Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:42 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I find it thoroughly demoralizing that I should have to remove degrees and qualifications. I find it even more demoralizing to think I might apply at McDonalds or a retail outlet. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd be reading a thread like this.
Yeah...you know I went to college, well, first and foremost because I value education and wanted to learn. But also because I thought it would prevent me from EVER having to work at Chuck E Cheese, restaurants, retail, etc. ever again (all things I did while in college). Never in MY wildest dreams did I think I might have to do work like that again years down the line, just to pay my bills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,795 times
Dumbing down the resume is a lose, lose situation IMHO. Based on my most recent salary, for the same amount of dollars, I am now UNDER qualified. For the same position, I am OVER qualified due to the lesser salary offerings. In order to now qualify, I will have to alter my salary requirements and job position which will reset and lower my advancing opportunities and essentially I have placed myself in a lower class / career position that will have impact far past the time one would collect paychecks. I do not want to consider this option; yet, it appears to be a necessary evil for many.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhopper View Post
Dumbing down the resume is a lose, lose situation IMHO. Based on my most recent salary, for the same amount of dollars, I am now UNDER qualified. For the same position, I am OVER qualified due to the lesser salary offerings. In order to now qualify, I will have to alter my salary requirements and job position which will reset and lower my advancing opportunities and essentially I have placed myself in a lower class / career position that will have impact far past the time one would collect paychecks. I do not want to consider this option; yet, it appears to be a necessary evil for many.
Are you working now? If not, when and what will make this happen?

Old 09-01-2009, 03:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Your not an HR person?
No, I am not. Nor do I play one on TV.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
You sound like one in your earlier response.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:28 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
No, I am not. Nor do I play one on TV.

He did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

If you have more experience and education than the person hiring you they worry you will be doing their job next week.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
So are you saying I should apply for the CS position at Kmart? I've worked at Kmart before scanners; I suppose I could handle that to get money.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM

754 posts, read 1,923,010 times
I dumbed down my resume, and I did get a job based on the watered down version. I plan on working for the company as long as they will have me because they have a Defined Pension Plan and no rumors of freezing as of yet. I can always move up through the company.

I tailored every single resume I sent out to the skill requirements. (You should see the memory space my job folder eats up on the computer as I keep copies of them to make sure I know which resume the company that called back had in hand.)

Old 09-02-2009, 04:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Can everyone stop saying DUMB DOWN? I believe it's called making your resume fit and a certain salary range. And that's not called dumbing down, just removing certain parts.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:18 PM

563 posts, read 1,711,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Can everyone stop saying DUMB DOWN? I believe it's called making your resume fit and a certain salary range. And that's not called dumbing down, just removing certain parts.
To me it's dumbing down. It's taking away anything that makes me look smart (my college education) and well qualified (my professional corporate experience) just so I can get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search