Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 11,358 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant to KC area. I have lived in Johnson County since 1997. Currently live in Southern OP and I'm kind of losing it. It is SO vanilla here. Tons of houses on a prairie - not enough big trees and hills. Hardly any diversity. Sure, it has been a safe place to live and the schools are fantastic...but, way too vanilla and 'Keepin' up with the Jones' for me.

For work I telecommute - do bank consulting work from home. My husband started working at Cerner in NKC last year and sees a lot of opportunity for growth there.

I see this as our shot to get out of Jo Co. I am particularly interested in Parkville.

Can anyone give me feedback on the area and schools? It could take a while to sell our home and find something up there. But, potentially could be builders willing to take our home on trade to move new inventory. I was looking at arial shots of Thousand Oaks this morning and just drooling at the rolling hills and TREES.

What neighborhoods might be family friendly for a household with a Cerner commute?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Anything in the Northland would be a quick commute to Cerner. But it sounds like the Parkville "area" would be a great place to start. Riss Lake, Thousand Oaks, The Bluffs, etc. Most of that area is served by the relatively new Park Hill South High School and the highly rated Park Hill District. That area has downtown parkville, english landing riverfront park, the new Tulleries shopping center. Platte County is widening 64th (Tom Watson Pky) to four lanes west of Route 9 and the county has also built many bike trails in that area.

Also in a few miles north you have the Tiffany Springs Athletic Complex and the Tiffany Springs Aquatics Center (some of the nicesest suburban parks in the metro). Of course there is Zona Rosa, Boardwalk, Tiffany Springs Market Center, Barrywoods etc for tons of shopping and entertainment including KC's Improv comedy club and a new for and screen theater.

If you like trees and hills, check out the Bluffs just west of Downtown Parkville and one of the few developments actually in Parkville and not in KCMO or un-incorporated Platte.

Also check out Old Briarcliff (169 and Briarcliff Parkway east of 169). It's an amazing area in a very hilly and forested area with amazing skyline views, would be very close to Cernter. Briarcliff Village shopping center is very nice. Old Briarcliff has homes in all price brackets, mostly 250-millions. If you are ok with new construction, you almost might look at Briarcliff West (west of 169). It's new construction but all custom housing in a very hilly area with tons of trees. Very expensive though.

Briarcliff
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...gle Maps<br />

Bluffs
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...07446&t=k&z=17

Last edited by kcmo; 07-22-2010 at 07:10 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Here are a couple more areas of the northland with beautiful topography, very nice neighborhoods, good schools and good locations that are less known because they don't associate with Liberty or Parkville. Just KC North. But VERY nice areas.

The Waukomis corridor (including Lake Waukomis) is a very wooded area nestled in the heart of the Northland with many upscale areas as well as established areas. You also have Lake homes too.

Waukomis, MO - Google Maps

I forget what it's called, but the area of northeast Gladstone and the portion of KCMO that touches Gladstone is also very nice and very wooded with good schools and new as well as more established areas to choose from.

Gladstone, MO - Google Maps

Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 AM

KCMO - Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and providing so much information. I am hoping my husband and I can get some time away from kiddos this weekend to go up there and explore a bit.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share this information!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:29 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,848 times
Love Old BriarCliff. It is my fave northland neighborhood, but I beleive KCMO is speaking of the area just south of 152 east of MapleWoods. There some newer neighborhoods that might fit the bill and some older neighborhoods with lots differientiation in housing types.

I think both of those areas and most of the established neighborhoods up north will give you some of the diversity you want as well. Housing prices up north vary so much that you naturally end up with socio-economic and other diversity.

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:44 AM

We spent some time on Saturday venturing in the northland. We drove through Thousand Oaks, Riss Lake, The Bluffs, Hills of Monticello and The National. We also spent some time in downtown Parkville. Very exciting to see some of the new retail/restaurants downtown up there!

We're considering putting our house on the market. Before I do so, I want to visit some of the schools up there and do some more homework on comparable sales in our current area. We have a lot of equity on paper on our home...but not sure we can sell our home for what we paid for it and then there are commissions, moving costs, closing costs. Uck.

We may put our house on fsbo site and keep sign out of yard for now (and indicate that on site) not to freak our kids out and just 'fish' a little bit for now.

I will check out the old Briarcliff area and also Liberty area.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 PM

448 posts, read 1,458,848 times
Thanks for the report. Good luck in your search!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,193 times
Do you have an update, MeikoMom?

Old 09-28-2012, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Here are a couple more areas of the northland with beautiful topography, very nice neighborhoods, good schools and good locations that are less known because they don't associate with Liberty or Parkville. Just KC North. But VERY nice areas.

The Waukomis corridor (including Lake Waukomis) is a very wooded area nestled in the heart of the Northland with many upscale areas as well as established areas. You also have Lake homes too.

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=parkville,+mo&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Parkv ille,+Platte,+Missouri&gl=us&ei=vD1ITJfCE4T68AawjM 3cDg&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA&safe=on&ll=39.235411,-94.635329&spn=0.019545,0.029783&t=k&z=15]Waukomis, MO - Google Maps[/url]

I forget what it's called, but the area of northeast Gladstone and the portion of KCMO that touches Gladstone is also very nice and very wooded with good schools and new as well as more established areas to choose from.

[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=parkville,+mo&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Parkv ille,+Platte,+Missouri&gl=us&ei=vD1ITJfCE4T68AawjM 3cDg&ved=0CAgQ8gEwAA&safe=on&ll=39.233882,-94.556537&spn=0.019546,0.029783&t=k&z=15]Gladstone, MO - Google Maps[/url]
Maple Woods and Maple Park Place are located directly behind Maple Woods College. There are hills and trees. The communities are very family friendly. The homes are an amazing value due to the economy.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,980 times
Maple Woods and Maple Park Place are located directly behind Maple Woods College. The hills and trees are beautiful. The neighborhoods are very family friendly. Right now the homes are an amazing value due to the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City