Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,805,627 times

Advertisements

Coming soon..

Bike Share KC

They'll be doing a demo at the next First Fridays in May in Xroads. Word is the first station will be located in Xroads at 20th/Baltimore near the MAX stop. Hopefully all major MAX stops will get this and elsewhere in City.

More info from the Denver site..
http://www.denverbikesharing.org/membership.ph (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 01:40 PM

More on Denver's.. they have several dozen stations downtown. Each station has Net access as you can click on each station and tell how many bikes are available and how many slots are open. I wonder what happens if you want to return a bike and all slots are full from bikes that came from other stations?

Denver Bikes | Denver Bike Sharing Program | B-Cycle | bcycle.com

Very exciting this is coming to KC. I'll be using it often.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:53 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Very cool. This is popular in DC. I would love to see this in every city.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,463,667 times
i think putting one on the plaza, around the grounds of liberty memorial and around union station would be good too. Tourists like those kind of things

Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 PM

It sounds like anyone can sponsor adding a station. It's up to biz/property owners to sponsor one. Hopefully the City will step up and sponsor a few sites.

I highly doubt Highwoods will for the Plaza - they want total control and will not want anyone to bike out of Plaza. The City could though at the Plaza tennis courts next to the Plaza MAX stop or maybe in Mill Creek Park. Hopefully City Market management will sponsor one too. I'd think Crown Center eventually would once they see it in action. Would be good for Hospital Hill to add one, so that bus riders to CC can get up that hill more quickly/easily. I could see Westport Association sponsoring a few.

The City may as well sponsor most MAX stops and other major bus stops.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:19 PM

I checked out a demo at First Fridays this weekend. A few are planned for downtown initially. They hope to get the City and ATA on board to fund placing a few near MAX bus stops. Expansion will likely need to come from sponsors. If you work in the city and take bus, might promote this to your place of work to sponsor a station.

There is a smartphone app that shows all stations, how many available, how many slots open. Pretty slick. I'll be getting an annual membership once they can get enough stations going.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM

414 posts, read 884,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
If you work in the city and take bus, might promote this to your place of work to sponsor a station.
Will definitely do this as my company already subsidizes monthly bus passes. Fifteen dollars a month is a steal.

Is there an official one-sheet out there for this that I could present to HR?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 PM

Found this.. hmm.. kinda pricey to sponsor.

http://www.denverbikesharing.org/sponsorship.php

Old 05-09-2011, 02:13 PM

414 posts, read 884,387 times
^^The cost seems fair

Given that you get your branding out there on the station, 10 bicycles and in the newsletter, ~1600/mo doesn't seem like a bad deal especially if you then turn around and pump to your employees, potential employees and customers about how awesome your company is for doing this.

Also, as you see ridership increase, your overall employee health should improve, lowering your health care costs.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 AM

I could see larger companies sponsoring but I was hoping smaller companies would get involved, which could be more of a challenge. Hope that several bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City