Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 04:56 PM

5 posts, read 20,518 times

Advertisements

Eudora is also a growing town close to Lawrence. Many of the towns other have mentioned are really good. It all just depends on what your looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 10:01 PM

234 posts, read 786,359 times
Thanks! I've enjoyed all of your posts and tips concerning life in Kansas!

We are thinking of moving to Kansas, and we want to stay as far away from the big-city "yuppie" lifestyle as we possibly can!

Right now, we're thinking about cities around Hays. Does anyone know much about Grinnell, Kansas? My Dad was born there.

My husband lived in Topeka years ago when he was in the Air Force, and he never wanted to leave! He said it was the best place he ever lived, and really appreciated all of the friendly people who made him feel "right at home."

This time, we want to live in a small, rural town, with a bit larger town nearby. (Not too big.) We are sick, sick, sick of big city life, and all that goes with it!

My husband receives a retirement, and we sell on E-bay, so we might be ok anywhere!

Really appreciate any advice you might have for us! Happy Holidays!! Thanks! Claire in AZ!

Old 12-26-2006, 12:57 AM

6 posts, read 28,640 times
Im so with you on this one. My mom moved from denver 9 years ago and due to recent marriage issues i moved in with my mom. Im in Bird City Kansas. I love it, with no moeny and 2 kids i have managed to stay above water for over a month now. The homes are cheap and there are some nice ones here. But there is a dairy farm that is going to be built soon so the prices on the homes are going up. My sisters house is 7 bedrooms 2 baths 3 stories kind of. It was origionally (years ago before she baught it) was an under ground home so its a basement home with 2 stories up (with full kitchen on basement and main level). She only paid $45,000. Im looking at a 2 bdrm home now for $15,000. Cost of liveing is not much at all. To get to a little bigger city is not too bad. We have goodland 40 minutes south, Colby 1 1/2 hours drive and the same with mccook nebraska.
There is about 450 people here. Everyone is nice and friendly. Theres alot of business opurtunities here, if ebay dont work out. I have my own business and i started in denver but all my sells were here.
Good luck. removed

Last edited by Marka; 12-27-2006 at 01:30 AM..

Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Locate somewhere on the outskirts of Topeka and you will be very happy i think! All you need in Topeka with short driving distances as well as nice down to earth people and no real traffic problems. Hays Ks is getting out there. A long road to anywhere else. Imo.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:39 PM

Versatile:

Thanks for writing. Is there any danger that small cities on the outskirts of Topeka might be pegged for development soon? This is our worst fear!

Out here in the West, small towns an hour, or even two hours away from a major city up end up becoming suburbs eventually.

When homes become too expensive in the city, the builders keep offering cheaper homes, on the outskirts of town...and this is how small cities keep getting "swallowed up" and turned into suburbs, or "satellites" of larger cities. YUK!!

I'd love to hear more about your life in the Topeka area. Thanks for writing, Claire/BHC

Old 12-26-2006, 07:44 PM

Wolfy:

Thanks for your letter and the info about Bird City. Glad you are so happy there.

How much do you think homes will go up? Hope you can buy that house for $15,000. I will check out the link you sent me, thanks!!

Do you have a lot of community events and activities in town? What type of work do most people do? I'd love to hear more about the area. What was life in Denver like?

Thanks again for writing. Happy New Year....Claire/BHC

Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertlovers View Post
Versatile:

Thanks for writing. Is there any danger that small cities on the outskirts of Topeka might be pegged for development soon? This is our worst fear!

Out here in the West, small towns an hour, or even two hours away from a major city up end up becoming suburbs eventually.

When homes become too expensive in the city, the builders keep offering cheaper homes, on the outskirts of town...and this is how small cities keep getting "swallowed up" and turned into suburbs, or "satellites" of larger cities. YUK!!

I'd love to hear more about your life in the Topeka area. Thanks for writing, Claire/BHC
There are not really any small cities around Topeka. Just a few old small towns as they once were. I think overall the growth of Topeka that would be as you describe would be between Lawrence and Topeka. I do not live in Topeka nor even Ks. Others on this forum should have more in depth info for you. A trip to Topeka and the surrounding area will give you a wealth of knowledge that cannot be described on this forum. Try to talk with county officials about where the growth is headed.Any developments have to have the infrastrucure such as water,electric,sewage and schools. The population of the area just will not support much growth The growth we are talking about is in no relation to the size of growth you are referring to. IMO. Another consideration is the closness of Kansas City and the amenities you might need or enjoy. This puts you within easy driving distance to a International airport. More shopping than you can handle, Major Sports, etc etc. There are many people that commute from Topeka to Kansas City to work. Approx. 60 miles. As soon as you get out of the city limits of Topeka it is very rural. Come take a look. The terrain is rolling hills and much like western Mo. The Capitol building in the center of town is beautiful. I have been there at high noon and the traffic is just the same as nonexistant in relation to the areas you mention. IMO. More questions?

Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,607 times
Question Job opportunity in Lenexa

Howdy,
my family and I are contemplating a move to Lenexa from Tucson, Arizona. We are interested in forming a foundation with an established Christian church that has a private school as well. Any information regarding churches is much appreciated. In addition, what should be some changes we are probably not expecting?

Old 12-27-2006, 03:35 PM

The only unexpected thing that comes to my mind is. Buying a new automobile. Doesn't matter which side you live on i think it is the same. Buy a new vehicle in Mo and live in Ks. Then you are going to pay sales tax in Mo and Ks. That is a suprise you might not expect.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:34 AM

Versatile:

Thanks for the information. Will check it out. Happy New Year! More soon.
BHC/Claire
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas