Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM

396 posts, read 999,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Hmm.. Didn't know they had Nobama bumper stickers now too.

I think there have been negative bumber stickers for every president since the invention of cars. I suppose if there wasn't one for Obama he wouldn't be doing his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:23 PM

453 posts, read 457,607 times
There are negative bumper stickers about all President, but especially Barack Obama? Why? Because there's still a good majority of closet racist people in America who still don't like the idea of us having a black man in the White House. In fact, I once worked with a woman from Joplin, Missouri, who feared white people would lose their rights if Obama was elected. Let me remind everyone that Rush Limbaugh is also from Missouri. From my experience, people from major cities and around major universities are generally more tolerant than those from rural area as they're more exposed to different walks of life and whatnot. That rule applies to every region of the country. Houston and Austin are more accepting of differences than anywhere else in Texas.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:44 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Do you really think it's a racial thing? I think it has more to do with people just not liking his agendas or people that voted for him thinking they were getting something different.

I don't know though. My thing is cities. I don't know much about politics.

Politics are like religion to me. Too many people are too one sided and don’t see things any other way than theirs. So I just avoid it.

I think so far, Obama is doing ok though. I voted for him .

Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM

396 posts, read 999,113 times
I'm sure there are some people who don't like him because of 1/2 his race. However, I think people tend to overdo the race thing. The people I know that disagree with him has absolutely nothing to do with that. For those like the person you said from Joplin, it just comes down to lack of info. The problem from both sides of the party line is that we speak way to much in absolutes. It's good to have a stance, but it's even more important to know why we have that stance. That goes for religion, politics etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 PM

For what it's worth, I'm actually half-Missourian. What really prompted my interest in Kansas City is the fact that it's where my mother is from. I have several relatives in that area, too. That's why I've been there about seven times that I recall. It seemed like a nice place every time, nonetheless. As far as politics are concerned, I've voted straight-ticket Democrat in the past three elections. I've voted for the Democratic Presidential and Gubernatorial candidates in the past five elections. The only Republicans I've selected are judges. Texas politics are way too conservative for my taste, and I'm ashamed of my own people. That's why I'm not afraid to admit I'm only half-Texan. George W. Bush has done nothing but ruin our credibility around the globe and leave an irrevocable imbrue on us. That's why I've turned my back on my home state.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
As far as bumper-sticker politics go, you'll generally see more Obama then NObama stickers around here. Solidly moderate, it's a good deal different than the Bible Belt though there is a little of that.
I lived in south Texas for a while and it's a bit different in KC.
I like it much better here even though I generally vote Republican (reluctantly) and staunchly believe voting against Obama makes one no more a racist than voting against Hillary makes one a male chauvinist or voting against Frankin makes one as being prejudiced against people who's membership of the planet earth is questionable.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Here's the only thing about Kansas City I can't figure out. Why is it called "Kansas City" when it isn't even in Kansas, first off? I know there's a Kansas City, Kansas, but that's all confusing and in the same metropolitan area. They should rename it "Bourgmont" or "Veniard" after the guys who settled it. Some people may object to that, but they'll get used to it, I think. After all, Istanbul was once Constantinople; Ho Chi Minh City was Saigon; and even Thailand and Myanmar used to be Burma and Siam. There was great controversy when Peking was renamed Beijing and when Bombay and Calcutta were renamed Mumbai and Kolkata, but now it's no big deal. Perhaps, they should do the same with Kansas City to avoid confusion. Kansas City, Missouri, could become Bourgmont while Kansas City, Kansas becomes Veniard.

Last edited by daugenstine; 07-14-2010 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
Here's the only thing about Kansas City I can't figure out. Why is it called "Kansas City" when it isn't even in Kansas, first off?
Well, I think I post this once a month or so

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
As far as the two Kansas Cities. It's quite simple. KCMO was a city, named after the Kansa Indian Tribe, nearly 2 decades before Kansas became a state. KCK is the more complicated story. That city is actually a collection of separate towns that were merged to form KCK. The main city (Wyandotte) merged with Armordale, Turner etc. They called it Kansas City because they wanted to capitalize on KCMO's success and recognition, but ended up only causing more confusion. They should have just called it Wyandotte or one of the other names. KCK has always been a blue collar, working class "suburb" of KCMO. The city is built on a totally different scale and style than KCMO. It's far less dense and more suburban in nature, even in their older urban areas. That city was once a thriving city/suburb though. Hopefully some day it can become that again. If KCMO can come back from the dead, KCK can too.
Basically, KCMO was an established city before Kansas was an established state.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:22 PM

That doesn't mean it can't be renamed. I'm cool with renaming them Armordale, Wyandotte, or Choteau if need be. Constantinople had its name for thousands of years before being renamed Istanbul after the Ottoman Empire fell. I'm sure there will be public outcry in the beginning, but after awhile it will be no big deal just like with Peking being renamed Beijing and three of India's four largest cities being renamed. Thus far, that's the only major thing I would change about Kansas City. I love the barbecue, boulevards, and the fountains to want to eliminate those.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:19 PM

476 posts, read 1,316,487 times
KCMO should be "Westport" and KCK should be "Wyandotte".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City