Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 03:19 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Micah.

I had toyed with the idea of making it my legal name, but then I'd have to explain how to pronounce it to every non-Jew I met (and wince as they failed miserably).
I like it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 04:43 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Yerachmiel
Yechezkiel
Elchanon
Pinchas

Great names! The Yechezkiels that I most often encounter generally go by the short form of "Chezky."

Old 04-13-2019, 07:47 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
I have a friend name Silky, but I forget what that abbreviation is from.

I love Asher, Azriel, Pinchas, Moshe, Menachem, Hadassah, Tovah, and most of all, the name we call G-d.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I have a friend name Silky, but I forget what that abbreviation is from.

I love Asher, Azriel, Pinchas, Moshe, Menachem, Hadassah, Tovah, and most of all, the name we call G-d.

Silky/Silke/Silka is an interesting Yiddish name from Europe! Although, it's rare and I've yet to encounter anyone in Crown Heights, NY with that name. According to Alexander Beider in his Handbook of Ashkenazic Given Names and Their Variants, the name evolved this way: From Shulamis to Shule to Shulke to Sulke to Silke. (Shulamis, as you may recall, is from the Biblical book Song of Songs.)

Old 04-18-2019, 04:47 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I never really cared for Yiddish names too much always preferred Hebrew pronunciation.
I have always loved
David
Reuven
Gabriel
Raphael
And lately have a new strong like for Solomon.

Girls names
Sarah
Rebecca (but not Rivka. sorry)
And lately, am liking Miriam.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I never really cared for Yiddish names too much always preferred Hebrew pronunciation.
I have always loved
David
Reuven
Gabriel
Raphael
And lately have a new strong like for Solomon.

Girls names
Sarah
Rebecca (but not Rivka. sorry)
And lately, am liking Miriam.

Those are all great names on your list, Mayvenne! I like your screen name, too. Is that a variation of the Yiddish word maven, meaning "a knowledgeable person; a good judge of quality"?

Old 04-20-2019, 12:32 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Those are all great names on your list, Mayvenne! I like your screen name, too. Is that a variation of the Yiddish word maven, meaning "a knowledgeable person; a good judge of quality"?
Good catch Rachel- yes, my screen name was an attempt at humor. I think the usual spelling maven was taken so I came up with this which I think actually seems like a good ol southern name!
I always thought the word maven had a small tinge of humor or sarcasm to it? Maybe just how my parent used it. Usually meaning expert. but you are right knowledgeable and judge of quality.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Good catch Rachel- yes, my screen name was an attempt at humor. I think the usual spelling maven was taken so I came up with this which I think actually seems like a good ol southern name!
I always thought the word maven had a small tinge of humor or sarcasm to it? Maybe just how my parent used it. Usually meaning expert. but you are right knowledgeable and judge of quality.

Haha! I like that name! Would it be even MORE good ol' Southern if it was Mayvenabelle?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:06 AM

151 posts, read 88,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
"It's about Lazar Wolf, the butcher. A good man. A fine man. And I don't have to tell you he's well off, no?"

Rosends, that cartoon is almost as weird as hearing that Harvey Fierstein was cast for the role Tevye on Broadway. (Which I went to see, and Harvey was really good!)
I had to smile at this quote; watched the movie during Pasach!

Old 05-07-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
I had to smile at this quote; watched the movie during Pasach!

Fiddler is a great movie! One of my own favorites is Prince of Egypt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqEgvgEx08
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism