Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 05:15 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearEyes650 View Post
Interesting. Thanks for the tip about, "I."
Just don't forget to use "I" if presented with a behavior based interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 11:20 PM

94 posts, read 105,002 times
Thank you. Very detailed post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
1. Finding a full time job is a full time job in itself. Want to move into a different field or a career path? Take time out of your personal life if you can.
2. Improve your online presence. LinkedIn is only one of the many different "social media" outlet.
3. Keep surfing LinkedIn and find a group of people whose career paths you find interesting and something you can and you would like to emulate. Look at what skill-set they have and see if you can go from there. I have a habit of constantly evaluating what my progress at work not just with regards to the projects I work on, but what skill-sets I am accumulating. I do this by reaching out to my professional and personal network and chatting with them about work.
4. Can you move? If no, why not? Sometimes, a move even 2-3h away from your current location can get you a much higher pay.
5. Is there an industry you'd like to work in? If yes, what is the dominant skill-set. I'll give you an example. I know someone that worked as an admin at a hospital for a while. She wanted to become a Business Analyst. She spent about 10h every week for about 2 months learning about BA skillset (Coursera/YouTube, etc). She now has a job as a BA and makes about 40% more than her previous job.

And, remember 8 to 5 is only a platform to give you the means to do things outside of work. Don't let your life revolve around work.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:21 PM

94 posts, read 105,002 times
Thanks! I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcp6453 View Post
While I am not a fan of the author, the book, 48 Days to the Work You Love, by Dan Miller, has a lot of helpful information. Guerrilla Marketing for Job Hunters, by Jay Conrad Levinson, is another one that you may find useful. The local libraries may have them.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
You really need to be on the Job Search forum, not the Raleigh-Durham one. Both for advice on what to do and not to do, and for leads. The city-related forums on here are not set up for job-hunting.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:42 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Get the linkedin app. It definitely helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search