Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:18 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,002,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
If there were NO bicycles on the streets, it would suit me fine.

This morning I had to poke along at 10mph behind two spandex-clad JACKASSES riding side by side on a hilly, well-traveled county road. No attempt to get into single file, despite the fact that I'm 10 feet behind them and don't really want to risk some oncoming driver's life by trying to pass them on a hill.

Cyclists have just as much right to the road as you do. The problem is that a lot of cyclist do not know the rules of the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Cyclists have just as much right to the road as you do. The problem is that a lot of cyclist do not know the rules of the road.
I don't disagree with that in theory.

But the reality is that a great many cyclists around here are a danger to themselves and others on the road.

Maybe this goes back to the cultural thing. KC has always been a pretty pedestrian-friendly city. By that I mean that car drivers tend to give pedestrians the right of way, even if they aren't on corners or crosswalks. Unlike Chicago or DC where most won't stop for you even at a flashing crosswalk when you're halfway across a lane.

So maybe people expect the same "right of way" on their bikes, and maybe many drivers are caught off guard. I don't know.

I did notice in Chicago that issues between cyclists and cars were more likely to be the car diver's fault. Around here, it seems to be the opposite. Maybe that will change over time if/as cycling becomes more popular here.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Then they should stay the hell off of it until they do.

I saw the same two ridiculous-looking, inconsiderate clowns this morning. This time they were side by side going the opposite direction, with a line of cars behind them.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Well, those people bug me just as much as they bug you. Roadies can be downright arrogant and rude, especially in rural/suburban roads where cars can't get around them.

But I’m talking about urban biking though. When you go to cities like Minneapolis, Chicago, Denver, Portland etc, there is an actual bicycle infrastructure with extensive dedicated bike lanes, trails, lockers, etc. Most transit buses will have bikes on the bike racks etc. Bikers are simply a part of the fabric of the city. It's no secret that KC is not exactly a bicycle friendly city.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:01 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Then they should stay the hell off of it until they do.

I saw the same two ridiculous-looking, inconsiderate clowns this morning. This time they were side by side going the opposite direction, with a line of cars behind them.
I just noticed this thread and this series of posts goes right to one of my pet peeves.

I couldn't agree with you more about cyclists and they are the same problem here as they are there. And inconsiderate is putting it politely. Many - I dare say most - of these "ridiculous looking" (and I agree with that) clowns have a big time attitude about controlling the road and ride with utter defiance of even the most fundamental rules of the road. I mean like stop signs and red lights.

They ride looking for trouble and should count their lucky stars that most motor vehicle drivers have a lot more courtesy, common sense, and maturity than they do. That they get away with what they do is just one more offshoot of political correctness that shields these idiots from the wrath they deserve.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:43 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,721 times
The Myth of the Scofflaw Cyclist

TheWashCycle: The Myth of the Scofflaw Cyclist

Fact is, there are far more reckless and bad drivers than reckless and bad cyclists, and bad drivers are FAR more dangerous than bad cyclists.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,758 times
Well that's great to know, but it only takes two jackasses to inconvenience dozens or more of people who are just trying to get to work.

These a-holes are simply using the roads for their look-at-me exercise rooms. What the hell? Can I set up a Bow-flex in the middle of a road and make everybody dodge me? What's the difference?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
well that's great to know, but it only takes two jackasses to inconvenience dozens or more of people who are just trying to get to work.

These a-holes are simply using the roads for their look-at-me exercise rooms. What the hell? Can i set up a bow-flex in the middle of a road and make everybody dodge me? What's the difference?
lol

Old 07-01-2010, 08:56 AM

476 posts, read 1,316,721 times
Quote:
Well that's great to know, but it only takes two jackasses to inconvenience dozens or more of people who are just trying to get to work.
Just like drivers. I'm not saying 100% of all cyclists are wonderful considerate people. But its silly to say that because one bicyclists you saw was rude once, all of them are. I've ridden quite a bit, and I can tell you the vast majority of cyclists are very considerate and obey all traffic signals. Its the drivers I've noticed who are far more idiotic and inconsiderate - and I've noticed that as both a rider and a cyclist. And while cyclists may put you through a mild inconvenience, drivers are KILLING people.

The roads are for cars and bikes. We really need separated bike paths, but until any of our cities get their act together and put some paint down, you're obligated to share the road, no matter how mad it gets you.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKC View Post
Just like drivers. I'm not saying 100% of all cyclists are wonderful considerate people. But its silly to say that because one bicyclists you saw was rude once, all of them are. I've ridden quite a bit, and I can tell you the vast majority of cyclists are very considerate and obey all traffic signals. Its the drivers I've noticed who are far more idiotic and inconsiderate - and I've noticed that as both a rider and a cyclist. And while cyclists may put you through a mild inconvenience, drivers are KILLING people.

The roads are for cars and bikes. We really need separated bike paths, but until any of our cities get their act together and put some paint down, you're obligated to share the road, no matter how mad it gets you.
What is silly is to post a link to an opinion piece on a clearly biased web page and assume that any experienced adult is going to take it seriously. Or that it establishes fact.

You know what establishes fact for me? 43 years experience as a licensed daily driver, including a couple hours a day as part of my current job. That's tens of thousands of hours in the thick of traffic observing motorist and cyclist behavior. I'd suggest you stop embarrassing yourself with talk of "one bicyclists you saw was rude once". You're talking to grownups here. We know what is going on today on the roads with cyclists.

I say again that they
Quote:
ride looking for trouble and should count their lucky stars that most motor vehicle drivers have a lot more courtesy, common sense, and maturity than they do. That they get away with what they do is just one more offshoot of political correctness that shields these idiots from the wrath they deserve.
I see this every day. Don't attempt to tell me or any other very seasoned driver "how it is".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City