM

293 posts, read 850,166 times
For a higher paying position, I would consider it, but the email on a weekend asking for a Monday interview would be a serious red flag to me.

In my experience, jobs that are cagey about discussing salary or benefits are often doing so because they're trying to hide something. We learned that lesson the hard way, when my husband took a job that wouldn't answer questions about benefits before his first day of work. They just said benefits "were available," but it turned out that they covered absolutely nothing for spouse or family and it would have cost us $1400 a month for family coverage.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:21 PM

215 posts, read 260,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
They did get back to me with the salary. It's higher than I expected, actually. Now I have to determine what to do next. They said there are still likely 2-3 more interview rounds. I'm also a bit put off by asking me on a weekend, via email, to show up Monday a.m. for an interview.
I went through 3 technical interviews (1 was an 8 hour interview) , 2 HR interviews and 1 interview with the Director before getting an offer.For the last interview I too received a call on Tuesday night for an interview on Wednesday morning. It is possible that the person is not available for other slots that week/ they are looking to make a quick decision/someone forgot to setup a meeting because of communication gap etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search