Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:47 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,545 times

Advertisements

I've gone through two (rather long) interviews, preceded by an intensive phone screening, for a position with a company. I was contacted (over the weekend via email) to come in for yet another interview on Monday morning (mind you, they presented this request by email on a weekend!), but in my response, I diplomatically explained that:

1) I couldn't make it - had a previous commitment;
2) Am really excited that I'm still in the running;
3) Observed that it appeared we are still several steps in the process;
4) Asked for some indication of the actual salary range for the role.

I'm not inclined to invest any more time without actually knowing what the pay scale is for this position. I have not received a reply and believe this company might have been offended by my inquiry (but having given them about 3-4 hours of interviewing/free consulting, I don't really care).

Do you think it was appropriate to ask at this stage? As an employer (if you are/were one), what would you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
If they don't give it at this point I'd move on. There's a reason they don't want to provide it. Any company I'd want to work for would have given it by now.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
It's an appropriate question, and whether or not it was wise to ask it depends on how badly you need a job. It doesn't sound like you're at a point where you're really in need of one, so if they take you out of the running, no loss.

My guess is they're not disclosing it because they want to suck you in before letting you know how low the salary is.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:00 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,023,856 times
^^ Agreed.
Do you have a gig or are you unemployed? How bad do you want this job? Are you desperate?
If not .....move on. It's ridiculous they haven't mentioned salary yet. That's crazy.

((Then again I had a friend, who interviewed for govt gig....went all the way though hiring and didn't know what her salary would be. LUCKLY she was able to negotiate UP, AFTER she'd taken the gig. I read her the riot act! How do you take a gig report for the first day -- and not know the pay. In her case it was a GS scale, but they'd call her for the interview so many months after she applied she'd tossed all the paperwork for it. Of course the gig wasn't still posted. And she didn't want to ASK, and they -- I guess, rightly presumed she knew -- so THEY never brought it up. ARRGGHH!))

Old 01-12-2015, 12:04 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I've gone through two (rather long) interviews, preceded by an intensive phone screening, for a position with a company. I was contacted (over the weekend via email) to come in for yet another interview on Monday morning (mind you, they presented this request by email on a weekend!), but in my response, I diplomatically explained that:

I'm not inclined to invest any more time without actually knowing what the pay scale is for this position. I have not received a reply and believe this company might have been offended by my inquiry (but having given them about 3-4 hours of interviewing/free consulting, I don't really care).

Do you think it was appropriate to ask at this stage? As an employer (if you are/were one), what would you think?
What's appropriate is subjective.

Personally, I think it can be appropriate to ask on that very first call. It all comes down to how one approaches it. At this point, based on what you've indicated, they seem to be avoiding your question.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:05 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
I wouldn't invest the time for anything more than a phone screen without knowing the approximate salary range. IN my profession especially there are companies that want to pay $15 an hour and companies that offer a reasonable salary (not many though). I've been through the mistake of going to 3 interviews on separate days only to hear $15 an hour and leave in disgust.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:10 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,726 times
I'm surprised that after your first two "rather long" interviews, the question wasn't posed then. Did they give you an opportunity to ask questions? If so, why didn't you ask for the salary range then?

Old 01-12-2015, 12:19 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,099 times
I guess I am not surprised, though you are basically correct in that they are hiding that information for good reason (ie their salary offer is likely not very attractive). It is pretty ridiculous that they would email someone over the weekend to request an interview on Monday morning. Most companies that actually are organized and care would pick up the phone and call you and give you a little advance notice.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:20 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post

I think your response sounds very professional, and not like someone desperate for a job (which I think is good). I am really bothered by the free consulting aspect - I've declined to apply for a few jobs that seemed to involve doing a lot of free work and then having the company decide whose work they like better. When I was younger and desperate, I actually went through a weeks long unpaid training/interview with a company - it was me and one other person - at the end of it they revealed that there was actually only one position available. They offered it to the other person. They totally wasted my time for weeks. It was a super shady company that went out of business a few years later anyway. Now I sort of make it a policy not to do any work or training for free.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,541,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I think your response sounds very professional, and not like someone desperate for a job (which I think is good). I am really bothered by the free consulting aspect - I've declined to apply for a few jobs that seemed to involve doing a lot of free work and then having the company decide whose work they like better. When I was younger and desperate, I actually went through a weeks long unpaid training/interview with a company - it was me and one other person - at the end of it they revealed that there was actually only one position available. They offered it to the other person. They totally wasted my time for weeks. It was a super shady company that went out of business a few years later anyway. Now I sort of make it a policy not to do any work or training for free.
By "free consulting," I mean being presented with "mock" problems or issues and explaining options to remedy them. Also other related practices pertaining to the industry.

I can pick up on when this is happening, and I am always mindful not to get into the application of the knowledge (how, tactics, methodologies, measurements, etc.).

Still, it does suck and make one feel used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search