Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 02:08 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times

Advertisements

You're saying we can't have a thread on Jewish humor?

"Sorry, but I would not allow a Non-Jew to post some of the Jokes I just read in this thread.

I can not allow anyone to poke fun at Judaism, that includes Jews."

Seems pretty unnecessary overly aggressive moderation to me.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:37 AM

388 posts, read 384,932 times
Considering that my first post and the subject of the thread was not a joke. Between that and deleting hebrew words is getting pretty ridiculous.

Last edited by Tikva; 02-24-2014 at 04:00 AM..

Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 AM

864 posts, read 871,429 times
Quote:
I can not allow anyone to poke fun at Judaism, that includes Jews."
Especially since you have no qualms about self-hating Jews posting libelous accusations against the orthodox.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:00 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
So far I thank you all for your input. As you all know the forum is yours and it is my job to keep it as the majority wants, provided it is all within the TOS of City-Data.

It looks like I may have misunderstood the wants of the majority.

If it does turn out that is the case, I will make corrections as needed.

While I do welcome all suggestions, please remember it is a violation of TOS to discuss a Mod's actions on the open forums. Please use DMs for that.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:22 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
And here I thought it was just me! Good to know .....

Don't worry, Hyperion - he can just literally rewrite the punchline of your jokes when one of the more vocal members of the forum sends him a complaint. It doesn't matter if he offends you by it, as long as the original offendee is appeased. I guess some people have more of a right to be offended than others.

Tikva, I agree: deleting Hebrew words in a Judaism forum is just plain ridiculous. Even in English, you will have Hebrew words altered into completely different words. I would mention the purely consonantal word in question, but it would just be altered into G_d or something similarly incorrect.

This sub forum has a definite slant to the more orthodox and conservative branch of Judaism, which is a real shame. There are many forms of Judaism, and for this sub forum to be held in thrall by the more extreme branch of it is just deplorable.

Woodrow, is there some reason you favor a certain vocal minority over others? Does that bias not strike you as wrong in a moderator? Why does one group have the right to be offended more than another? You claim to be a moderator, but that is far from moderate.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:29 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
And here I thought it was just me! Good to know .....

Don't worry, Hyperion - he can just literally rewrite the punchline of your jokes when one of the more vocal members of the forum sends him a complaint. It doesn't matter if he offends you by it, as long as the original offendee is appeased. I guess some people have more of a right to be offended than others.

Tikva, I agree: deleting Hebrew words in a Judaism forum is just plain ridiculous. Even in English, you will have Hebrew words altered into completely different words. I would mention the purely consonantal word in question, but it would just be altered into G_d or something similarly incorrect.

This sub forum has a definite slant to the more orthodox and conservative branch of Judaism, which is a real shame. There are many forms of Judaism, and for this sub forum to be held in thrall by the more extreme branch of it is just deplorable.

Woodrow, is there some reason you favor a certain vocal minority over others? Does that bias not strike you as wrong in a moderator? Why does one group have the right to be offended more than another? You claim to be a moderator, but that is far from moderate.
You may not notice it. But this thread is staying up. I think you have at least a little leeway in expressing your opinion.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
This sub forum has a definite slant to the more orthodox and conservative branch of Judaism
No it doesn't. I am an Atheist and I post here all the time.

Sometimes my posts are well received by Jews and sometimes they are not. Either way is OK.

I believe that all of who post here should show a certain amount of respect for Judaism. Telling Jewish jokes is not appropriate.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,046,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
You may not notice it. But this thread is staying up. I think you have at least a little leeway in expressing your opinion.
You are correct about that, and I certainly appreciate that.

I am still curious as to why a vocal minority dictates policy in this sub-forum, as if they are the only Jews posting here whose opinion matters, and is theirs is the only Judaism. If this remains, it really should be renamed to Orthodox Judaism Thread.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
I am still curious as to why a vocal minority dictates policy in this sub-forum
It is because you let them.

In the Christianity forum, there are some Fundamentalists who post but the more liberal Christians do not let them dominate the forum.

I don't know why the two forums are so different. Maybe it is because Reform Jews have more respect for Orthodox Jews than Liberal Christians have for Fundamentalist Christians. I'm just guessing.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:47 AM

864 posts, read 871,429 times
Quote:
If this remains, it really should be renamed to Orthodox Judaism Thread.
It doesn't need to be renamed. There's only one Judaism. I'm curious how you get three. Did G-d give us three Torahs at Mt. Sinai, or did he give us one Torah with blurry instructions telling us to figure it out ourselves and we figured out three different ways to interpret the same Torah?

How did you get three? Maybe there are ten, or twenty, or two? Perhaps none, and we're all deluded into calling ourselves Jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism