Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 05:54 AM

126 posts, read 319,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionks View Post
Marion is a quaint little community with plenty of snowfall (no thanks to the effects of global warming). We are right in the middle of the beautiful Flint Hills of Kansas. We have an excellent school system. We have a population of only 2,110 people. We are in the process of expanding our school system to include a new sunken gymnasium, new auditorium and a new indoor competition sized swimming pool. We are 45 minutes west of Emporia, 45 minutes south of Junction City, 30 minutes east of Newton and 45 minutes north of El Dorado and 60 minutes north east of Wichita. We have the safety and security of a small town with larger amenities a short drive away. We have several housing incentives Bucks for Building - where we pay you to build a house in Marion; and neighborhood revitalization tax rebates on improvements. We also have a business development grant program available for new or existing businesses wanting to expand. Please check us out at www.cityofmarion.kansasgov.com. Thanks.
Thank you very much, I will check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
There's hardly any shopping in Ellsworth Kansas and there is a prison right in town.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 AM

126 posts, read 319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
There's hardly any shopping in Ellsworth Kansas and there is a prison right in town.
Wow, that's very useful info also. Good news if your in law enforcement, bad news if you have no interest in being around prisons and you like to shop. Thanks for the info.

Old 10-05-2006, 01:31 AM

3 posts, read 23,571 times
Question I want to live in rural Kansas

I would love to live in rural kansas Just dont know where to live. Im an engineering student,and I would like to come there and continue my education. If kansas is as good as they say it is I want to come there.

Where do I live, free from tornados, and are not prejudice( no pun here) I hear the people here are very loving and down home such as we are.

Atwood
Plainville
Lincoln
Wilson
Ellsworth
Holyrood
kanopolis
Marquette
Peabody
Eureka
Argonia
Chetopia
Parson
coffeyvillewashington
manikota
minnepolis

Please share?

Old 11-06-2006, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 65,750 times
I hate snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-2006, 07:19 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown View Post
I hate snow!!!!!!!!!!!!
Come to southern Arizona, you'll get all the sun/heat you could ever possibly want.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:17 PM

14 posts, read 130,116 times
This is just my honest opinion..
Southwest Kansas USED to be VERY nice.
I grew up in Dodge City.. I left in 1996 to study at the University of Arizona and moved to Phoenix when I graduated. I returned February 2006 for my mother's funeral and nearly VOMITED at the state of disarray the town was in. The town is over populated with illegal immigration.. not just dodge city but Garden City and Liberal also.. I am sure it doesn't end there!! I have no qualms with immigration (my mother's family are immigrants) but I have a SERIOUS problem with ILLEGAL immigration. Back to my point, the streets were broken, my dad's house and his neighbors were tagged with gang grafitti.. go to the dodgedailyglobe dot com website and you will read how the town's police are OVER WORKED and can't possibly keep up with the crimes.. the drive by shootings, the murders, the rapes.. everything!! It's a shame that the City of Dodge City has plummeted to the levels of LA, NYC and Phoenix... these people from big cities move in with their big city issues. Their children rape, beat, and shoot their way around. Most of the city's DECENT residents (this includes hispanic, african american, asian and caucasion) are moving out at an alarming rate. Keep in mind, Southwest Kansas is also VERY poor. People live on annual salaries of $18,000 or less. ... very few people make a GOOD living.
Snowfall, which I know is very important to you..
I know that USD 443 (dodge city school district) hasn't had Snow Days in 10 years.. the last major storm was in 1996/1997. Sure they get snow, a little bit of powder here and there. My dad has been in Dodge since 1978 and would tell you that those precipitations are incorrect (he is a meteorologist). Global Warming has ravaged SW Kansas..
With that being said... lol.. Kansas is truly a wonderful state to live in. The school systems are out of this world (one of the reasons I am moving back and hoping to go to Salina). When I graduated in 1996, most of my credits were University level. I entered the University of Arizona in Honors level programs. The KU medical community is OUTSTANDING.. however.. God forbid you have to face this, but the Oncologists are HORRIBLe.. they didn't understand small cell carcinoma cancer and didn't watch it spread throughout my mother's body. If I had known just month's earlier.. my mother would have won her battle with cancer because I would have "taught" the doctors what to do.
My daughter will be seeing Neurologists at KU and KC Children's Hospital (she was a victim of Shaken Baby syndrome.. which is something, I will have to educate the medical community on in Kansas).
However, make the decision that is right for you and your family. Snow is not hard to find.. sometimes it is just a 30 minute drive from where you live.
Best of luck to you!!
I am Salina or Wichita bound in 2007!! I hope to finish my degrees there in a much better, quieter community with bette services for my daughter than Phoenix has to offer!!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:47 PM

64 posts, read 303,198 times
I live in Manhattan. I love the town.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:46 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,166,444 times
Singlemom - In in Stinky Dodge city right now. I'm trying to sell my house to get the "hell out of dodge" Too many "illegals" - Not enuff shopping, etc. I know all about the illegals and how they get away with driving with no insurance, licenses, etc, etc. They cops here just shrug and slap them on the hand and allow them to drive away. Gangs - which the town tries to keep quiet about. My husband has lived in KS all his life and he says it's way over do to get out of KS.

My husband has a good job here, he's a manager, so we're able to live comfortably. For the most part many do not make enuff money either. Unless you want to work in meat packing plants for the rest of your life (Dodge city has 2)

Old 12-16-2006, 05:06 PM

14 posts, read 130,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Singlemom - In in Stinky Dodge city right now. I'm trying to sell my house to get the "hell out of dodge" Too many "illegals" - Not enuff shopping, etc. I know all about the illegals and how they get away with driving with no insurance, licenses, etc, etc. They cops here just shrug and slap them on the hand and allow them to drive away. Gangs - which the town tries to keep quiet about. My husband has lived in KS all his life and he says it's way over do to get out of KS.

My husband has a good job here, he's a manager, so we're able to live comfortably. For the most part many do not make enuff money either. Unless you want to work in meat packing plants for the rest of your life (Dodge city has 2)
I would recommend getting as far away from SW Kansas as possible.. head East if you want to stay in the state. That's where I am aiming for. Kansas is a good state just not in SW Kansas. It's all the illegals.. it's just nasty. I know it.. I couldn't believe my eyes when I went back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas