Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM

663 posts, read 2,264,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I HATE the game. What's the purpose? They're not finding the best candidate this way. They're finding the best BS'er.
YES! I feel the same way. I am horrible at BSing. I hate interviews. I am a real and practical person. I don't like to sit there and talk about what I do, I like to DO. I hate it when people can go on for hours, talking about themselves. I have no interest in doing that and torturing anyone. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 PM

213 posts, read 672,257 times
I definately can relate to that. I have had numerous interviews where I have spent 70-100 dollars in gas to travel to interviews being all upbeat and excited, because I really want the job, only to be rejected and broke when I return home. The job process is crazy. I really want to work for a non profit organization or anything dealing with social services but if it is going to be this tough then i might have to find another avenue. Being yourself doesn't bring forth much anymore these days.
I've heard stories about employers not even hiring at the moment they are posting positions due to freezes. Employers already knowing what they are looking for before you even walk through the door. Remarks like "you need to network because in reality "It's all in who you know." ect.. All I can say is be positive, and do a lot of praying.

Old 06-11-2008, 02:10 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,769 times
In some ways I'd almost rather skip the interview and just let them try me out for a week as an employee, heck I'll even work that week for free. If they like me then bring me on with a salary, and if they don't like me or I don't like the job then goodbye.

Interviews have definitely gotten old and trying to impress people is never fun.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
I am the same way, I can't stand when people blow their own horn. I really liked the part that I underlined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I am a very capable person. Intelligent, resourceful, educated and experienced but I am human. For the most part, I do my job and do it well but they want to see resumes where you blow things into mega importance that really were just every day occurances.

I've always hated it when people blow their own horn. Makes me think they are not capable and just blowing smoke. I'd rather be real but real won't get you hired.

For example, I'm switching from engineering to teaching and they want to hear how I have all the answers. Well, no, but I'm highly capable and WILL figure it out. How could I have all the answers? I haven't done it yet. And any new graduate who tells you they do is full of it. That kind of self deception is determental to everyone involved IMO. But I can't be honest and say "I don't know but my track record shows I'm resourceful enough to figure it out."

(can you tell this is a pet peeve of mine?)

Old 06-11-2008, 07:22 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,719,194 times
What would be an alternative way to hire if not through an interview process?

I've had to hire several people for positions that are very people-oriented, and an interview gives me an opportunity to see their interpersonal skills, which is probably more important than how much you know or have done. I'd rather hire a good team player who can learn than a loathsome wretch with a lot of experience, as well as someone who knows what they don't know instead of someone who thinks they know everything.

Also, confidence is a good thing, bragging/arrogance/phoniness is not. And even if you aren't right for a position, making a good impression has networking potential that can lead to other opportunities.

(btw, I've been trying to work the term 'loathsome wretch' into conversation for a while now, glad I got a chance to do it.)

Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j760 View Post
In some ways I'd almost rather skip the interview and just let them try me out for a week as an employee, heck I'll even work that week for free. If they like me then bring me on with a salary, and if they don't like me or I don't like the job then goodbye.

Interviews have definitely gotten old and trying to impress people is never fun.
I was thinking the same thing today! Just let me work there for free for a week and I'll show you what I can do.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
What would be an alternative way to hire if not through an interview process?

I've had to hire several people for positions that are very people-oriented, and an interview gives me an opportunity to see their interpersonal skills, which is probably more important than how much you know or have done. I'd rather hire a good team player who can learn than a loathsome wretch with a lot of experience, as well as someone who knows what they don't know instead of someone who thinks they know everything.

Also, confidence is a good thing, bragging/arrogance/phoniness is not. And even if you aren't right for a position, making a good impression has networking potential that can lead to other opportunities.

(btw, I've been trying to work the term 'loathsome wretch' into conversation for a while now, glad I got a chance to do it.)
For people oriented positions, an interview is useful to view interpersonal skills, I agree. But to ask them "trick" questions to get them describe their interpersonal skills in that same interview when you can SEE what those skills are just by talking to them is wasting time, I think. I bet some interviewers may do this ....

Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,442,495 times
These employers will ask you all these questions and tell you that you need to do this and do that, and 9 out of 10 times you won't even be doing anything that they are asking you about. It's a joke!

Old 06-12-2008, 01:28 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,188,268 times
PG,

At every interview that I have had, they ask the dumbest questions I have ever heard in my life. I often times wonder if they have read my resume, sometimes they have flat out told me they did not read my resume.

It sucks. I don't not envy anyone that can go to wlrk day in and day out for thesake of "paying bills". I'm 34 years old and I refuse to go through my life like that. I hope I live a long time, so I need to get another game plan because this jumping through hoops bullsh#t is not working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
These employers will ask you all these questions and tell you that you need to do this and do that, and 9 out of 10 times you won't even be doing anything that they are asking you about. It's a joke!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,788,584 times
Thumbs up Good thread CR!

And I agree! Many times the job description is so short, I have no idea what I will actually be required to do . And where I live currently, many of the employers that have job openings in my field are so small, that finding out about them can be extremely difficult because they either don't have websites or if they do, they are the 'bare bone' type .

I've found it very challenging to sell myself or get excited when I have no idea what tasks I'll be doing on a regular basis or even what the work environment is like ! Maybe we should all go into acting and put all this pretending to work ! LOL !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search