Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 04:42 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Really? Do people look at you like you are nuts? Nobody outside of KC would have any idea what in the world you are talking about if you said "Wyandotte" to them. I would say under 5% of the country outside of about 200 miles of KC even understand that the urban core and primary part of the city is in Missouri.

Most people I meet don’t expect me to give them a dissertation complete with demographic information and migration trends when they ask me where are you from. I am well-traveled around the US. I used to visit well over 200 cities every year by personal car and the most common question I got is “are you from around here?” as I have become quite a chameleon from traveling so much.

When I say Kansas City, Wyandotte County, it’s up to them to find out the difference. The same way in California people will say to me, San Bernardino, Riverside or Humboldt County and leave it up to me to find out the difference. Once in upstate New York I said Kansas City and the person said “I‘ve never been in the south.” Not “south but “the south”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Most people I meet don’t expect me to give them a dissertation complete with demographic information and migration trends when they ask me where are you from. I am well-traveled around the US. I used to visit well over 200 cities every year by personal car and the most common question I got is “are you from around here?” as I have become quite a chameleon from traveling so much.

When I say Kansas City, Wyandotte County, it’s up to them to find out the difference. The same way in California people will say to me, San Bernardino, Riverside or Humboldt County and leave it up to me to find out the difference. Once in upstate New York I said Kansas City and the person said “I‘ve never been in the south.” Not “south but “the south”
How was I implying that you would "give them a dissertation complete with demographic information and migration trends". I was just saying that nobody outside of KC would have a clue what counties are in the KC area unless you were talking to a KC expat. I just figured you would say Kansas City, Kansas. That's what most people I know from KCK do.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:18 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,165,944 times
Quote:
^ 90% of the people you see walking around DC wearing college crap are tourists from KS, MO, IA, NE, etc. They outnumber the locals you see wearing Pitt, georgetown, Maryland etc by a HUGE margin. There is a difference in different parts of the country.

That's not my point though. My point is you travel to an away Royals game as a KC Royals fan and you are decked out in KU or Kstate crap, (or MU crap). See it all the time.

And maybe it's people I interact with, but people from KCMO do know more about the city and than most JoCo people. JoCo people can find their way to a few KCMO attractions like the plaza, startlight etc, but they are generally not all that knowledgeable about the city.
That’s called “confirmation bias”.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
How was I implying that you would "give them a dissertation complete with demographic information and migration trends". I was just saying that nobody outside of KC would have a clue what counties are in the KC area unless you were talking to a KC expat. I just figured you would say Kansas City, Kansas. That's what most people I know from KCK do.
It's a subtle attempt to communicate to someone that although I am from an urban city, I grew up outside the city limits. I think people in rural America understand the code.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:14 PM

14,180 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It's a subtle attempt to communicate to someone that although I am from an urban city, I grew up outside the city limits. I think people in rural America understand the code.
I don't know how old you are, or whether you live there now, but the KCK city limits were obliterated about a decade or so ago with the creation of the Unified Government.

So you may as well just say "Kansas City, Kansas," now.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I don't know how old you are, or whether you live there now, but the KCK city limits were obliterated about a decade or so ago with the creation of the Unified Government.

So you may as well just say "Kansas City, Kansas," now.
I remember when that happened. I've still got around a hundred relatives in the area on both sides of the river. Some of my relatives have worked in county and city government for a long time. They didn't like it but due to the population shift it had to happen.

I'm 60 and when I go to family events there are as many people older than me as there is younger than. They are old school and will forever hold on to Old Quindaro as their real home town.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:21 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Sometimes I think KCMO should change its name just to avoid the constant confusion. Before I moved here I had no idea how many people were unaware that Kansas City (the main one) is in Missouri rather than Kansas. I thought it was common knowledge. My first inkling came when a co-worker in my last job in the Seattle area mentioned to someone that I was moving to Kansas, which I had to correct him about. Since I have moved here, I can't believe how many times I've had to tell one person or another that I live in Missouri, not Kansas. Even in this very forum I recently had to tell someone here that Kansas City is in Missouri, not Kansas.
I just had ANOTHER instance of somebody thinking I live in Kansas (on another forum).

The really pathetic thing this time is, my "location" on this other forum clearly says, Kansas City, MISSOURI, just like I have here, and this person STILL accused me of living in Kansas!

Old 07-31-2018, 07:23 AM

So this was on Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/...t_in_comments/

This too:

https://imgur.com/r/kansascity/fqyZnE4

They changed it.

https://imgur.com/r/kansascity/fqyZnE4

Old 07-31-2018, 08:04 AM

654 posts, read 631,347 times
Wow, that's the best picture of Kansas City Kansas they could muster? Also, that is STILL Missouri in the background. What about a picture of downtown KCK, or is that unimpressive enough that it is embarrassing? Maybe a picture of Kansas Speedway? Or is that too redneck?

Old 07-31-2018, 09:31 AM

^ It's really amazing how there are almost no high quality pics of KCK anywhere. Even in the KCK promotional materials I have seen, the selection and quality of photos tend to be very poor and most tend to be the speedway area. I get that it's not a very photogenic city, but you can make any city look good in a photo if you wanted to or wanted to pay for it. Interestingly enough, I have thousands of photos of KCMO and probably a handful of photos of KCK and I have never tried to get high quality pics of KCK (scouting locations, waiting for perfect lighting etc). I may just have to do that next time I'm in KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City