Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 04:28 PM

165 posts, read 142,933 times

Advertisements

I fly a lot and I'm kind of excited about the new terminal. I have been pretty critical of the current terminals since early 2000's. The design is just too antiquated and ultimately hurts the city directly as well as the perception of the city. Looking forward to the experience.

I understand the opening date has been moved from March to late February (not mentioned in the referenced article).

https://www.kcur.org/news/2023-01-02...-flyers-expect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2023, 05:59 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Thanks for this. I was wondering about the parking situation. I, for one, won’t be shelling out $20+ to park in the garage, no matter how convenient it will be. And if the Blue Bus problems continue (long waits, packed busses, etc) I won’t be parking in the Satellite lot either.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Thanks for this. I was wondering about the parking situation. I, for one, won’t be shelling out $20+ to park in the garage, no matter how convenient it will be. And if the Blue Bus problems continue (long waits, packed busses, etc) I won’t be parking in the Satellite lot either.
I believe the cost in the current garages are already over $20 per day although you can park in the circle parking for about $15.00 if you do not mind the walk. So the new airport will not be any more of a burden in terms of parking cost. The bus issues are a result of labor shortages caused by requiring a commercial driver's license and KC's residency rule for employment combined with low pay. Again, most of these issues are probably common to all airport operations but KC's residency requirement does exacerbate the problem. But nothing endemic to the new terminal.

Old 01-06-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Retiree View Post
I believe the cost in the current garages are already over $20 per day although you can park in the circle parking for about $15.00 if you do not mind the walk. So the new airport will not be any more of a burden in terms of parking cost. The bus issues are a result of labor shortages caused by requiring a commercial driver's license and KC's residency rule for employment combined with low pay. Again, most of these issues are probably common to all airport operations but KC's residency requirement does exacerbate the problem. But nothing endemic to the new terminal.
I think the terminal garages are $24/day. Too pricey for me. There’s a new private lot, Park ‘n Go, on the NE corner of Cookingham and Ambassador that is $5.50/day if you reserve online. And another lot “coming soon” in that general area. I don’t remember that name.

I thought KCMO got rid of the employee residency requirement but I see that’s only for the police department.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:55 PM

Officially opens February 28!

Old 02-02-2023, 09:57 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Re: parking, depending on where you live, an Uber/Lyft to the airport is generally less than $35 so if you are gone more than a week, it is just cheaper to do it that way, and you get to keep your car safe in your driveway/garage.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:49 AM

I’ve been reading a lot about all the restaurants/food choices. I agree that the post-security food choices at present were sadly lacking, but does anyone else think they may be going a bit overboard the other way? After all, unless you’ve got a boarding pass, nobody’s going to eat there. Mr. Dokie and I will not be putting any of these spots on our Friday night rotation.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think in 12-18 months there may be a lot of shuttered spots.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I’ve been reading a lot about all the restaurants/food choices. I agree that the post-security food choices at present were sadly lacking, but does anyone else think they may be going a bit overboard the other way? After all, unless you’ve got a boarding pass, nobody’s going to eat there. Mr. Dokie and I will not be putting any of these spots on our Friday night rotation.

I hope I’m wrong, but I think in 12-18 months there may be a lot of shuttered spots.
Could be but I suspect airlines will start booking more connecting flights through KC now that the airport is conducive to that. That is the trend as airlines are getting away from moving traffic strictly through their hubs. There were several times I've flown through KCI (as a non resident) and would have preferred to get through security and eat at the airport than take the hassle of making an extra stop but didn't because the lack of choice.

The new airport wasn't just about restaurants, it was to provide users with the basic amenities, conveniences and efficiencies of other airports around the US for which KCI was sadly lacking.

Old 02-15-2023, 02:06 PM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Yes, many of the short sighted local residents that were against this new terminal were saying similar things like..."I don't go to the airport for dinner or to shop". The thing is that the restaurants and stores are not for people originating or ending their trip in KC but for people laying over in KC, catching another flight to their ultimate destination. Of course the old KC airport was so bad at being a layover stop, with virtually no restaurants or stores, along with the need to clear security again that hardly any airlines had any layovers at KC, which cut the number of flights to the airport overall.

Now that a flight can layover here because this is now a "normal" airport, not some crazy mad scientist design that only benefits people either starting or ending their trip here, KC could see a number of new flights open up. Additionally, people who do have a layover here will not have a horror story to tell about how much of a dead zone the KC airport is and how much of a hassle it is to have to go through security again during a layover.

Old 02-20-2023, 10:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Check out the new terminal virtual tour. It's quite impressive.

https://youtu.be/kYEJxxXqnmM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City