Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2017, 12:43 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times

Advertisements

We have always done our own and have been fine, but now DH is at a different level and is really wanting to look good.

We are considering hiring someone to do it or look over his and give feedback.

Is it worth the $200 or more to do that? Part of me thinks he should apply with his current resume and see what happens, but we are on a bit of a time crunch and his work is so specialized that there aren't that many jobs open to even apply for.

Thoughts? Have you used one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 03:40 PM

200 posts, read 175,032 times
That's a lot of money. I had someone look over it once (it was a requirement in my senior year of college that career services review our resumes) and it wasn't very helpful. If you're a good writer and have good experience, it's not worth it. If you need grammar help or need to "fudge it" a bit, it could be helpful by wording things in a way that aren't lies, but make you sound better than you are.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:54 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Thanks.

I actually have found a friend of a friend to look it over for free.....we will see if that helps.

I also see there are several threads on this topic, sorry, didn't mean to be redundant.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:50 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
I think it is worth it.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:29 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,510 times
Exclamation Resume Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We have always done our own and have been fine, but now DH is at a different level and is really wanting to look good.

We are considering hiring someone to do it or look over his and give feedback.

Is it worth the $200 or more to do that? Part of me thinks he should apply with his current resume and see what happens, but we are on a bit of a time crunch and his work is so specialized that there aren't that many jobs open to even apply for.

Thoughts? Have you used one?

Everyone has an opinion. Even Recruiters.

I spent two hours yesterday with a professional whose resume was full of holes, explaining what was 'missing' and why. His resume showed that he was 'qualified' but did not show why he ought to be considered a 'best choice hire'.

A placement firm recently sent out two resumes to their corporate 'mentors' for review- only one person noted that one resume had a dozen typo's and the other appeared to be written by a high school graduate. No one, of all the other 'corporate mentors' noticed anything untoward about the resumes, both former military personnel with technical backgrounds

Bad advice is still being given out by many.

Most people who are NOT hiring authorities don't even know what a resume should look like.

Everyone has an opinion.

'Trying out' a resume only means you won't hear back and won't know why.

You could save yourself a lot of time and trouble if you simply masked personal details and company names and posted it here for the Regulars who post here who are actual hiring managers to look at it.

There are two Regulars in particular here who hire regularly and would know if your resume passes muster and what would be needed if not.

Paul..........

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search