Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:51 AM

18,732 posts, read 33,402,036 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all for continuing to clarify this discussion.
It would still appear that "messianic Jews" who believe in J.C. are converts, not Jewish. They might be Jewish by the old racial ideas ("Jewish blood/Jewish mother") as I am "half-Jewish" by the Nuremburg Racial Laws of 1935 via my father/his parents) but not Jewish by belief. (To make sure I'm clear, I don't believe in racial Jewishness, but it's pounded into my head by history and my father saying, "If Hitler came back, you'd be Jewish enough" while I got no religious or cultural instruction).
I am still think that those who call themselves "messianic Jews" with a belief in J.C. or a mission to "save" other Jews to accept J.C. are one shred to the right of southern Baptists and others who see conversion as part of prophecies leading to the second coming (although I gather Armeggedon is required first?) and these people vote and hold office and make decisions about the U.S. and the Middle East.
Shall I say this concerns me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:24 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I highlighted the key word of your statement. These Jews for Jesus types have a defined strategy of proselytizing and converting Jews away from the religion of their birth, in order to turn them into Chrsitians (albeit with a fancy titles like "Completed Jew," or "Messianic Jew.").

Of course we Jews have a strategy as well: To keep to ourselves. Keep a low profile. Keep the 613 mitzvahs in the Torah, and let others be free to be who they want to be.
"Completed" Jew? What a slap in the face, and so condescending that anyone would say that. Your last paragraph says it all - we're doing what we are commanded to do; not sure why others just can't leave us alone.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
We just celebrated purim - while theres some question as to the profile Mordechai kept, he hardly kept to himself. I would say thousands of years of Jews being royal physicians, prominent merchants, etc, etc would show we have a tradition of being actively engaged in the societies we live in.

Perhaps you only meant that we don't proselytize. Thats different. (though there are grey areas even there)
Perhaps it can be said that we keep to ourselves religiously speaking. We don't look to the outside Christian world for approval, only to Hashem. We interact with the world and we are to be a light unto the nations, but we don't pray with Christians and we don't merge with their agenda.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2012York View Post
Messianic Jews are Jewish who believe in Jesus Christ as messiah. Yes, they are Jewish and NOT Christians. Of course many Jews are angry about it and say that they are not Jewish any more and became Christians, which is not the case.
I would not say we are angry. To most of us, it is very sad and unfortunate that they engage in these practices. It makes my heart sink when I hear of these matters. I am sorry to offend you, but that is the truth.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:01 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Perhaps it can be said that we keep to ourselves religiously speaking. We don't look to the outside Christian world for approval, only to Hashem. We interact with the world and we are to be a light unto the nations, but we don't pray with Christians and we don't merge with their agenda.

I would challenge that too, in a modern context. Many of us do ecumenical services for thanksgiving, we welcome gentile guests to bar/bat mitzvah ceremonies, and we invite gentile friends to shabbos dinners. This is a chance to give our fellow citizens a better idea of what we are really about - which can reduce the hatred that comes from ignorance ( I for one, after the events of the 20th century, will not leave the issue of antisemitism and Jewish survival in Hashems hands,unless "Hashems hands" is interpreted to include our own) , and, given the reality of intermarriage, can plant the seeds of openness to conversion to Judaism in those situations where it really matters to us.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I for one, after the events of the 20th century, will not leave the issue of antisemitism and Jewish survival in Hashems hands,unless "Hashems hands" is interpreted to include our own.
And Neville Chamberlain thought appeasement would keep Germany at bay...

BBD, we'll just have to disagree on this point. I do not believe Jews do any better in the world when we let others see who we are and what we do. Remember, we are the ones who remind the world, by our very existence, that Hashem controls EVERYTHING. To think that we control ANYTHING against Hashem's will, is well (I'm not gonna say it to a fellow Yid)

Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
And Neville Chamberlain thought appeasement would keep Germany at bay...

BBD, we'll just have to disagree on this point. I do not believe Jews do any better in the world when we let others see who we are and what we do. Remember, we are the ones who remind the world, by our very existence, that Hashem controls EVERYTHING. To think that we control ANYTHING against Hashem's will, is well (I'm not gonna say it to a fellow Yid)

Someone who walks into traffic expecting hashem to help him is a fool, and will not get Hashem's help. Someone who does not pursue pragmatic actions for jewish survival, whether those involve strength and arms, or conciliation, is similarly a fool.

As for comparing my gentile friends and neighbors to Nazi Germany, and comparing inviting someone to shabbos dinner or to a bat mitzvah ceremony to betrayal of an ally, and handing the sudetenland to the Nazis, - well I don't want to discuss what that is either.

You would do well to note that the Aguda in eastern Europe had NO compunctions about negotiating with gentile governments, and often with antisemitic elements in the eastern european politics that the jewish left (the Zionists and left yiddishists) disdained. Today, ultra O politicians are happy to work with gentile pols from Brooklyn to Rockland County, though often in ways that leave a sour taste in the mouths of ordinary gentile citizens(and non orthodox jews)

Read this book - http://www.amazon.com/Central-Europe.../dp/0253204186

Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Just to get back on track, I'll repeat that Jews do best when we stay out of the spotlight. We're hated and resented no matter what we do, so out of sight out of mind is our best bet. And that's a proactive policy of survival that we can control.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Just to get back on track, I'll repeat that Jews do best when we stay out of the spotlight. We're hated and resented no matter what we do, so out of sight out of mind is our best bet. And that's a proactive policy of survival that we can control.
Then to stay out of the spotlight, maybe the Lawrence school board should resign? (a Long Island public school district with an O dominated school board that has elicited controversy in their choice of excess schools to be sold to Yeshivas) Or dissolve Kiryas Joel, which has created many controversies and drawn lots of attention? Or the chabadniks who never miss a chance to have a public menorah lighting, to hobnob with pols, etc.

Of course true antisemites will hate, whether we do things like that, or whether we are all people who advance humanity. Advancing the good of humanity is good on its own grounds. I know many gentiles who do NOT hate us, and are impressed by the good that we do - naturally we dont all experience the same things.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Because ALL Jews pray for that to happen, but the Messianic Jews believe Jesus WAS the Messiah and look forward to his "2nd coming".

But I beleive that Jesus was not the messiah, and I look forward to the first and only coming of the messiah. And THAT is the jewish approach to the messiah, ergo, I am a messianic Jew and the jews for Jesus are NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism