Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansuck View Post
Granted you have a point, but 70 percent of the people who move to kansas move to Wichita area. So these are who I am speaking to not some one moving to far west kansas on the Col. Border.
I'm sort of a demographics geek ,and your thought that 70% of growth in Kansas goes to Wichita intrigued me to do some research. Since this is really a totally different topic, I wanted to start a new thread.

I came up with some interesting data. (this is all population change from 2000-2009 from the US census web site)

First off, there are 105 counties in Kansas. Of those, a whopping 85 of those counties lost population between 2000 and 2009.

Of the counties that gained only six added more than 5000 new residents in nearly a decade. Nearly all of the counties that did add people added under 1000 residents.

Kansas counties gained 176,480 new residents from 2000-2009, but counties lost 57,483 for a net gain of only 118,997. So lets look at the counties that gained.

The Kansas side of the KC area added 111,767 residents (which includes Lawrence and a loss of 2,772 in Wyandotte County)

The Wichita MSA added 40,638 residents (which includes a loss of 2,459 in Sumner County)

Manhattan/Junction City area added 14,047 residents

Topeka area added 6,024 residents.

So this is where the new residents moved to.

KC area 66%
Wichita area 23%
Manhattan area 8%
Topeka area added 2%
The rest of KS added 1% of the new residents (mostly in a few counties, rural KS is a net loss and a pretty big one).

So basically, if you factor in losses in WyCo, nearly 70% of all new residents in the entire state of Kansas moved to Johnson County. One county. And that one county is nothing more than a suburb of a metro area anchored in Missouri.

Wichita holds it own and does well, the Manhattan area is doing ok. The rest of the state is typically losing people.

This is quite interesting. I think I will do the same for Missouri and see how things break down there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 03:10 PM

103 posts, read 259,840 times
good post

Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm sort of a demographics geek ,and your thought that 70% of growth in Kansas goes to Wichita intrigued me to do some research. Since this is really a totally different topic, I wanted to start a new thread.

I came up with some interesting data. (this is all population change from 2000-2009 from the US census web site)

First off, there are 105 counties in Kansas. Of those, a whopping 85 of those counties lost population between 2000 and 2009.

Of the counties that gained only six added more than 5000 new residents in nearly a decade. Nearly all of the counties that did add people added under 1000 residents.

Kansas counties gained 176,480 new residents from 2000-2009, but counties lost 57,483 for a net gain of only 118,997. So lets look at the counties that gained.

The Kansas side of the KC area added 111,767 residents (which includes Lawrence and a loss of 2,772 in Wyandotte County)

The Wichita MSA added 40,638 residents (which includes a loss of 2,459 in Sumner County)

Manhattan/Junction City area added 14,047 residents

Topeka area added 6,024 residents.

So this is where the new residents moved to.

KC area 66%
Wichita area 23%
Manhattan area 8%
Topeka area added 2%
The rest of KS added 1% of the new residents (mostly in a few counties, rural KS is a net loss and a pretty big one).

So basically, if you factor in losses in WyCo, nearly 70% of all new residents in the entire state of Kansas moved to Johnson County. One county. And that one county is nothing more than a suburb of a metro area anchored in Missouri.

Wichita holds it own and does well, the Manhattan area is doing ok. The rest of the state is typically losing people.

This is quite interesting. I think I will do the same for Missouri and see how things break down there as well.
I understand why Wyandotte county is losing population as it is an older area of the KC area. But why is Sumner county losing population? I understand it's not suburban but it is close enough to commute to Wichita and some areas are exurban in nature. Wichita seems to be fairly sprawling for it's size, so I'm sure driving 20 miles into the city is nothing.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
I understand why Wyandotte county is losing population as it is an older area of the KC area. But why is Sumner county losing population? I understand it's not suburban but it is close enough to commute to Wichita and some areas are exurban in nature. Wichita seems to be fairly sprawling for it's size, so I'm sure driving 20 miles into the city is nothing.
I don't think many "city slickers" would enjoy living in the wheat fields of Sumner County. That area is prime agricultural land.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Lawrence and Manhattan have both grown by over 10% since the 2000 census. These are the places that comprise most of the younger population of the state as they are college towns. JOCO is a growth area obviously, but many now prefer the MO suburban areas as well due to the lower cost of living.
Wichita only has growth due to the very very young demographics inherent in a socially conservative region of the state.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:15 PM

1,355 posts, read 4,184,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I don't think many "city slickers" would enjoy living in the wheat fields of Sumner County. That area is prime agricultural land.
I just base that off example of my area, Okc. Kingfisher county which is almost entirely rural and a 20-45 minute drive from suburban areas has gained over 100 people over the last year, per census estimates. Maybe it's just because we're a bigger city but I somewhat would expect to see the same from Wichita.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wichita only has growth due to the very very young demographics inherent in a socially conservative region of the state.
"The latest estimates, which were released this week, show that Sedgwick County gained 8,547 residents between July 1, 2008, and July 1, 2009.

The growth was partly the result of births (8,118) outnumbering deaths (4,038), the figures show. More than half of the growth was the result of people moving into the county. The figures show that 992 of the 4,503 new residents moved from other countries."

http://www.kansas.com/2010/03/27/124...-to-hit-a.html

Also, the city has seen rapid growth amongst its Hispanic and Asian populations.

EDIT: I find Greensburg and its "Greensburg Greentown" to be intriguing. Definitely not your typical western, rural Kansas town (which obviously has everything to do with the attention it has received since the tornado a few years ago). Here's a recent article about some of the initiatives they're undergoing. I wonder if it'll just be a fluke or if the town will actually see growth in the future.

Last edited by athfo; 04-07-2010 at 07:47 PM..

Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
I wonder if the growth of Wichita can be attributed to its Proximity to Texas as well as the south west. Some of the fastest growing metro's and cities are in Texas and the Southwest.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
This is true of all of the high prairie states, so far as I know... (Except ND!)
The rural areas are shrinking exponentially, but the cities are making up for it with growth.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Default People are leaving Kansas

Article today in the NY TIMES about people now leaving Kansas as many of them are victims of Governor Brownback's tax experiment that IMO is doomed to failure, as were all the other trickle down efforts since the Reagan era.

IMO the Governor of KS is simply following the Koch Bros playbook of destroying public employee unions (especially teacher unions), destroying public education in favor of religious schools that will eventually be funded with public tax monies, and enriching the wealthy even more at the expense of the working classes.

I've seen articles elsewhere that teachers are fleeing Kansas. No business person wants to bring or start a business in a state where their kids can't get a good education or cannot find the educated workforce that's needed to compete in the global economy.

Our governments are being bought out from under us by a very cynical cabal of obscenely wealthy characters who care not about 99% of us.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas