Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times

Advertisements

your mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Don't show up for a job as a cook with long, fake, painted fingernails!

I had one do this and I commented on how pretty they were, she thanked me and said she'd just had them done yesterday. LOL.. I asked her if she would have a problem deboning 120 pounds of cooked chicken with them (not that I would allow it!) since that would have been part of the job.. "OH MY! DO WHAT?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 11:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
She told you 1,2, and 3? Openly without a background check ROTFL. How sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Now THIS one takes the cake. Had one of the people that interviewed last week call today to see if they were being considered for the job (more like EXPECTED to be told they HAD the job). They started YELLING at the poor girl that interviewed them. DEMANDING to speak to the "owner" (my husband or myself). HOW COULD WE NOT HIRE THEM? Um, here is just a few of the reasons WHY NOT:
1. You have had TWO lawsuits slapped on you. One for SEXUAL HARRASEMENT in the workplace and the other for RACISM in the workplace. NO THANK YOU!
2. Told us you had "issues" with PEOPLE. Really? And this job DOES entail working with PEOPLE.
3. Told us you had "issues" with your.......... um, "bodily functions" and would have to suddenly leave for the day. No handicaps mentioned either to clue us into this type of thing. Soooo, okay.

So they had the openess to tell us this stuff IN their interview then had the nerve to call back and THREATEN the person that conducted the interview and DEMANDED to speak to the "boss". NO THANKS! I've got enough to deal with w/o having some fruitcake person like that to have to deal with.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:32 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,730,417 times
I can see how you all would be frustrated, but there is the job seeker's frustration as well.

#1 Don't ask me to go **** in a cup in some dingy lab on the assumption that all job candidates are closet drugheads. I'm 55 years old and nothing about me indicates drug addict. I vehemently resent being sent off for drug testing as soon as I have filled out your application.

#2 Ditch the moronic computer personality test that asks repeatedly if I believe that it's ok to "hit coworkers if I'm mad" and if I use methadone, heroin, or cocaine before coming to work. Whoever developed and sold these idiotic personality tests to employers should rightfully be standing in the unemployment line. No matter what kind of lunatic you are, who is stupid enough to answer 'yes' to any of those questions? You're wasting my time with that junk. I have other job interviews.

#3 Tell me the truth about your position. Don't tell me what it could develop into for the right person or what kind of opportunity awaits me at your company, cut the crap and detail what the duties and responsibilities will be on day one. That way when I discover that the job you posted and the job you really have don't match, I will remove myself immediately and not have to endure #1 and #2.

Believe it or not, I am an honest, loyal, hardworking, intelligent employee. I'm not looking to rip you off, I'm not lying about anything, and I believe in a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. Every job seeker is not a drug addled criminal who steals every chance they get or fakes bogus on-the-job injuries. I'm tired of being treated like a suspect, and now when I send out letters of interest, if you even hint at any of the above attitudes, I've crossed you off my list of potential employers. Not doing business with ya.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Last edited by azoria; 05-23-2008 at 01:41 AM..

Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I can see how you all would be frustrated, but there is the job seeker's frustration as well.

#1 Don't ask me to go **** in a cup in some dingy lab on the assumption that all job candidates are closet drugheads. I'm 55 years old and nothing about me indicates drug addict. I vehemently resent being sent off for drug testing as soon as I have filled out your application.

#2 Ditch the moronic computer personality test that asks repeatedly if I believe that it's ok to "hit coworkers if I'm mad" and if I use methadone, heroin, or cocaine before coming to work. Whoever developed and sold these idiotic personality tests to employers should rightfully be standing in the unemployment line. No matter what kind of lunatic you are, who is stupid enough to answer 'yes' to any of those questions? You're wasting my time with that junk. I have other job interviews.

#3 Tell me the truth about your position. Don't tell me what it could develop into for the right person or what kind of opportunity awaits me at your company, cut the crap and detail what the duties and responsibilities will be on day one. That way when I discover that the job you posted and the job you really have don't match, I will remove myself immediately and not have to endure #1 and #2.

Believe it or not, I am an honest, loyal, hardworking, intelligent employee. I'm not looking to rip you off, I'm not lying about anything, and I believe in a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. Every job seeker is not a drug addled criminal who steals every chance they get or fakes bogus on-the-job injuries. I'm tired of being treated like a suspect, and now when I send out letters of interest, if you even hint at any of the above attitudes, I've crossed you off my list of potential employers. Not doing business with ya.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
That may be true, but how is a potential employer aware of that fact?

Depending on the type of position, an employer and/ or agency will utilize these and other methods to screen out undesirable candidates. If I am applying for a law enforcement position, I sure as heck don't want to work with a person who is lacking in honesty, integrity and may have a substance abuse problem.

As time goes on, employers are going to enact even more intrusive steps in the screening process. Yes, it's frustrating, but It's just a sign of the times.

Frankly, I have no problem with a drug test. I don't do drugs, so what do I have to hide?

Old 05-23-2008, 12:51 PM

947 posts, read 3,573,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
That may be true, but how is a potential employer aware of that fact?

Depending on the type of position, an employer and/ or agency will utilize these and other methods to screen out undesirable candidates. If I am applying for a law enforcement position, I sure as heck don't want to work with a person who is lacking in honesty, integrity and may have a substance abuse problem.

As time goes on, employers are going to enact even more intrusive steps in the screening process. Yes, it's frustrating, but It's just a sign of the times.

Frankly, I have no problem with a drug test. I don't do drugs, so what do I have to hide?

I have no issue with a drug test.. pee test or whatever it shall be... I also invite the employer to do a criminal background check on me... I've got nothing to hide.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 PM

983 posts, read 4,443,006 times
Azoria they cannot discriminate and randomly test those that they think may have a drug issue. It doesn't matter if you are over 50 or 21 if it is company policy. Usually with my experiences I never took a drug test until a job offer was made not during the app process. It cost them money to test every applicant that will not even be hired.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:22 PM

483 posts, read 2,094,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post

Probably true. What is certainly true is the more intrusive and, let's face it, STUPID their hiring procedure becomes, the fewer actually qualified and dependable candidates they'll see. Good jobs require good, intelligent, and trustworthy employees. Good, intelligent and trustworthy employees require bosses with more than one brain cell. They'll move on as soon as they spot an opportunity to work with a functioning human being who treats people with respect.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:26 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Probably true. What is certainly true is the more intrusive and, let's face it, STUPID their hiring procedure becomes, the fewer actually qualified and dependable candidates they'll see. Good jobs require good, intelligent, and trustworthy employees. Good, intelligent and trustworthy employees require bosses with more than one brain cell. They'll move on as soon as they spot an opportunity to work with a functioning human being who treats people with respect.
I definitely see your points, irvm...

Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 PM

81 posts, read 273,899 times
I'm turning 20 this year, but some of the posts that I have read about us in the upcoming working generation are disheartening. All the people I know tend to generalize us as stoners, as one posted earlier. I work hard, and have been financially independent since I graduated from high school when I was 17. I found a good job at a mid-sized corporation when I was 18 that paid $11/hour, now 11.25. At the same time, I go to school and take 18 credit hours, the max I can possibly take, just so I can have some leeway for job searches by my senior year. With the stereotyping of the younger generation as being lazy and half-hearted in work ethic, it makes it that much harder to find someone who will even interview me. I'll be 21 when I graduate with my BS in Finance, but it will all be moot since they were just group me in with the views they have of people my age. I know I won't get a good salary when I graduate, or good benefits or anything like that. We're told that we shouldn't expect all that much for us because of the way society is right now. I know quite a few people that graduated last May, and still can't get a job...they are now resorting to spamming their resumes to whomever, just because they're that desperate for a job.

At least the people that I work for now gave me a chance, and am surprised at how mature I am compared to what they think of my age group. During my interview, I dressed professionally with a business suit that I bought just so I could make a positive impression. I try to dress alright at work, but with the job I'm doing (tech support/auditing changes to accounts) I tend to get into the dusty areas, so I don't dress too nice.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:22 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,477,696 times
I was filling out an app in an office last week and one of the other applicants was actually singing to the radio! I almost walked out myself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search