Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:00 PM

133 posts, read 175,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01 View Post
A company I worked for used to run ads and have us batch up work and give each applicant a batch to do for a "test". There was NO job. Just a way not to have to pay to get the job done.
And you went along with that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:06 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01 View Post
A company I worked for used to run ads and have us batch up work and give each applicant a batch to do for a "test". There was NO job. Just a way not to have to pay to get the job done.
You didn't report it?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,478,553 times
@OP.. if you don't need the job and do interview with them again, when salary does come up, put the shoe on the other foot and high ball the salary to waste their time

Old 01-13-2015, 03:30 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
SIL just went through a series of interviews in which he was asked how he would solve a number of IT problems.

They were vague about the salary. Depends on experience and so forth. Finally, he insisted on talking salary range. Though the job would involve more responsibility than his current one, the pay was ridiculously lower.

He thanked them for the opportunity to interview and vowed no more than two interviews from now on without salary being part of the discussion.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,101,735 times
Reasonable thing to ask for. If they are offended, the payscale was going to be crap.

I've handled interviewing applicants. I told them the payscale before the official questions began.

I've also gone to interviews with people that didn't know me well, they heard my qualifications and the first thing they said was, "We can't afford you. If you'd still like..." I didn't tell them my required pay, I just let them know what work I was doing and they immediately realized my work experience put us in different ball parks. I wished I had known that prior to the interview, but I still respected their immediate honesty. They were precisely correct, as the position was offering less than half of what I regularly make online (hence with no drive time or cost)

PS. I have had plenty of people try to recruit me and tell me that it isn't about the money, or had no clue what my existing pay scale would be as a financial analyst. It is about the money. On crap wages, I can't take my wife somewhere nice. She deserves to be taken on nice dates, so I'm **** well going to do it. If they don't want to pay the going rate for someone of my talents, they shouldn't waste my time with an interview.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,842,681 times
It has been my experience that companies who do the long interviews and multiple interviews, always pay low. Every time I have been to the first interview and it lasted more than 1 1/2 hour, or I was asked to come in for a second interview, in the end when they revealed the salary it was low. I have never accepted a job that had a long interviewing process. The best ones have always been the ones where both the interviewer and I knew within 15-30 minutes I was the right fit for the job and we simply cut to the chase.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:37 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
The salary was not disclosed at my current job, even though I had been through several phone screens and come onsite. It turned out it paid better than any job I ever had. I've noticed that better paying jobs tend to put you through the wringer more than poorly paid ones, but I am sure that is not consistently true.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
Believe it or not I had one job that I applied for that took 4 interviews I kid you not and then took almost a month to get back with me and when I informed them that I had taken another job , they asked me why ? I told them that since they had taken a month to get back to me it left me with the impression that they would be slow about a raise increase or promotions and etc and I did not have time to waist I had three kids to feed , clothe , and keep a roof over and could not be that picky about a job . Turns out this job was the best I have ever had since they really took care of me . anyways some jobs can really put you through the ringer .and that last job also paid 75 % of our health care .and also only interviewed once and they called me and asked me to come in so we could discuss salary/pay and hours .

Old 01-13-2015, 09:24 AM

18 posts, read 17,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
^^ Agreed.
Do you have a gig or are you unemployed? How bad do you want this job? Are you desperate?
If not .....move on. It's ridiculous they haven't mentioned salary yet. That's crazy.

((Then again I had a friend, who interviewed for govt gig....went all the way though hiring and didn't know what her salary would be. LUCKLY she was able to negotiate UP, AFTER she'd taken the gig. I read her the riot act! How do you take a gig report for the first day -- and not know the pay. In her case it was a GS scale, but they'd call her for the interview so many months after she applied she'd tossed all the paperwork for it. Of course the gig wasn't still posted. And she didn't want to ASK, and they -- I guess, rightly presumed she knew -- so THEY never brought it up. ARRGGHH!))
I work in the fed system, also on the GS scale. The pay scale is public. So in away, it is up to the applicant to see what the pay is.

Depending on the grade and step (like a GS9), you can negotiate up the scale by steps (1-9). If your friend was able to negotiate UP, it would be either because the posting was multi-scale (eg: GS 7/9/11), or if her experience/education meant she could start at a higher step than 1.

As for the OP, perhaps the pay discussion - since she mentioned consulting - would be something which would have to be discussed when and if the employer decides on a selection.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:23 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I'm not inclined to invest any more time without actually knowing what the pay scale is for this position. I have not received a reply and believe this company might have been offended by my inquiry
If you were working in the HR department of a company, would you be offended by this type of inquiry?
Quote:
Do you think it was appropriate to ask at this stage?
Of course it's appropriate to ask those type of questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search