Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 05:31 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Unfortunately, KC had to live with these mistakes, and in a weird case of Stockholm Syndrome, many KC residents came to embrace these mistakes as actual good features that they were loath to give up when presented with a much superior option.

I equate this to the people who don't want to give up tailgating prior to the Royals game. The only reason anyone would tailgate before a baseball game is due to the lack of options around the stadium for entertainment. Who wants to set up a tailgate for 30 minutes prior to a weeknight game in a broiling hot blacktop parking lot? Then to think that is superior to grabbing a beer at an air conditioned bar within walking distance to the game!
I +1'd you on this, but just to play devil's advocate on the tailgating:

Tailgate parties are informally organized by friends who probably don't consider what they spent on the food and drinks they bring to the game "spending money on the game", while they might put buying beer and food in a nearby restaurant and bar in that category.

If I really wanted to be snarky, I'd say the trouble with your argument is that you used the word "think" to describe the tailgate diehards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 02:22 AM

374 posts, read 257,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I +1'd you on this, but just to play devil's advocate on the tailgating:

Tailgate parties are informally organized by friends who probably don't consider what they spent on the food and drinks they bring to the game "spending money on the game", while they might put buying beer and food in a nearby restaurant and bar in that category.

If I really wanted to be snarky, I'd say the trouble with your argument is that you used the word "think" to describe the tailgate diehards.

Those who tailgate are doing themselves an economic service. The food/drink at the game or nearby establishments are going to be laced with steam from the prices lol.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:23 PM

264 posts, read 250,002 times
Just had my first experience at the new MCI! Impressed at the new design, it finally feels like an airport worthy of KC. The only inconvenience I had was the arrivals getting picked up, but it is a sacrifice definitely worth making. They just need to enforce the no parking at the curb until your party is actually there to be picked up rule better. That's what cell phone lots are for.

Old 05-26-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietInKC View Post
Just had my first experience at the new MCI! Impressed at the new design, it finally feels like an airport worthy of KC. The only inconvenience I had was the arrivals getting picked up, but it is a sacrifice definitely worth making. They just need to enforce the no parking at the curb until your party is actually there to be picked up rule better. That's what cell phone lots are for.

I find some places are better at enforcement than others. I did notice that MCO seems to be pretty good with that.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:01 AM

165 posts, read 143,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrampage View Post
I find some places are better at enforcement than others. I did notice that MCO seems to be pretty good with that.
This seems to have become mainly a late night problem (like after midnight) when the last few flights come in and the airport gets temporarily very busy. From what I understand, there has been minimal enforcement past midnight and people sit in the arrival lane indefinitely. The easy solution is to keep the traffic police around until all flights have arrived. It would help if they made a larger cell phone lot a little closer to the terminal.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
This seems to have become mainly a late night problem (like after midnight) when the last few flights come in and the airport gets temporarily very busy. From what I understand, there has been minimal enforcement past midnight and people sit in the arrival lane indefinitely. The easy solution is to keep the traffic police around until all flights have arrived. It would help if they made a larger cell phone lot a little closer to the terminal.

You're right. I am guessing the cut off for the late flights was made due to budget restrictions. Maybe that is considered an extra "cost" of flying in so late.

Old 06-16-2023, 01:13 PM

654 posts, read 630,371 times
[quote][Those who tailgate are doing themselves an economic service. The food/drink at the game or nearby establishments are going to be laced with steam from the prices lol.[quote]

I do agree, but to list tailgating as a major reason to oppose a downtown baseball stadium is short sighted at best. To me tailgating is a pastime to do before football games, where you are making a day of it, rather than a baseball game that you are attending on a weeknight, where you may have to rush to even get to the game by first pitch, especially as they keep moving the start times earlier and earlier (6:40 for April and May this year!) If you get off work at 5, that is barely enough time to get home from work and to the game on time.

Old 06-17-2023, 09:30 PM

14,155 posts, read 9,047,788 times
So I've now flown into the new KCI, and I'm mighty impressed!

Separating arriving from departing traffic, and having enough space in the central terminal building to handle both, makes a huge difference in the experience.

But everything about the new airport feels bigger, roomier and more welcoming.

Finally, KC has the airport it deserves.

Old 06-18-2023, 01:08 PM

165 posts, read 143,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
So I've now flown into the new KCI, and I'm mighty impressed!

Separating arriving from departing traffic, and having enough space in the central terminal building to handle both, makes a huge difference in the experience.

But everything about the new airport feels bigger, roomier and more welcoming.

Finally, KC has the airport it deserves.
Good post! It's wonderful to depart and return to KC via a real functioning airport now. All but the most stubborn have accepted the huge improvement in the logistics of travel and image of KC that the new KCI represents.

Old 07-27-2023, 10:52 AM

654 posts, read 630,371 times
It's just nice to have a real airport here rather than a giant bus depot that is being used as an airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City