Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:14 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,250,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If you have the proper winter gear it is not bad. With the heat island in Minneapolis it does not get quite as cold as the outstate areas. I only consider it to be truly cold when the temperature drops below -20F. Minneapolis only has a few days of that a year.
lol! I consider it cold when it gets below 70 The coldest our thermometer got in the past 5 years in Denver was -11. It's a drier cold in Denver and truly doesn't feel miserable until it's below about 15 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,868,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Can you imagine dealing with the heat and cold even a hundred years ago?
People have always had access to heat in the winter with fire. So I can't imagine it's been that bad. Air conditioning is relatively new. Were it not for it, the south would probably have a fraction of it's current population.
People can't seem to wait to move down there from cooler climates, but then they live in houses with a/c, go into their air conditioned garages, get into their air conditioned cars and drive to their air conditioned places of work. Being in the 'outdoors' consists of soaking themselves in a cool pool. I find it all very amusing. Oh, and they still complain about how hot it is all the time.

I work in a large building with large doors that stay open all the time when it's not cold outside. This 90+ degree stuff is crap, especially for 10 hours a day.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM

396 posts, read 1,000,127 times
Yes, fire has been around. But the kind of heat we have now is no comparison to that. We had a fire place in our house but it did not come close to heating the entire house. And it had blowers, thermostat etc. So it wasn't just for looks. My point is this, home insulation, transportation (horses, walking for most people) working conditions etc. life was completely different even if they had heat.

Of course, I guess when it comes to A/C, if you didn't know any different it wasn't as big of a deal. It was just life. Regardless, I'm spoiled and even though I love the outdoors, I probably wouldn't be near as active if I didn't have a nicely air-conditioned or heated home, car, workplace etc to come back to.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,916,987 times
But you see more bikes on the streets in Minneapolis (and here in DC) in the winter than you do in KC in the summer. People adapt. If you don't like the cold, then stay away, but it doesn't stop most people up there and summers in Minneapolis are amazingly nice.

What a great new downtown baseball park too. You can even take light rail there!

Plus St Paul is awesome. Few cities have TWO thriving urban centers within a metro and from what I can tell, Minneapolis and St Paul get along very well and respect each other. Something KC only could dream of.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,507,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But you see more bikes on the streets in Minneapolis (and here in DC) in the winter than you do in KC in the summer. People adapt. If you don't like the cold, then stay away, but it doesn't stop most people up there and summers in Minneapolis are amazingly nice.

What a great new downtown baseball park too. You can even take light rail there!

Plus St Paul is awesome. Few cities have TWO thriving urban centers within a metro and from what I can tell, Minneapolis and St Paul get along very well and respect each other. Something KC only could dream of.
Maybe all that bike riding relieves stress an results in fewer people who have incredibly large chips on their shoulders and obsessive amounts of disdain and resentment that they can't let go of ...

Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
But you see more bikes on the streets in Minneapolis (and here in DC) in the winter than you do in KC in the summer.
Funny you say that because it was the first thought I had when the whole bike thing came up. We visited Minneapolis in December when it was 10 outside and snowing. It was interesting to see all those people out walking and about riding their bikes in the snow. I love Minnesota.
Around here, you don't see bikes in temps lower than 65, or so it seems. It's all just a cultural thing. KC weather is all over the map and not many try to adapt to the moment. I'm that way with this heat. Rather not have to deal with it.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:15 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,507,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Around here, you don't see bikes in temps lower than 65, or so it seems. It's all just a cultural thing. KC weather is all over the map and not many try to adapt to the moment. I'm that way with this heat. Rather not have to deal with it.
It's also relatively inexpensive to own and park a car in KC. So people may be more willing to adapt because it's more expensive not to.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,968,251 times
Favorite thing about KC : the Parks & Boulevard system with beautiful trees, gardens and fountains

Least favorite thing: KCMO public school district has been a failure for 35+ years

Old 06-24-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
It's also relatively inexpensive to own and park a car in KC.

I don't think there's much difference between KC and the Twin Cities in that regard. It's just a cultural thing.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:59 PM

822 posts, read 2,048,963 times
If there were NO bicycles on the streets, it would suit me fine.

This morning I had to poke along at 10mph behind two spandex-clad JACKASSES riding side by side on a hilly, well-traveled county road. No attempt to get into single file, despite the fact that I'm 10 feet behind them and don't really want to risk some oncoming driver's life by trying to pass them on a hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City