Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:17 AM

170 posts, read 477,163 times

Advertisements

Wow, ...is it me? Or do most of the line items seem like common sense. I mean, first impressions are important, so showing up late to an interview is kinda....well, I'll leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 AM

198 posts, read 483,258 times
I had a guy tell me he just wanted to use the job for which I was interviewing him as a stepping stone to his preferred career, and that he'd probably quit in about a year. This interview was for a professional, well paying job, not a burger flipping job. I think I saw someone use a line like that in a Dilbert cartoon once, but I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough to say it in real life.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:42 PM

146 posts, read 1,010,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
URGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could write a book. I've had a rough two weeks w/ what is coming in and I'm in a LARGE metropolitan area w/ plenty of "professional" people.

1. SHOW UP ON TIME IF NOT A LITTLE EARLY for your interview!!!! Out of all 8 interviews we have conducted in 3 days this week only TWO were on time. The rest were all LATE!!! Next one late will NOT get an interview! Even tried to give an "out", "did you find the place okay?". To which they answer, "no problem at all finding you".

2. If you only had a job for a few weeks, do NOT feel the need to put it on your resume. Really. Don't as it does NOT help you if you have SEVERAL of these. Yes, saw it on many MANY resumes so far.

3. I do not mind that you have been out of the working world for 4-7 years. I'm a mom too. So you stayed home w/ the kids. That is PERFECTLY FINE AND ACCEPTABLE with me.

4. If you laugh like a hyenia then PLEASE try to refrain from laughing out loud in the interview. I heard the high pitched squels coming out of one the other day and almost passed out. Not just once either. I was not even the one doing the interview EITHER! I was in another office and they were still on the "first round" of interviews.

5. If your not eligible for rehire at your previous employer because you were too busy texting......... put the DA#^ PHONE UP!!!! Seriously, had this happen the other day for one applicant.

6. Dress appropriate for the job. Some don't require a full out business suit so get a picture of what to wear for THAT job. Wear something that would be the nicest you would wear on a NORMAL day for the job.

7. $8.50 an HOUR!!! Is ALL your expecting and you have a MASTERS DEGREE!?!?!?!?!?!?! And your applying for a PROFESSIONAL JOB!?!?!?! Really trying to "sell yourself there" aren't we. NOT!

8. If you quit a job for a pitiful reason then don't give that info out. Seriously. Had one applicant that quit their last job after a week because they would not give her an earpiece for the phone. WTH!?!?!?!?!?!!?! What if our phone system won't handle an earpiece either?

9. Do not tell us you want a "VERY LOW stress job" and don't like to answer the phones as that is one of the TOP items IN the JOB DESCRIPTION!!!! Don't waste the time applying and don't waste our time having to interview you then.

I could go on with more of what we have seen but I've got one that has actually shown up ON TIME! WOW!!! Might have to hire this one on the spot.
I have been looking for work for over a year and wish all the things that you said were true. I have been self employed the last four years so that I could raise my family. I can't get anyone to even take me seriously since I took off time to raise my family. And yes, I have a Master's degree and excellent job experience but all I can find is $8.50 an hour jobs since I don't have "current" experience. I wish I had applied for a job with your company! I should also add that my 54 year old husband, who also has a Master's degree, is working as a greeter at Wal-mart since he can't find a decent job. He lost his job as the grant he was working under was not refunded and the college he worked for just dumped everyone out who was in that program, even though he had worked there many years. Now he is competing for jobs with people who are half his age and employers seem to fear he is either going to retire or that he will want to much money since he has years of experience. It is a catch 22 situation. Wal-Mart was the only one who was willing to give him a chance at his age! NO, he doesn't like it but it helps to pay the bills. What needs to change is employers attitudes about mothers who stay home a few years to raise a family and older workers who are deemed to old to hire!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Now THIS one takes the cake. Had one of the people that interviewed last week call today to see if they were being considered for the job (more like EXPECTED to be told they HAD the job). They started YELLING at the poor girl that interviewed them. DEMANDING to speak to the "owner" (my husband or myself). HOW COULD WE NOT HIRE THEM? Um, here is just a few of the reasons WHY NOT:
1. You have had TWO lawsuits slapped on you. One for SEXUAL HARRASEMENT in the workplace and the other for RACISM in the workplace. NO THANK YOU!
2. Told us you had "issues" with PEOPLE. Really? And this job DOES entail working with PEOPLE.
3. Told us you had "issues" with your.......... um, "bodily functions" and would have to suddenly leave for the day. No handicaps mentioned either to clue us into this type of thing. Soooo, okay.

