Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:21 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,707 times

Advertisements

We had a woman (who blew her interview, frankly) come back a few minutes after she left the interview and demand that we pay her parking ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:40 PM

1,257 posts, read 4,577,060 times
I am not very good at judging a candidate. I have a candidate who declares that her family is more important than her job. I kinda like her honesty and hired her. Her salary was much higher than the average in the area (I made the offer before I received the data from our consulting firm). We all think she is very lucky (It is difficult to find a job in our area). To everyone's surprise, she meant what she said. She always has excuse not to come to work. So we terminated her recently. Her last response is that I will get unemployment money from you (she didn’t work for us long enough to qualify). I feel stupid that I hired such a person. I will never do it again.

Old 04-27-2008, 12:34 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Some of the examples of stupid interviewee behavior listed here could be made into a reality TV show. Funny and pathetic at the same time.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,580,472 times
Don't show up for a job as a cook with long, fake, painted fingernails!

I had one do this and I commented on how pretty they were, she thanked me and said she'd just had them done yesterday. LOL.. I asked her if she would have a problem deboning 120 pounds of cooked chicken with them (not that I would allow it!) since that would have been part of the job.. "OH MY! DO WHAT?"

Old 04-27-2008, 12:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
also..turn your cell phone off and if you do forget PLEASE don't answer it in the middle of an interview
In addition to the clothes please don't come in smelling like you've been hit by every perfume sprayer at Macy's
Toss the gum

One more pet peeve of mine.....those very long long fake fingernails polished in absurd colors..unless you are interveiwing for a job dancing at a Gentleman's Club
If it were me:

1. Cellphone rings, interview is over. If you are too dumb to know when to silence your phone, you are too dumb to work for me. Have a good day and good luck!
2. Foul smells, if you come into my office smelling like you smoke cigarettes or you don't use deodorant, interview is over. I am not looking for a walking ashtray or somebody that needs a smoke break every 10 minutes. Also you should be careful of what you eat on the day of an interview and use gas pills. Belching and farting during the interview can get you rejected too. And remember that you might be there for 4 hours and any gas you have will have to remain in you!
3. References, credentials and resume not in hand, interview is over. If you are that unorganized in an interview, you will not be any better working here.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,380,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LingLing View Post
I am not very good at judging a candidate. I have a candidate who declares that her family is more important than her job. I kinda like her honesty and hired her. Her salary was much higher than the average in the area (I made the offer before I received the data from our consulting firm). We all think she is very lucky (It is difficult to find a job in our area). To everyone's surprise, she meant what she said. She always has excuse not to come to work. So we terminated her recently. Her last response is that I will get unemployment money from you (she didn’t work for us long enough to qualify). I feel stupid that I hired such a person. I will never do it again.
I congratulate you for firing this person. As someone who reliably shows up for work everyday and almost never takes unscheduled absences it really frosts me how some people get over by taking off over and over again and nothing ever happens to them. This does cause morale problems in the workplace I believe because the reliable people have to pick up the load for people who aren't there and yet often those deadbeats get paid the same for less work. I know, I work at a place like that. Good management knows when to get rid of bad employees, not just for their bottom line, but also for their good employees who won't have to keep carrying the extra load.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Interviewing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
URGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could write a book. I've had a rough two weeks w/ what is coming in and I'm in a LARGE metropolitan area w/ plenty of "professional" people.

I could go on with more of what we have seen but I've got one that has actually shown up ON TIME! WOW!!! Might have to hire this one on the spot.
Just curious - would you consider someone close to 50 or over 50? Thoughts?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:55 PM

146 posts, read 1,011,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Just curious - would you consider someone close to 50 or over 50? Thoughts?
I think that is the major problem--when you are over 50, you are largely considered "unemployable" because prospective employers think you are going to retire too soon to make it worth their while to hire you or they think they will have to pay you too much. My husband is in that situation--lost his long time job at a college at age 54 due grant funding being cut. He had had 8 interviews in a years time, one flat out asked him if he planned to retire anytime soon, another sent him a letter stating that his credentials were excellent but they hired another candidate who "best fit their needs." I would bet if I did some checking on this other person I would find this person was half his age and had far less experience.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:39 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,879 times
Default The younger gene pool is DUMB

A couple of years ago, I regretfully volunteered to screen resumes for a job opening at my printing company. I had done this a few years earlier in a different part of the country, and I was amused to find that job applicants have only gotten dumber. I posted the following list on another forum in response to the dozens of inept people applying for this position. Who got the job? A young woman who had recently graduated from college and was "desperate" for occupational experience - after 3 months of her coming to work stoned, countless "sick days", going out for beer at lunch, and sitting at her desk putting makeup on all day I insisted upon and was successful with her termination.

