Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 04:59 PM

196 posts, read 395,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I can't argue with Cass County seeming to be the most redneck area, but a lot of our outter counties are like that - Leavenworth, Clinton, and northern Platte I know from life-long personal experience. I'm sure the other outter counties are similar.
You might want to add Sugar Creek to the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
I would agree with the OP that the KCMO Metro area, Westport, The Plaza, Parkville, most of the Northlands, and Lee's Summit do not feel redneck, especially compared to cities here in the South.
What? Y'don't say? But...but...but... portions of Lee's Summit lie in CASS COUNTY, which I have on good authority, at least one page back or so, is TOTALLY REDNECK!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 12,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Techwired is pretty spot on. Olathe is also still stuck in 1985 as far as how they develop. I mean enough with the big box strip malls and 1980's sprawl. For 120,000 people the place offers almost nothing that it didn't offer 20 years ago and they don't even attempt to do mixed use etc like most large suburbs of big cities do now. No matter how much they dress up their freeway overpasses, the suburb can't shake what it really is.

KCK? LOL. KCK is the oddest place anywhere. You can't even describe KCK because it's its own animal and there is no other city that I have seen that is such a mix of everything but what you might expect. It's a mix of the south, midwest, urban, suburban, industrial, countrified folk, ignorant ghetto folk, white trash, redneck and Hispanics with a touch of lower to middle class whites. It acts like a city that should be by itself in a rural southern state or maybe the rural parts of PA, MD or of course MO or KS, yet it's in the shadow of KCMO's skyline. There is certainly no gentrification going on there and with such location so close to KCMO etc, I find that a bit odd.

The place is just weird.

Take out the not so great parts of Kansas and you are just not left with much. Lawrence, Manhattan, Overland Park and parts of NE JoCo. You would think Kansas would do something with KCK other than all that ugly sprawl way out west that has nothing but bizarre KCK development between it and downtown KCMO.

KCK = yehaww.

Cass County is just pure country/redneck (not the KCK weirdness) and places like Olathe, Blue Springs and Liberty or just ultra conservative Ford F150 loving blue collar suburbs straight out of 1980.
KCK is just as Midwestern as KCMO. There's nothing Southern about it. As for Cass County, it may have prehistoric Civil War ties to the South, but other than that, it's part of the Midwest as well. KC and its metro are Midwestern. No ifs, and, or buts about it.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:29 PM

455 posts, read 771,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

I can't argue with Cass County seeming to be the most redneck area, but a lot of our outter counties are like that - Leavenworth, Clinton, and northern Platte I know from life-long personal experience. I'm sure the other outter counties are similar.

I hear what you're saying, however Cass County MO acts a lot more like a county that's located in the South or the Southern Plains of OK, or N. Texas than Platte County. Over two-thirds of Cass County identifies themselves as Evangelical Protestant with the overwhelming majority are Southern Baptist. Platte county is wealthier, has slightly less poverty, multiple million dollar homes around Riss Lake in Parkville, and over 30% of the county's population is Catholic, while the Evangelical Population and Southern Baptist Adherents make up only 16% of the county. When you dive a little deeper into the larger cities in Cass County, they definitely resemble the south while Platte County feels much more Midwestern with the few exceptions you've already noted.

Cities in the United States that are most similar to Belton MO and Raymore MO by overall percentage.

Criteria: College Grads, Family Income, Property Crime, Violent Crime, Religious Preferences, Property Value, Commute Times, Demographics, Divorce rates, Kids 0-4 years of age. 2000-2010.

Southaven, Mississippi, 91.2%
Crowley, Texas, 90.0%
Fairview, Tennessee, 88.2%
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky, 87.7%
Coweta, Oklahoma, 87.2%
Mustang, Oklahoma, 86.9%
Bryant, Arkansas , 86.9%
Brandon, Mississippi, 86.5%

All of these cities and towns are located in the South or Southern Plain States.

Religion Cass County / Platte County

The Association of Religion Data Archives | Maps & Reports

Last edited by Alpha_Dog; 06-08-2013 at 07:48 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 PM

455 posts, read 771,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What? Y'don't say? But...but...but... portions of Lee's Summit lie in CASS COUNTY, which I have on good authority, at least one page back or so, is TOTALLY REDNECK!!!
Hey now TabulaRasa...you gotta give me a break, I'm new here.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:52 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying, however Cass County MO acts a lot more like a county that's located in the South or the Southern Plains of OK, or N. Texas than Platte County. Over two-thirds of Cass County identifies themselves as Evangelical Protestant with the overwhelming majority are Southern Baptist. Platte county is wealthier, has slightly less poverty, multiple million dollar homes around Riss Lake in Parkville, and over 30% of the county's population is Catholic, while the Evangelical Population and Southern Baptist Adherents make up only 16% of the county. When you dive a little deeper into the larger cities in Cass County, they definitely resemble the south while Platte County feels much more Midwestern with the few exceptions you've already noted.

Cities in the United States that are most similar to Belton MO and Raymore MO by overall percentage.

Criteria: College Grads, Family Income, Property Crime, Violent Crime, Religious Preferences, Property Value, Commute Times, Demographics, Divorce rates, Kids 0-4 years of age. 2000-2010.

Crowley, Texas, 90.0%
Coweta, Oklahoma, 87.2%
Mustang, Oklahoma, 86.9%
Bryant, Arkansas , 86.9%

All of these cities and towns are located in the South or Southern Plain States.

Interesting. Where did you get the data showing how similar other places are to Belton/Raymore?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 PM

3 posts, read 8,532 times
Default K.C. rated #2 town for being redneck

KOOL dude, whose #1

Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM

13 posts, read 12,574 times
Quote:

Crowley, Texas, 90.0%
Coweta, Oklahoma, 87.2%
Mustang, Oklahoma, 86.9%
Bryant, Arkansas , 86.9%

That doesn't mean these areas are southern. Culturally, linguistically, and in every other respect besides religion demographically, Cass County is not Southern.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 PM

I love KCK. My SO taught in Catholic schools there for many years, and loved it, loved the people.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:26 PM

I was just in Lee's Summit this evening for their local summer kickoff festival, Downtown Days...I'm no longer a LS resident, but am continually impressed by the care and attention they've put into restoring their 1860s downtown, maintaining viable businesses, and how committed they are to retaining a small-town feeling community spirit by hosting lots of civic events for the whole community. They've really done a great job. It feels "Anywhere Main Street USA," and doesn't feel generic-scrubbed-suburban-cookie-cutter (until you get out into the sprawly new developments, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City