So they had the openess to tell us this stuff IN their interview then had the nerve to call back and THREATEN the person that conducted the interview and DEMANDED to speak to the "boss". NO THANKS! I've got enough to deal with w/o having some fruitcake person like that to have to deal with.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Now THIS one takes the cake. Had one of the people that interviewed last week call today to see if they were being considered for the job (more like EXPECTED to be told they HAD the job). They started YELLING at the poor girl that interviewed them. DEMANDING to speak to the "owner" (my husband or myself). HOW COULD WE NOT HIRE THEM? Um, here is just a few of the reasons WHY NOT:
1. You have had TWO lawsuits slapped on you. One for SEXUAL HARRASEMENT in the workplace and the other for RACISM in the workplace. NO THANK YOU!
2. Told us you had "issues" with PEOPLE. Really? And this job DOES entail working with PEOPLE.
3. Told us you had "issues" with your.......... um, "bodily functions" and would have to suddenly leave for the day. No handicaps mentioned either to clue us into this type of thing. Soooo, okay.

So they had the openess to tell us this stuff IN their interview then had the nerve to call back and THREATEN the person that conducted the interview and DEMANDED to speak to the "boss". NO THANKS! I've got enough to deal with w/o having some fruitcake person like that to have to deal with.
had one applying for a job with heavy "Credit Card Handling" "NEGLECT" to tell us that she had pleabargained the credt card theft from a felony to a misdemeanor.......

Old 04-25-2008, 03:55 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,581,185 times
Had a kid come in for an interview once ... "why do you want this job" ... "well I donno" or "cuz I need the money".

Old 04-25-2008, 04:59 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Interesting information. One poster mentioned that they were not asked in because they had made too much money. May want to revise and never put down money made in the past, or expected in the future. For one thing it has nothing to do with the job you are trying to get. Another thing is that employers that may be looking to hire you for a high paying position, may think that you aren't making enoph for that position. Always let them talk about money first. In addition someone stated that they and their husband both had Masters degrees and couldn't get a high paying job. My question is the Masters in a marketable field?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Interesting information. One poster mentioned that they were not asked in because they had made too much money. May want to revise and never put down money made in the past, or expected in the future. For one thing it has nothing to do with the job you are trying to get. Another thing is that employers that may be looking to hire you for a high paying position, may think that you aren't making enoph for that position. Always let them talk about money first. In addition someone stated that they and their husband both had Masters degrees and couldn't get a high paying job. My question is the Masters in a marketable field?
I don't think it matters what the Masters is in...it's definitely worth well over 8.50 per hour

Old 04-25-2008, 09:10 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,231 times
I've been lucky, in a sense... almost 100 percent of the job interviews I've done are by email at first, then after I pass the ":first round", we talk on the phone a few times.

That being said, I usually know when Im getting an email or phone interview, so I have plenty of time to do my research.

USUALLY the first time my employer physically sees me in person is my first day on the job. I usually show up 3 days early, on their request, to train, then 3 days after I arrive, I start my job.

The VERY FIRST DAY I'M there I usually dress better then you'd expect a small market radio announcer to dress, especially considering I sit in the studio most of the day.

Some of what I've read on this thread is AMAZING!

When I get asked, "Why do you want to work with our radio station?" my response is usually along the lines of, "I've seen through research online and viewing your stations website that you are committed to live and local broadcasting along with being A PART of the community.. something I desire to be as well".

I do have people who see my resume, and see that I've been on air in Melbourne, Florida or Dover, New Hampshire and a Station Manager in South Carolina assume that the rate they pay for on air people in Iowa or North Dakota isn't as much as I need or deserve.

They are then quite surprised when I give them the ballpark of what I've made in the past.

The one question I HATE most is ads that tell you to submit your salary requirements in your intial email! I've seen some jobs that seemed like they'd pay enough for me, but turns out they couldn't.. and some jobs that pay WAY more then I thought they would!!

I'm always worried about overshooting or undercutting.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:33 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Don't beat yourself up about it, $5000 isn't a lot to overshoot. You want the employer to tell you the amount first; that way you can negotiate.
They should...but they don't.

The first interview I had out of college, I was doing pretty well, then the question of salary came up and I asked for a median of what they offered employees, and they wouldn't tell me. I was totally unprepared and undershot what I was supposed to make by around $15,000 (yeah, I'm a total idiot). I didn't get the job for other reasons, but that lingered in the back of my mind.

Then this recent one, he wouldn't tell me either, so I had to take another stab. I thought I'd learn my lesson, but I guess I didn't. Ugh. Life's lessons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search