Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:03 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,400 times

Advertisements

I know how you feel. You sort of have to act your way through an interview and watch your mannerisms, the way you answer questions, eye contact, etc.

I've been at my job for 3 years and I hope to find another one soon, but I'm not looking forward to interviewing.

In the meantime I sometimes watch The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch and Happy Hour, hoping to get inspired to come up with a business idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Oh Gosh Ron,

More people experience the "fake factor" than you think. A good friend of mine is currently searching for work and, in fact, he just called me a few minutes ago. He said "I'm in my car in the parking lot about ready to go into yet another job interview and just dreading the process. I've just got to the point that I can't fake enthusiasm anymore." I TOTALLY get this. Been there done that. He's been out of work for a while now, and he calls from the parking lot of every interview, just to get a pep talk. Sometimes I think it does wonders just to know someone else can empathize with you. I too am thinking about relocation so of course, that means putting my head on the job search block and I just dread it for that very reason. And hearing about my friend struggling to "put on the face" doesn't make the prospect any more attractive.

I'm pulling for ya, Ron.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:05 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times
In a perfect world, the interviewer would get to the salary amount first and do the interview afterward, that is if you were still there! It is so frustrating to spend an hour or more bull*hitting and trying to impress someone only to find out that the pay is crap! I hate it when that happens.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
In a perfect world, the interviewer would get to the salary amount first and do the interview afterward, that is if you were still there! It is so frustrating to spend an hour or more bull*hitting and trying to impress someone only to find out that the pay is crap! I hate it when that happens.
Agreed!

Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 AM

983 posts, read 4,441,061 times
I feel the same as the OP. I play it safe because I don't want to deal with all that crap that involves interviewing/acting. I feel like it all comes down to if a person likes you or not. But in my line of work there is a lot of the good ole boy network going on. Not real estate but police dept.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:12 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Absolutely! In the past I went to an interview once only to find out that the lady had never seen anybody of my nationality and was curious to meet me even though she knew I wouldn't be interested in the salary they offered... Had a nice trip to an industrial and disgusting part of town out of it.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I am at the point to where I don't even feel "real" when I am in a job interview.
I don't know how else you can possibly feel...

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
When I start to feel that I way I tend to sign up for a course at the community college that sounds interesting and at least vaguely useful. Even stuff like "planting a vegetable garden". When the interview asks what "makes me different" or something then I can bring up the class and sound enthusiastic about SOMETHING.
LOL, can't you manage to sound excited about the veggie garden without actually signing for the course...?! It’s such a ridiculous and pathetic game! As if both parties don’t know exactly how dumb it is…

Old 06-11-2008, 09:41 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
Thanks a million!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Oh Gosh Ron,

More people experience the "fake factor" than you think. A good friend of mine is currently searching for work and, in fact, he just called me a few minutes ago. He said "I'm in my car in the parking lot about ready to go into yet another job interview and just dreading the process. I've just got to the point that I can't fake enthusiasm anymore." I TOTALLY get this. Been there done that. He's been out of work for a while now, and he calls from the parking lot of every interview, just to get a pep talk. Sometimes I think it does wonders just to know someone else can empathize with you. I too am thinking about relocation so of course, that means putting my head on the job search block and I just dread it for that very reason. And hearing about my friend struggling to "put on the face" doesn't make the prospect any more attractive.

I'm pulling for ya, Ron.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:43 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I am at the point to where I don't even feel "real" when I am in a job interview. It's getting tougher for me to "play the game". I just can't do it anymore. Although I do need to continue my job search, it's just becoming a painful process mentaly. Sometimes I feel like I am making a complete ass out of myself. I am so sick and tired of "telling them what they want to hear". I feel like I am losing apart of myself.

I know what I want to do in terms of my "career" but I have to have cashflow coming in so I can make things happen. What I want to do involves creating my career(entreprenuership) not going out and begging someone for it!

Am I wrong for feeling like I don't want to do this stuff anymore?

The jumping through hoops and all the other bull you have to do. Can someone really know who I am based on 1 sheet of paper and a half hour conversation?

Has anyone else felt this way before?

cr
I know the feeling. I've never been one to BS but it's expected. If you're honest, they figure you must REALLY be lousy because you can't even come up with the BS. I hate interviews.

I am a very capable person. Intelligent, resourceful, educated and experienced but I am human. For the most part, I do my job and do it well but they want to see resumes where you blow things into mega importance that really were just every day occurances.

I've always hated it when people blow their own horn. Makes me think they are not capable and just blowing smoke. I'd rather be real but real won't get you hired.

For example, I'm switching from engineering to teaching and they want to hear how I have all the answers. Well, no, but I'm highly capable and WILL figure it out. How could I have all the answers? I haven't done it yet. And any new graduate who tells you they do is full of it. That kind of self deception is determental to everyone involved IMO. But I can't be honest and say "I don't know but my track record shows I'm resourceful enough to figure it out."

I left product design because of this. I couldn't play the game. I loved investigating new solutions and seeing my designs incorporated into product but I couldn't play the BS game of look how good I am day after day. Now I have to every time I go on an interview and I'm sure it comes off as fake because it is.

I HATE the game. What's the purpose? They're not finding the best candidate this way. They're finding the best BS'er.

(can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search