1. The job ad we posted clearly states we need somebody with commercial printing experience. It lists the skills you must have to do this job. The ad also states that if you do not have actual printing-related work experience, please do not apply. Response: about 75% of the resumes have no printing-related work history. Running the copy machine as a secretary in a mortgage office does not qualify you. Attending one Offset Printing course at a community college 12 years ago does not qualify you. Having operated a folder in 1981 for six months does not qualify you. Developing web programming languages and using words like Joomla, PHP, and "ISP system authentication security algorithm administrator" (I made that up, but not by much) does not qualify you. DELETED.

2. The job ad is just that: an AD. Short slang for AD-VER-TISE-MENT (or AD-VERT-IS-MENT for you Brits) When you write you are responding to our "add" it only takes me five seconds to scan through a few sentences and see many more retarded spelling errors. Based on your "education" and work history, I'm assuming English is your native language, yet I can barely tell. Your email is barely coherent and appears as if you've either just had 8 shots of tequila or that your keyboard is entering triple letters and/or is missing various characters - people, ****ing READ what you have just typed, please. DELETED.

3. The job ad states that error-proofing and typing accuracy are pretty feckin' important. If you type up a postcard for a client and even if the client approves it - if it's full of typing and/or grammatical errors that you made and we print 10,000 stupid pidgin English postcards, WE are down the ****ter for a reprint. If you're even bothering to read the job posting - and clearly few of you are - and you make the effort to emphasize your accuracy to detail, yet you type the words "typeseting", "profing", or "scaning" (I've seen them all). DELETED.

4. The job ad states that this is an offset printshop. The job duties are rather mundane and technical and primarily consist of preflighting and imposing files, wrestling font problems, trapping, troubleshooting, outputting film, making plates, etc. This is not a "fun & creative" position to "let your artistic talents go wild". Yet, the aforementioned 75% of responses are from the massive herd of unemployed graphic & web designers in the area who want to "express their creative talents in a business environment". People - this is a boring job - I stated so on the job posting. There is very little creative work, almost zero website work, and the link to your online creative portfolio of oil paintings, stained glass, and Photoshop collages of you & your friends at the beach in Mexico (I've seen that too) does not qualify you. DELETED.

5. The job ad states this is a full-time job with a competitive salary, and to reply with a brief summary of your qualifications, resume, etc. Your email consists of "Dear Sir, I require $50,000 annual salary with full health benefits and this & that, this & that. Please contact me for an interview. Joe Smith" No mention of interest, skills, qualifications, etc. DELETED.

6. The job ad states you should submit your resume in either Word or PDF format, or paste it into the email. Yet, I receive attachments in .wpd and .pub format. I've also received one from a "graphic designer" that was an 800KB PDF entirely rasterized, which opened in Photoshop at 72 dpi. And the bulk of files from "graphic designers" are Word docs with the dullest plain text resume template in existence - you're a designer? DELETED.

7. And more on email: 99% of the resume attachments are titled "resume" or "my resume_version2_email" or something more obscure. If I download all these files into a folder to review later, which 1% do you think will stand out and be noticed? Your email address is from Yahoo or Hotmail, and is typically something like "joe_crazy_artist" or "sexypoetrygoddess696969696969@hotmail.com" and you link me to your "portfolio" at the dreaded (you said it, not me) myspace.com or geocities. People, I pay a whopping $35 a year to have my own domain name, email address, and 256MB of webspace to host my site. You don't have to be an expert or even know poop about web design, but you should have some concept of professional appearances if you want to make a favorable impression. DELETED.

8. And finally: we are all people, not machines. We all have personalities, quirks, and the like. Try expressing those to show us why we might like to meet you and work with you. Time and time again I see cover letters and resume objectives with the same boring bull****. Using uncommon 4-syllable words and generic buzzword phrases & cliches will not impress us. Using the word "utilize" is the worst - do not state your employment objective as "I desire to utilize my skills and experience to enable your company to grow and to further enhance my job skills" - I've seen that one a million times - yawn. DELETED.

Here's two links covering the same topic that were posted on craigslist:
Tips for applying to a job from Craigslist.
A little advice for Jobseekers.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:48 PM

253 posts, read 1,740,879 times
Also, a comment on the age thing. I almost prefer hiring people over age 40, or 50, or however old they have to be to even have a brain and desire to work.

I'm only 34, but the sheer retardation and lack of work ethic I see in just the generation beneath me is appalling. My husband is dealing with it too - managing a kitchen he is at the point of rejecting any and all college students. They're the worst - fine for about a week and then the infamous sick days start - like every third day. Late or no show, and when they do show up productivity is low and mistakes are frequent.

I think it's a complete lack of dignity. Zero pride, low motivation. Stoners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search