Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:46 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Kansas and have been around most of the state. The state of course has a famous reputation for being flat but there are some hills.
Anyone know or ever seen the largest hill in Kansas and where it might be? And DON'T say Mt. Sunflower as I am not asking for the highest point but the largest hill in elevation top to bottom and Mt. Sunflower is someone's idea of a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:59 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I don't really know, but some of the larger hills that are noticeable are found in the Flint Hills region and the Smoky Hills region. I like the more noticeable "buttes" out in NW Kansas around the Arikaree Breaks which is in Cheyenne County.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:40 PM

99 posts, read 455,827 times
You have choices of along the Republican River in NW kansas, along the Saline river in central Kansas or along the Kaw or Blue river in eastern Kansas. Those are the only places that have bluffs of which you speak. You would have to contact Geological Survey in Topeka to find out which particular hill had the greatest rise.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:27 PM

266 posts, read 831,956 times
Mt. Oread in Lawrence. I understand that geologically it is actually a mountain, at least that was the story when I was at KU. Mount Oread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM

69 posts, read 236,968 times
It felt like the University of Kansas. Walking across that campus felt like a long hill.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:13 PM

188 posts, read 933,686 times
Coronado Heights near Lindsborg is fairly tall but don't know if it is tallest in Kansas.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 AM

18 posts, read 78,301 times
Default Maybe not biggest but a nice view

Though this not the answer you're looking for I have a couple of places that have great views of surrounding areas. Southwest of Larned is Pawnee Rock - the only hill in the area and has a drive up to the top. Great view of the whole area. Native Americans used it to scope out the area.
Go north of Hays to Rooks County and there's a hill west of Plainville that when you stand on it you can see Hays. North of Plainville and to the east (you can see from the highway) is a two-humped hill that's very high and the Native Americans used those as well plus in Rooks County is another hill called Sugar Loaf but it's way off the beaten track. And between Medicine Lodge and Coldwater are those big rolling hills too.
And if you go south of Coldwater almost to the Oklahoma line there's a canyon - yes, a real canyon at least a couple of hundred feet deep. It's west of a spot on the road called Buttermilk.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:54 PM

17 posts, read 108,676 times
It has go to be the 4th street overpass hill in Pittsburg, KS......."the sledding hill" !!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 AM

99 posts, read 455,827 times
"According to experts at the Kansas Geological Survey office at KU, Fremont's Knob is the tallest hill in the state, based on an elevation of 418 feet above average terrain. Named for John Fremont, known as the nation's "pathfinder of the West," the hill is located on private property near K-18 highway east of Manhattan."

Old 08-07-2008, 10:18 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim West View Post
"According to experts at the Kansas Geological Survey office at KU, Fremont's Knob is the tallest hill in the state, based on an elevation of 418 feet above average terrain. Named for John Fremont, known as the nation's "pathfinder of the West," the hill is located on private property near K-18 highway east of Manhattan."
Thanks Jim, that's what I was looking for. 418 feet is a pretty good sized hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas