Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 26,209 times

Advertisements

My partner and I live in Atlanta where we are in the process of adopting a baby and our family in Kentucky would like us to move closer to them once the baby arrives. They live in London. We want to live in the country just outside a metro area. Where would we find the most acceptance, Lexington, Louisville, or Knoxville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 PM

141 posts, read 753,128 times
"Partners" are not accepted anywhere. God even left the word out of the Bible.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:02 AM

169 posts, read 373,626 times
Wow! Great response Deo and just what the op requested, your biblical interpretation of how he should live his life.
Back to the point. By DeoGratias response I would say that moving near it shouldn't be an option. Not all Kentuckians are that intolerant but obviously some still live in a hate-filled world. I can't speak with certainty of the others but Louisville is by far the most cosmopolitan of the cities you listed and would seem the best choice. You will find a large support group there.
One final note, Mike. I'm sorry you have to live in a world inhabited by so much hatred. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:33 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,492,791 times
Kentucky is unfortunately filled with those "god fearin" types that commented above. To the point thats its almost like some plague that spreads through ignorance (esp in a lot of the rural areas).

Anyways, having spent a lot of time in all of those places mentioned, I'd say you'd be most accepted in the Louisville area. Its way more metropolitan than the others, even the outskirts. The towns that surround Lexington are not exactly a haven of diversity, plus Lex gets a lot of bleed-over from Eastern KY folks that come there to work or for an outing in the "big city". Knoxville is OK, but still has a lot of "good ol boy" mentality. The university helps though, but its still there. Trust me, go with Louisville.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,684,904 times
Lightbulb Excuse Me For Butting In Here, But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
"Partners" are not accepted anywhere. God even left the word out of the Bible.
The OP asked, with clarity, where they and their partner would be accepted...they didn't ask for a snarky, one-line nastygram, purporting to speak on what God did and did not put in the Bible...

In Kentucky, here in Ohio, and everywhere else, Christians and Christianity are getting a bad rap...this is due to SOME members of the Christian community fostering the belief that they are the 'Lifestyle Sheriffs' of the Universe, and if you don't live how they live, worship how they worship, or wear white after Labor Day, then you're some Godless heathen, headed straight for Hell on greased rails...Yeah 'God said this' and 'God said that', but here's another take---don't you think God sometimes says 'I wish some of these folk would shut up and quit trying to tell everybody else what I said'?

To the OP...do your due diligence, there are many places here on the 'Net that should be able to give you the information you seek, without being hassled by some jabroni who takes it on himself to lecture you about what God left out of the Bible...safe travels and best of luck in your search to you and your partner---and I will go with those who say that Louisville may be the best KY destination

Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,215,710 times
"partner"----------nuff said

Old 09-16-2010, 04:35 PM

141 posts, read 753,128 times
Kentucky is "unfortunately" filled with all sorts of people like me, and unfortunately we like to read our Bibles and unfortunately we like to live by them.

The original poster wants to know where they'd be accepted. My answer is that they won't. Aberrant and sinful lifestyles aren't accepted in Kentucky. If you want to live that way, try California, New York, or France. Eternity, however, will be spent in much warmer climes.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM

871 posts, read 2,251,215 times
Quote:
Kentucky is "unfortunately" filled with all sorts of people like me, and unfortunately we like to read our Bibles and unfortunately we like to live by them.

The original poster wants to know where they'd be accepted. My answer is that they won't. Aberrant and sinful lifestyles aren't accepted in Kentucky. If you want to live that way, try California, New York, or France. Eternity, however, will be spent in much warmer climes.
well then...we ought to put you as head of the tourism department. im sure theyll be moving right on in...

but to the OP, yea, this is bible belt country. louisville much, much less so, so if you want acceptance your best bet is to go there. knoxville and lexington are bible belted too. lexington definitely has its fair share of folks who agree with deogratias here. i know some people in lexington who are okay with gayness on all levels, and quite a few that disagree with and and think that it is wrong, but believe that people should still be able to do what they please anyway. and then there are some that are just not alright with it on any level. the country areas will be the worst. so...yea. take from all that what you will. nobody is gonna beat you up or anything, but dont expect a wave of love and acceptance either. it kind of depends on who you hang around with, as lexington does have a sizable gay population

Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,492,791 times
Quote:

Uh huh. Keep using that Bible as a crutch for your own personal delusions & hate mongering. Cause when you're dead & gone, up there in, ahem, "heaven", that's all people will remember you as.

Now please go away & take it somewhere else. No one came to a city forum for a Bible lesson. Shouldn't you & your folks be somewhere trying to disprove dinosaurs didn't exist or that the Earth is only 6,000 years old?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:46 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,794,664 times
Quote:
Kentucky is unfortunately filled with those "god fearin" types that commented above. To the point thats its almost like some plague that spreads through ignorance (esp in a lot of the rural areas).
You can live in KY if you're gay. However, there is a 5% "gay tax" levied on both partners yearly.

If you stay in the closet though, you can probably squeak by without paying the "gay tax."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky