Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 PM

19 posts, read 70,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC winters are quite mild these days with only a smattering of winter weather "events." I would go with the Fusion because you won't get your $$$ worth on the Subaru due to the relative lack of snow. I have a Subaru PZEV 5 door hatchback that is invaluable for our tougher snowy winters in NH. The Subaru works wonders on snowpacked hilly roads, muddy roads, and dirt roads. I live in the country so having a reliable vehicle that can handle severe winter conditions is a must. Don't get stressed about KC winters. Invest in a a good winter coat, hat, gloves, and you should be just fine.
not to seem rude or confrontational, but being new and all i'm just curious why someone who lives in the furthest most eastern part of the United States is weighing in on Kansas City stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 09:52 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm207 View Post
not to seem rude or confrontational, but being new and all i'm just curious why someone who lives in the furthest most eastern part of the United States is weighing in on Kansas City stuff.
I lived in the KC area for over 20 years. Trust me, winters in the Lower Midwest are fairly mild compared with areas further off to the north and east.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 6,839 times
Thank you all for the replies. It is really helpful that all of you agree on FWD for KC urban driving even when snow/ice. I may need to drive to work at odd times and probably any time during the day or night when called like emergency workers. Does it change your recommendations? Thanks again to all of you who have replied.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:13 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_to_KC View Post
Thank you all for the replies. It is really helpful that all of you agree on FWD for KC urban driving even when snow/ice. I may need to drive to work at odd times and probably any time during the day or night when called like emergency workers. Does it change your recommendations? Thanks again to all of you who have replied.
KC has certain roads that are designated as "emergency snow routes". Many of these are "in town" and they do get cleared/salted first. If you are living/working close in as in truly "urban" you likely have little to worry about with FWD only. If you live/work out in the suburbs you may have to wait longer for streets to be cleared and at odd hours of emergency personel you may be on the roads before or while the streets are being cleared. 4WD isn't going to help you on the ice anyway.

Just don't blame us if you buy a SUV and it doesn't snow! Last winter we had more snow than in many years. It is Dec. 2nd and we haven't even had our first snow of the season. Go figure!

I wouldn't be without 4WD but that is just me. I actually do use it of road from time to time throughout the year. YMMV.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,863,657 times
I'd take the Subaru. They're fantastic in any weather situation, including rain, which we do see a lot of from time to time. After owning a Subaru, I'm determined to always have at least one in the driveway. Snow wouldn't be my biggest concern. When it does snow, the roads are cleared off fairly quickly with plows and salt.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,006 times
I have always driven cars and get around in the snow just fine. In fact, I usually pass trucks and SUVs in the snow in my Honda Accord.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Driving in big snow storms is rare in KC, maybe once or twice a season, but when a major snow occurs during the day, DO NOT leave early with the other million people that try to leave early "before rush hour". It will take you hours to get home. Simply leave at 5-6 or whatever time you normally leave and you will have no traffic and get home about 10 minutes after everybody else did that left at 2 or 3.

Clean all windows before you attempt to drive and brush off any snow that would otherwise blow off and land on the car behind you on the freeway.
To elaborate on these two points - if there is no reason to immediately get home after work (i.e., kids, etc.), consider going to a movie near your office after work on serious snow days. When you get out ~ 7:00 p.m., all the idiots will nearly be home and the snowplows will actually be doing some work. And clean off your headlights and tail lights as well as all glass.

Also, study your regular driving routes to work/school, etc. to determine if they are extremely hilly and look now (before it snows) for alternates. For years I worked at 31 and Broadway and it was always amazing to see so many people getting stuck on southbound Penn Valley Drive as it winds up the hill to 31st.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,295 times
Quote:
In this case, AWD would be helpful.

My last vehicle was a FWD compact Saturn and it served me reliably for many Missouri winters. When the snow was more than about an inch deep, I simply did not drive anywhere. The car did fine on ice when I drove it properly, and it also had a manual transmission which was great for starting out on icy slopes (by putting the car in 2nd or even 3rd gear to avoid spinning tires).

I now have a Subaru, and I love it. As northbound74 said, once you have one, you get hooked. I haven't had it over the winter yet, but the AWD is already very helpful in the rain, and in the muddy jobsites I've taken it to for my job. However, the AWD is absolutely not necessary...I lived without it for years, but a nice thing to have. My Saturn consistently got 5-10 mpg more than my Subaru, which was very nice.

If you think you may have to show up at work during at strange times when the roads aren't plowed, a AWD car would be very useful. If you just have a normal 9-5 job, I would go with the Fusion hybrid. The safest advice for snowy/icy roads it to simply avoid driving unless absolutely neccessary...even if you have excellent driving skills and an AWD vehicle, it won't stop some idiot from slamming into you anyway.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 AM

3 posts, read 6,839 times
Thanks again all of you. You know this is the only thing that bothers me currently while I am working on my relocation to KC.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM

19 posts, read 70,472 times
Quote:
Thanks again all of you. You know this is the only thing that bothers me currently while I am working on my relocation to KC.
bottom line: you don't NEED a 4x4, AWD or front wheel drive to live here. we don't have mountains. however, it would be recommended. there's no way to predict our winters. it could be mild this year with a few light dustings or we could have 2 feet of snowfall several times. as for the Subaru it may be practical, but they're hideous ugly cars that are manufactured in Japan. Ford Fusions are nicely designed and buying one keeps Americans working. Real tough choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City